Game Dev contest and/or interest

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
Not sure if this topic belongs in this section of the forum. So if the moderators decide it belongs elsewhere, please move it to the appropriate place.

Way back in the day, getting close to almost a decade now, the Escapist of yesteryear hosted a Zero-Punctuation themed game development contest. (circa 2009, if I'm not mistaken) While it wasn't a huge deal at the time, it was a fun community event, and I think a fair number of people got a lot out of it. Now that the Escapist seems to be reviving to some extent, I wanted to check in and see if there was any interest in re-visiting this event, for a modern audience.

The various tools available for such a project have expanded significantly. These days, there are all sorts of great options for small-scale game prototyping. Sadly, a standardized on-line plugin is no longer available. (RIP Flash) But the greater capabilities of HTML5 and WebGL should make an in-browser solution possible for community playback and feedback.

I have a few other thoughts and ideas, and will continue to develop them in this thread. But I mainly wanted to check in with the community here and see what kind of interest exists for this sort of thing. I also don't think that it would have to adhere to a formal contest, and would be fine exploring other indie-dev related topics, such as an Escapist-themed game jam.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
In the original ZP-themed game dev competition, users were limited to using Flash as their development platform. While this was a bit of a limitation, it also made quite a bit of sense. One of the objectives of the original contest was to have all of the entries playable on-line, in pretty much any browser. At the time, that basically meant Flash or nothing. HTML5 was on the horizon at the time, but a lot of the standards for it were still in flux, and very few browsers then could legitimately claim to support it fully. And while there were a few javascript libraries in the works for more advanced graphics, they were very young and much less reliable.

So Flash was the order of the day. ActionScript 3.0, the Flash-native programming language, had only been out for a few short years at that point. And anyone hoping to put some real development in would most likely have had to learn and digest a healthy amount of AS3 in order to stand a chance of cooking up something. There were actually a few early game engines available using AS3, most notably Flixel and FlashPunk. But overall, it was still some fairly strict limitations using some relatively esoteric technology that wouldn't be accessible to very broad userbase.

How times have changed in the intervening nine years. Thanks to the maturation of HTML5, as well as the continued growth of browser-based hardware support, in-browser games without Flash is now the standard. The venerable Flash plug-in platform itself is dead and gone. (a victim of Steve Jobs, as well as long-running poor decisions from Adobe) And a huge boom in game-development-related middleware has left the market just swimming in fantastic options for game engines and frameworks, the majority of which support exporting to HTML5. The tools back then severly limited who could reasonably participate in game development. The tools of today have opened things up to pretty much anyone who's interested. All skill levels have options that could empower their efforts. Having a game be playable in a browser is now little more than the smallest of hurdles, easily overcome.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
One of the elements that I felt held back the original contest a bit was the dearth of game-ready graphical assets. The Escapist at the time supplied a very basic kit that had a few extremely boilerplate graphical elements, mainly a ZP-themed background graphic and a decent cut-out logo. But that was it, and all of the contestants were on their own to come up with their own in-game graphics. You could tell this just from playing the entries. The quality and consistency of the game graphics were all over the board. A few of them were pretty good, some of them were clearly rushed, and some of them were more than a bit messy. The variety wasn't really an issue, so much as the broad swath of quality, and most importantly, the time.

Creating in-game graphics takes a long time. A really long time. And the original contest took place over a month and a half. The more time that the contestants had to spend cooking up custom sprites and level graphics, the less time they had to work on the mechanics of the games themselves. And one thing that was clear from Yahtzee's reviews of the finished submissions was that he heavily preferred solid mechanics to graphical polish. I kind of agreed with him. Having nicely-made graphical assets is great, but it does not generally contribute to how the game plays.

My thought is that for a new approach, it might be a good idea for some members of the community to contribute graphical assets, and make them available to all participants. Not everyone is going to want to go all-in on a game submission. But some community members might be interested in cooking up some fan art, sprites, or 3D models. If such assets were made available freely as an option to all contestants, their use would be fair. This would allow community programmers or designers who do not have much art experience to participate without having to spend so much of their time on art assets. And it would give community artists who don't code or tinker with game engines a way to contribute, and even be credited for their contributions.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Sounds like solid fun, not sure how many souls you'd be able to recruit on the current Escapist though.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
bluegate said:
not sure how many souls you'd be able to recruit on the current Escapist though.
This is a good point. The Escapist is currently struggling to come back to some form of relevance after an extended period of decline and relative inactivity. With regular content updates, I believe that a decent number of fans will start trickling back, and perhaps even some new fans will join up. But it will take time. Not gonna happen overnight, and it would be unrealistic to think otherwise.

