Game Dev Quits Job With Help From Mario

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Game Dev Quits Job With Help From Mario

[puzzle=3]How do you break the news to your coworkers that you're leaving your job at a major game studio to pursue indie development? With a game, of course.

Jarrad Farbs decided to leave his position as a developer at 2K Australia [http://www.2kaustralia.com/] in order to take up independent game development full-time. But he wanted to let people know about his upcoming departure in a memorable, yet legal and non-horrifying, way. Thus was born A Message for 2K Australia.

He stayed up all night working on his resignation, a short, playable Flash game featuring Mario delivering the news along with a very nice farewell message. "Thank you 2K Australia!" the game says at its conclusion. "You gave me a paycheck, an incredible project and a world-class team to learn from. But my princess is in another castle."

I'm a bit envious of Farb's resignation because I've never been able to engineer such a memorable departure for myself. I lack the creativity to come up with something this cool and I'm too scared of prison to commit arson, so generally I just give my notice and then stop showing up for work. It's effective, but on the whole I think I prefer Jarrad's method. Give it a try for yourself on his blog at farbs.org [http://www.farbs.org/Message.html].

via: Kombo [http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12918]

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I have one complaint: WHAT WAS HE THINKING when he came up with the flashing colors!? Have mercy!

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
The idea is awesome! Copyright is an issue though:
Ragdrazi said:
Hopefully he'll be a little more respectful of copyright at his next job, amirite?
Nevertheless, one thing prevails: The fact that games can be used as a creative (and entertaining) method of delivering messages! Yay for narrative! :)

PS: "One More Time" at the end...priceless.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
calelogan said:
The idea is awesome! Copyright is an issue though:
Come on, do you really expect a guy who's quitting and knows that the game he's worked on will be the property of the company he's quitting to care about that? Really?

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Haha best way to quit a job ever.
Btw did anyone else notice a few bugs in his little flash mario resignation?
Maybe its for the best that he quit :)

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Ragdrazi said:
Hopefully he'll be a little more respectful of copyright at his next job, amirite?
It's called "fair use" and its perfectly legit.

But anyway, that was probably the coolest resignation of all time.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
And hidden in the code is his REAL message to 2K...

Kidding, of course, but it would be hilarious.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
And hidden in the code is his REAL message to 2K...

Kidding, of course, but it would be hilarious.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Chrono Trigger and LBP were used to propose for marriage and now we get this?!? I wonder what the next life-altering decision will be made cooler with videogames?

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
If I were to ever resign from my job that's how I would want to go out. It was fun and he let everyone know that he enjoyed his time there.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
That was an awesome way to leave your job, I should try. First I need a job though.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
blackcherry said:
Cid SilverWing said:
I have one complaint: WHAT WAS HE THINKING when he came up with the flashing colors!? Have mercy!
The colours! The colours!
I'm thinking the game (or at least the link to it) should have a seizure warning, just in case.