Game Developers: The Next Generation

Justin Amirkhani

Does Video Game Stuff
Jan 31, 2011
Game Developers: The Next Generation

These young game designers are creating hits before bedtime.

Read Full Article

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I just went and played Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure...

It wasn't half bad actually! I'd like to see Valve hire more 5 year olds!

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Snort!

I would NEVER play Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure!!

But what I DID do was watching my 5 year old play it.. Almost the same thing.. :D

Justin Amirkhani

Does Video Game Stuff
Jan 31, 2011
TimeLord said:

We need a studio made entirely of children. Like a Muppet Babies version of Blizzard or something.

Xazper

Jan 28, 2010
I'd hate to sound like a crumpy old fart, but how much do you think she did herself? It says "With the help of her father" (paraphrasing), does that mean she came up with some of the ideas for what should be in the game, like "I want ponies!" & "They're magical!" and then her father made it work balanced, or did she actually design any gameplay? I doubt she coded it herself (although I have heard of kids that age writing code.) My point is yeah it's cool to bring kids into the development process, just don't expect them to do any work other than brainstorms.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Justin Amirkhani said:
TimeLord said:

We need a studio made entirely of children. Like a Muppet Babies version of Blizzard or something.
Or some kind of Rugrats-esk adventure!

Development process of Sissy's next game ^

draconiansundae

Sep 14, 2010
Wow. I actually just played this and it entertained me. I found myself actually appreciating the simplicity and colorful level design. Sure, I think some of my enjoyment came from the novelty factor, but still. It was actually kind of fun.

The Nix

Mar 1, 2011
Xazper said:
I'd hate to sound like a crumpy old fart, but how much do you think she did herself? It says "With the help of her father" (paraphrasing), does that mean she came up with some of the ideas for what should be in the game, like "I want ponies!" & "They're magical!" and then her father made it work balanced, or did she actually design any gameplay? I doubt she coded it herself (although I have heard of kids that age writing code.) My point is yeah it's cool to bring kids into the development process, just don't expect them to do any work other than brainstorms.

Her father documented the whole thing in a blog post:
http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog/2011/05/24/sissys-magical-ponycorn-adventure/

She basically did everything but the coding and a few of the puzzles:)

Justin Amirkhani

Does Video Game Stuff
Jan 31, 2011
Xazper said:
She did everything but core coding. Art, sound, design.

Don't worry, this isn't another Marla Olmstead.

Xazper

Jan 28, 2010
The Nix & Justin Amirkhani: Well in that case awesome, all the more respect to her. I can't help but think what I did at that age... probably playing with my toys and watching TV or something dumb like that, heh.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This is great news, because just look at how stagnated gaming has become. People don't risk new things because they think they know what works. It'll take someone who can come aboard and say, 'Wait a second... I don't need this, Magical Pony Adventure didn't do this and it was great.'

I, for one, welcome our new children overlords. When they grow up.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
TimeLord said:

Eh, I didn't like the subconscious hate towards lemons.

On the other hand it totally took me by surprise that Lemon Boy was actually the last Ponycorn so I guess there's that.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Quaxar said:
TimeLord said:

Eh, I didn't like the subconscious hate towards lemons.

On the other hand it totally took me by surprise that Lemon Boy was actually the last Ponycorn so I guess there's that.
I am an EEEEEEEEEEVIL LEMON

...Couldn't resist xD

I also played this when it first showed up; was surprised xD

AlwaystheUnlucky

Oct 5, 2010
I played the ponycorn game to the EMIYA ost from Fate Stay Night. Holy crap, I had no idea that ponycorn collecting could get so intense.