Thankfully, I'm really not in any hurry. I would like to get something like this to have some momentum by the 10th anniversary of the original ZP Game Dev contest. But that's fall of next year. And that's just the whole, big-round-number mentality. It doesn't have any particular significance outside of that. So even if it takes longer to get this off the ground, it wouldn't be the end of the world. With no major push, I can just keep checking on things, and occasionally providing information regarding game development. It's a subject that is near and dear to my heart, so I really enjoy sharing info.

Speaking of which, I should probably start listing off some of the game-dev tools that I've been going on about. Specifics can be useful. For the time being, I'll focus on tools that have a proven means of exporting games to HTML5. If anyone is interested, I can list off some other engines and tools later, that don't necessarily support web export.

I'll list things off in this order.

1. Full-Featured game engine toolsets. This category will contain entries that are mature, full-featured, and have some manner of editing environment.

2. Frameworks and Libraries. This category will be for tools that are more along the lines of coding frameworks. They may have a lot of features, but will usually not have a visual editing environment.

3. Game-style Specific Engines. These are the game engines that are focused on making very specific types of games. They will have a lot less flexibility, but do usually feature an easier path to content creation.

4. External Tools. This category is for separate software packages for making game-related content. This will include graphics programs, sound and music editing programs, and level editing.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I think this is a really interesting idea, I think though it would have to be advertised as happening on other sites since most the techies that used to be here may not even know the site is coming back yet. I would think getting it a bit more organized and presentable and then bringing it up on some of the other " tech geek sites" may bring some people in. Especially if the escapist is willing to put up some prizes/trinkets. Would be fun to see how it turns out!

I am more into the hardware end than software end, so I personally am in more of extreme PC modding, both on soldering Boards and assembling but also love crazy case modding. The way I view computers is they can be anything and be anywhere.. walls ceilings, floors, inside the furniture, toys, and even a beaver..

https://www.instructables.com/id/Compubeaver---%253e-How-to-case-mod-a-beaver---in-29-e/

In addition to drilling, welding,lighting, painting, molding ect.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
[strong]Full-Featured Game Engines[/strong]

Unity 3D [https://unity3d.com/]
This is one of the biggest engines in terms of reach. Over the past decade, it has grown to dominate the indie gaming scene, and is even regularly used by major studios for projects both large and small. The Asset Store that Unity established has been a huge sea-change in making game resources available to a wider audience, and empowering content creators to sell their wares. Unity strives to be a blank slate. It provides numerous tools, but very little in the way of guidelines. This creates a lot of possibility, but also places a lot more responsibility on the developer. Unity has a learning curve. Learning to work within its structure can yield impressive results. Attempting to circumvent its structure can be a study in frustration. Its influence over the small-scale and indie development scene has been profound.

Unreal Engine 4 [https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/what-is-unreal-engine-4]
While Unity may be ubiquitous in indie gaming, Unreal has forged its position as the titan of large-scale and big-budget development projects. A lot of major efforts in the game industry feature the Unreal Engine logo in their credits. While not quite as scalable as its rival, Unreal Engine 4 has altered its structure to become almost as flexible. It was originally tailored for first-person shooters, but can now be used for all manner of different games. (and frequently is) Unreal Engine 4 has always had a much stronger focus on high-end graphics and effects, and is regularly used by 3D artists to showcase their work. More flexible and resonable licensing in recent years have opened up Unreal Engine 4 to a wider audience of developers, placing it within the reach of smaller studios and individual creators. A visual scripting system even makes it more accessible to non-programmers. Definitely worth a look.

Amazon Lumberyard [https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/]
A relative newcomer to the scene, Lumberyard is a licensed branch of Cryengine, that Amazon has since customized. It has a substantial number of features, and is tightly integrated with Amazon's web services. (for obvious reasons) It is both free-to-use and open source. Like its predecessor, Cryengine, its graphical features are very impressive, allowing for some very convincing effects with the right artwork. This a younger engine, and is still growing and constantly changing. This means less documentation and user accounts, but also means that it can be expected to improve quite a bit in the near future. Definitely one to watch, and potentially try.

Xenko [http://xenko.com/]
This one is also a bit young, though perhaps not quite as much as you might think. It was developed by Silicon Studio, a well-known Japanese firm who have been working in engine tech for quite some time. They were the ones behind 3D Dot Game Heroes, and actually used that game as a test-bed for a lot of their engine technologies. Xenko was recently made open-source, and is now available for free. It has a strong C# focus, fully supporting one of the latest versions of that language. Because of its status a newer engine, it has a stronger focus on recent features and fresh technologies. It has a lot of recent deveopments, including Vulkan support and multi-threading. Definitely an up-and-comer with a lot to recommend it.

Godot [https://godotengine.org/]
Now this is definitely a scrappy small-scale newcomer. Originally developed as an in-studio engine, Godot was made open-source a few years ago, and has rapidly grown and developed into a smaller-scale version of the engines previously mentioned. While many of those engines have installations that measure in Gigabytes, Godot weighs in at less than 100 Megabytes. And yet it still provides a lot of the same features as its larger competitors. One particular point of note for developers is Godot's Linux support. Most engines on this list have little to no support for Linux. Godot's editing interface runs on Linux natively, and can deploy games to Linux natively. For dedicated penguin fans, this is a huge plus, making it the game engine of choice for the Linux faithful. While it features a custom scripting language, more recent versions of the engine have added C# support for scripting. A viable option for those who are truly working on a tight budget, and still want broad platform reach.

Armory 3D [https://armory3d.org/]
Perhaps the most recent addition to this list, Armory is a unique beast. It is not a complete engine by itself, but rather an extension for the Blender 3D modeling program. Previous versions of Blender included a built-in game engine that the user could play around with, and even use for commercial projects. But a lack of focus lead to this feature being abandoned. Armory is an effort to provide an alternative that integrates seamlessly into Blender. It actually uses Haxe, and several Haxe-related initiatives as its back-end support. The front-end uses Blender plug-ins to provide tools comparable to traditional game-engine software. Its initial version was only just released about a week ago, so it is extremely fresh and untested. We will have to see how it shapes up.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
[strong]Frameworks and Libraries[/strong]
This category is going to be a bit larger. There are a fairly large number of frameworks and libraries that are commonly used for video games. Dont' be surprised if I miss a few. I'm mainly going to be listing the bigger and more commonly used entries.

Monogame [http://www.monogame.net/]
Monogame is a fairly popular framework, with an interesting history. Mono is well known as a cross-platform C# port, and actually served as a crucial component in Unity 3D. But the actual basis for Monogame was the Microsoft-developed XNA library. Microsoft eventually abandoned XNA, but the community that had come to use the framework didn't. They ported the library and integrated it with Mono's cross-platform support. Now Monogame is a popular option for indie developers, and several major indie projects, including Stardew Valley, Flinthook, and Towerfall are built using it. Definitely one of the larger, more storied, and better supported of the indie-friendly frameworks.

Heaps.io [https://heaps.io/index.html]
A relative new-comer to the scene, Heaps.io is one of the few entries on any of these lists that uses Haxe as it's programming language. But despite its young age, it is still a promising contender. And one of the big projects that can claim its support is Dead Cells, a popular and well-received indie title. It's also a title that launched across numerous platforms with solid performance across all of them. Heaps.io's cross-platform support is nothing to sniff at. For anyone who knows how to code in Haxe, it is a compelling choice.

HaxeFlixel [https://haxeflixel.com/]
Originally just known as "Flixel", this framework was one of the most popular and widely used frameworks for Flash game development back in the day. It was originally written and ran in Flash's Actionscript 3.0 language. With the fall of Flash, it was successfully ported over to Haxe, and continues support thanks to initiatives like OpenFl. This engine is very much focused on 2D development, so don't be expecting next-gen graphics with it. But I've used it personally in the past, and for 2D development, it is actually quite flexible and capable. Not a bad starting point for coders who want to learn.

HaxePunk [https://haxepunk.com/]
Very much in the same vein as HaxeFlixel, HaxePunk started off as a Flash framework called FlashPunk. It enjoys much of the same cross-platform support, and is built on most of the same technologies. HaxePunk is slightly better thank HaxeFlixel when it comes to rapid prototyping, but aside from that the choice between the two is more a matter of personal preference. Thankfully, both are open source so you can try them for yourself and decide which you prefer.

Cocos 2D [http://cocos2d-x.org/]
A fairly popular option, this framework is extensively used for mobile game production. Once again, this engine is very much focused on 2D graphics, and would not really be appropriate for 3D game development.

Panda 3D [https://www.panda3d.org/]
An option that some people these days overlook, Panda 3D is one of the few Python game engines around. It is also one of the largest and most capable python game engines, having been used as the backbone of multiple major games. Specifically, it was used to develop Disney's Toon-Town, a popular child-focused MMORPG. While Panda 3D is not quite as graphically capable as some of the other engines on this list, it is one of the only entries that has been used to successfully launch and maintain a full MMORPG. It is also open-source, providing full modification to anyone using it. A solid option, especially if you are interested in developing in Python.

Id Tech [https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3]
The link I've provided here is to the Doom 3 source code, but every engine Id Software has developed from Doom 3 and back has been open-sourced. If you want to go old-school, and step back for some truly low-level coding, you can play around with these classic engines. The Id Tech engines are notorious for having great software renderers, solid networking implementations, and being some of the most cross-platform friendly engines around. (fans have ported them to an insane number of devices) They run fast and smooth, and have served as the backbone for a lot of different games over the years. The original Half Life was built on Id Tech. Be warned, most of these are written in straight C. Not even C++, just C. They get real low-level and real close to the hardware, so they are not for the faint of heart. These are engines for hard-core low-level programmers.

Simple Directmedia Layer [https://www.libsdl.org/]
This is a popular library that has been around for a long time. It provides low-level access to a lot of standard media functionality, and has served as the back-end for a lot of different games, as well as game engines. Its very common to run across this library in game development, as it is so extensively used by other frameworks and engines. There are ports and bindings that allow it to be used with numerous different languages, but it features no game-specific structures. This allows it to be used flexbility, but also means that it will not hold your hand in the slightest. This is the option to go with if you want to start from the ground up.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
[strong]Game-style Specific Engines[/strong]

RPG Maker MV [http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/rpg-maker-mv]
RPG Maker is a long-running series of game-making applications from a Japanese developer. It has been ported to various different platforms, including ports to some gaming platforms. (there was a recent release for the 3DS that was quite decent) But if you want to do some real development, you will want the PC version. You will also want the most recent MV release. The Ace release is decent, but does not have the same level of cross-platform support that MV does. Being able to deploy your game to almost any platform is a huge boon. The scripting system for it is based on javascript, and is relatively easy to learn. RPG Maker is designed for creating classic 2D JRPG-style games. If that's what you're into, then RPG Maker has you covered. It even has some bundled in content and character creation options that can help you get started immediately. Sadly, it is a commercial game engine, and not open source. You'll have to open up your wallet in order to use it. There is a trial version if you just want to poke at it a little, and it frequently goes on sale on Steam.

Ren'Py [https://www.renpy.org/]
This one has been around for a while. Ren'Py is one of the most widely-used engines for the construction of visual novels. It is open, and can be used free of charge. The scripting for it is done using Python, and is fairly easy to pick up. The scripting of its sequences uses pre-built commands, and is even easier still. If you know how to write and draw, you can construct a fairly sophisticated visual novel using Ren'Py. The community surrounding it is fairly active, so the engine has continued to be revised and updated. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the genre.

sandbox Game Maker [https://www.sandboxgamemaker.com/]
The sandbox Game Maker is a program that was spun off from the Cube 2 game engine. It is focused on producing first-person style games. (not necessarily shooters, but capable of that) It is extremely mod-friendly. Also, like it's predecessor, it allows for real-time level creation and editing in the engine itself. It even has support for multiple people to join the same game, and perform level editing together. Cube 2 was originally based on Quake 3's source code, and as such is able to use a lot of the same model and level formats. The graphics features for sandbox have been bumped up considerably from the Quake 3 days, with more advanced lighting and support for normal maps. Sadly, the community surrounding it hasn't been quite as active, so it is a bit more dated than some of the other options. If you want to make an old-school style competitive multiplayer shooter, looking at this or Cube 2 is a good idea.

Torque 3D [http://torque3d.org/]
I thought of putting this one in the editor section, but devided against it. While Torque can be used to develop different kinds of games, 1st and 3rd person shooters are its primary thrust. It was originally developed for the game Tribes 2. And for a while it was one of the premier engines for smaller indie developers. But as the middle-ware market heated up, Torque's more specific gameplay focsued started to work against it, and it declined in popularity. A little while ago, it was made open-source, and is now available to anyone interested. While it can theoretically be used to make any game, it is best suited for large-scale multiplayer on-line shooters. (like Tribes)

Twine [http://twinery.org/]
Twine is a surprisingly capable toolset for writing interactive fiction. (choose-your-own-adventures) It provides a visual interface that runs in a standard web browser, as well as a javascript-based scripting system to further expand on the dynamic nature of your stories. This is one of the easiest of these options to get into. It is a system that anyone who can write can just jump right in and start creating.

Adventure Game Studio (AGS) [http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/]
This one is a bit dated, but is still hanging around. AGS is usually the go-to engine for creating Sierra and Lucas-Arts style adventure games in the modern age. It has been used to produce all manner of titles. Because of the way it is structured, games produced using it can actually be run in adventure-game emulators such as SCUMMVM. It enables the construction of authentic point-and-click titles, with the same back-end structures and many of the same constraints. I've played around with it in the past. While some of its technical limitations are annoying, it does deliver when it comes to producing authentic point-and-click titles. A common tool for fans of the genre, and beginners who want to cut their teeth on something easy to understand.

Sep 24, 2008
I'm in the middle of learning Unity, C#, Blender and stuff for a project I'm going to work on solo. If helping can give me experience, I'm all ears. As long as people understand I'm literally just cracking open these videos and books for the first time

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
I've been using Unreal Engine for a few years now, at a pretty amateur level, although I'm now making a serious effort to produce a game that might actually reach a publishable state. I'm very interested in finding out if there's any sort of game dev community here on The Escapist, but I'm not sure I'm at the point where I'd want to, or be able to, collaborate with others. For one thing, my skillset is quite limited (and hence the games I work on are likewise limited). For another thing, I'm a complete arsehole who struggles to work well with others.

But if something gets going, I'll follow with interest!

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
[strong]External Tools[/strong]

GIMP [https://www.gimp.org/]
While a few games can be made without graphics, the majority of modern titles involve some sort of images. Pixel manipulation is a pretty basic standard for creating and optimizing visuals for games. The usual program that professional designers use for this purpose is Adobe Photoshop. But not everyone can afford Photoshop, which is not cheap. For the rest of, there is GIMP. The GNU Image Manipulation Program basically wraps up most of the same functionality as Photoshop into a solid open-source package. I install GIMP on just about every computer I use. Whether I'm just resizing a pic, or painting a texture, its the tool I reach for.

Inkscape [https://inkscape.org/en/]
There's more than one way to make 2D images. While GIMP might be what I use to push pixels, Inkscape is what I use for vector illustrations. Vectors are an alternative approach to visuals, where graphics are devised using mathematically-defined paths instead of mosaic-style pixels. Because vectors are pixel-independent, they scale much better, allowing them to remain crisp and clean no matter what size you view them at. Vectors have traditionally been the favored format of printers, and are the go-to approach for many graphic designers when they create logos or fonts. I'm personally very fond of vectors, and use Inkscape frequently. It is also free-to-use, and available for most of the major platforms.

Blender 3D [https://www.blender.org//]
And now we step up to the realm of 3D. Blender is the open-source equivalent of programs like 3D Studio Max. It's the usual option for modelers and animators on a budget. It also has a unique interface that can be a turn off for some, but is usually appealing to programmers. I've been using Blender for a while, and love it. Once you get over the initial learning curve, you begin to realize that almost anything is possible with this program. Not only can you model and sculpt to prodce game-ready 3D characters, you can also texture, paint, produce and edit video, composite, just an insane number of features. Blender has been around for a while, with a constantly active community. It also has a capable scripting system using Python, and an active community of users who produce additional plug-in tools for it. Highly recommended for prospective 3D modelers and animators. Just be ready for a lot of learning. Like any 3D program, it's not the kind of thing you can pick up in just one day.

Sculptris [http://pixologic.com/sculptris/]
With the increasing popularity of advanced shading techniques like normal mapping, the need for extremely high-detail 3D modeling has risen considerably. Not everyone is looking to make low-polycount models. And frankly, some artists benefit from having a simpler, more streamlined interface. As much as I love Blender, it is a complex piece of software. For those users, there are programs like Sculptris. While Sculptris doesn't feature the complete feature-set that Blender does, what it does provide is a clean, simple interface, and a really nifty adaptive-detail scuplting system. It is very useful for creating high-definition 3D models, and much easier to learn and get into.

Audacity [https://www.audacityteam.org/]
You need to record, edit, or alter audio. Audacity is the program for you. It provides all the tools you need for managing a personal audio studio. You can even combine it with the audio features on a Mac to perform multi-track simultaneous recording from multiple microphones. (I've tested this feature personally, it works like a charm) Most people who know about audio editing likely already have a copy installed.

Musagi [http://www.drpetter.se/project_musagi.html]
This is a music composition project by the fantasitc DrPetter. I strongly recommend poking around his homepage, as he has produced several game-related toosls that are very impressive and useful. He was actually the original creator of Sculptris. Musagi allows you to create sophisticated musical compositions.

Milky Tracker [http://milkytracker.titandemo.org/]
MOD Tracking is an approach to music composition that seeks to use small audio samples as instruments, and then adjust the settings for the playback of those samples in order to generate music. Because it's based on audio samples instead of synthesizers, its playback is independent of hardware. It has been a popular method of composing video-game music for quite some time. Milky Tracker is an active program for creating music in this format, and is available across many different platforms.

Tiled map editor [https://www.mapeditor.org/]
This one is another project that has been around for a while. And it's come a long way in that time. It is now commonly considered to be THE tool for 2D map generation/editing. It is relatively simple, but can do a lot. It allows you to define a tile set, and then use that tile set to create extensive maps/levels. For old-school tile-based games, it is basically a must. It exports all of its creations in an XML format that is very easy to interpret and load. There are several game engines that actively support Tiled's XML format, and can load it natively. For anyone looking to work on 2D tile-based games, this is a very easy recommendation.

Visual Studio Code [https://code.visualstudio.com/]
Visual Studio proper has been the industry-standard for code creation for a while. But Microsoft's own lite alternative is rapidly gaining ground on its big brother, especially in the indie space. Visual Studio Code is a much more stripped-down IDE, paring the experience down to the essential elements. This more minimal approach provides a leaner, more focused program. Code also has much better cross-platform support, being availalbe on all the major operating systems. It's extension feature allows functionality to be added as needed, instead of being bundled in from the beginning. Code highlighting and intellisense round out the package. Many indie and open-source projects have started shifting over to using Code as their default IDE and editor. A great cross-platform code editing interface.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
[strong]Special Mention[/strong]
Just a quick shout-out to a few efforts that don't fall into a particular category, but that I felt warrant attention.

Tilengine [http://www.tilengine.org/]
A project that has been in development for a few years, and was recently made open-source. This is not a game engine, but rather a unique rendering engine designed to mimic the old-school video game console approach. It is a scanline renderer, written in C. The downside is that it is basically limited to old-school 2D sprite-based games. The upside is that it allows for some pretty stellar performance and features within those constraints. Rather than attempt to simulate old-school consoles, it instead takes a similar approach, but with a wealth of modern features. (true transparency, color blending, sprite and layer rotation, etc...) It also has full native support for the Tiled map editor, essentially giving it a capable level editor. Thanks to its C base, it has great performance and a wide platform reach. It also has numerous bindings for different languages, making it flexible for different developers. It's even possible to embed it into other engines and/or projects. For anyone interested in making old-school 2D games, this is well worth a look.

Sep 24, 2008
Richard Kain said:
[strong]External Tools[/strong]

Blender 3D [https://www.blender.org//]
And now we step up to the realm of 3D. Blender is the open-source equivalent of programs like 3D Studio Max. It's the usual option for modelers and animators on a budget. It also has a unique interface that can be a turn off for some, but is usually appealing to programmers. I've been using Blender for a while, and love it. Once you get over the initial learning curve, you begin to realize that almost anything is possible with this program. Not only can you model and sculpt to prodce game-ready 3D characters, you can also texture, paint, produce and edit video, composite, just an insane number of features. Blender has been around for a while, with a constantly active community. It also has a capable scripting system using Python, and an active community of users who produce additional plug-in tools for it. Highly recommended for prospective 3D modelers and animators. Just be ready for a lot of learning. Like any 3D program, it's not the kind of thing you can pick up in just one day.
Hey, I would love to pick your brain about Blender 3d. I'm taking a course with it, and things that are happening with my computer are just not happening with the instructors. Like I have the hardest time picking the vertix the instructor wants. I've restarted the project many times, did everything up to the same point, but... the program acts like it has a mind of its own a lot of the time.

What worked yesterday, it feels like Blender Goes "... Nah, I'm going to pretend you could never do that. Have fun!"

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
What worked yesterday, it feels like Blender Goes "... Nah, I'm going to pretend you could never do that. Have fun!"

There are a lot of context-sensitive controls in Blender which often depend on what "mode" you are currently in. I recommend learning some of the keyboard short-cuts, as these often allow you to quickly switch to the mode or type of change that you want quickly. The space-bar is used to pull up context-specific quick menus, very handy. The tab button is used to begin editing mode for whatever object you've selected. Some of the letter buttons are used to decide what kind of change you are going to make. "G" will grab or move, "R" will rotate, and "S" will scale.

But more important than any of that is the button bar in every Blender window. In Blender, there are NO SPECIFIC WINDOWS. In most other programs, you will only ever have a single instance of any window type. In Blender, all windows are fundamentally the same. What they display is determined by what you select in that button bar. There's a little button in the corner that determines what portion of the program that window is displaying. You can click on that button at any time, and pick a different portion of the program. Any window in Blender can be changed to any display type you want. A 3D window can be changed into a UV editing window. A file window can be changed into a node window. Even the "menu" bar at the top of the interface isn't actually a bar. It's just a preferences window, and can be scaled or changed just like any other window.

Once you "get" this, it becomes possible to access any part of the program at any time. Just change one of your windows to whatever part of the program you need to access. Combine that with the space-bar menu shortcut, and you can essentially get to any part of the program quickly and easily.

For your specific case, selecting vertices is usually a matter of changing over to a 3D window, selecting the object you want using the cursor, pressing the Tab button to go into editing mode, and then checking the button bar for that particular 3D window to see what the selection mode is set to. You can change what types of sub-objects you can select, and the change persists across sessions. If the window is set to select edges, you will only be able to select edges, not vertices. Make sure you switch the selection mode to vertex, there's a button for it, as well as buttons for edges and faces. If you don't know which is which, just hover over them briefly to see the hint text label. Also, you will probably want to adjust the display mode. This is also in the same button bar for the 3D window, and will give you several options for the 3D Window display. I like solid-flat-shaded for selecting vertices, and I only go semi-transparent or wire-frame if I need to hunt down a hard-to-find vertex. Also, clicking the "B" button while in edit mode should switch your cursor over to an adjustable circle, which allows you to select more than one vertex, or "paint" your selection. It can be very handy.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
Just a little note. I was playing around with Tilengine, and I managed to integrate it with PyGame. PyGame is a library that essentially gives you SDL bindings for Python. (Simple Directmedia Layer) I was able to hook Tilengine up so that it handled the majority of the rendering, and then PyGame takes over for the input, the audio, and any additional rendering I might need to do. It was a good test on how Tilengine can be used in conjunction with other systems.

Just last night, I fired up my copy of Unity, and started to see whether or not I could tie Tilengine into that as well. I didn't get any further than initializing the engine object, but I did get that far. (which was a pretty big step, as it involved multiple DLLs) I'm going to see if I can't get Tilengine drawing into a render texture. Should be a fun little challenge, and would allow Unity to serve as a cross-platform deployment tool.