Game endings that just ruined almost the entire game for you.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Patrick Buck said:
Mafia II. The ending. Wow. I don't know how to use spoiler tags, so I'll just say it was insane, you basically change completly in the last few seconds of the game, to save your own skin. I enjoyed the rest of the game, but after that, I couldn't play it. It was just so.... pointless.
I was waiting for someone to talk about Mafia 2. The orginal had one of the best endings in any game ever, but the sequal?.. Not so much. You feel cheated and it doesn't give you any closure at all. It just kinda fucks with you and then ends.

Fuck you Mafia 2, fuck you.

Inquisitor Slayde

Jan 17, 2009
Kwil said:
Wow, really?
Arkham City's ending was what elevated the game from damned fine to "art" for me.

Batman's devoted more of his waking life to the Joker than anybody else on earth, including himself. The Joker killed one of his proteges, and put another one in a wheel-chair. He's killed hundreds of people and been kept alive by the Batman multiple times as the Batman adheres to his own personal ethos. To say their relationship is "complicated" doesn't even remotely begin to describe it.

And at the end, the Joker defeated him. The Joker defeated him because the Batman let himself hesitate and experience that one moment of doubt, of whether he should save the Joker, and in that moment the Joker stabs him and Batman drops the vial. Think about that.. The Batman drops the vial. What would it take to get the Batman to let go of something unless some part of him wanted to? So like an earlier poster said, that wasn't just the Joker that was being carried out in the Batman's arms, that was a significant part of himself. How much of himself we don't actually know.. and even he may not know. It's tragic because if there was ever a man who had reason to - or deserves to be able to - mourn the death of a completely socio and psychopathic killer, it's the Batman for Joker.. and if there's ever a man who could not.. it's Batman.

Now while the last actual boss battle in Arkham City could have been better -- I certainly would have preferred a battle that put all the combat skills and technology we'd been acquiring to use, fortunately, I have the challenge levels for that (Funhouse Extreme .. how I hate and love thee) -- the ending? The ending was simply art.
Agreed. The ending to Arkham City was amazing. It was so bleak. I loved The Batman carrying the Joker out of Arkham City in the classic 'dead loved one' carry, too distraught from failure and loss to acknowledge anything around him. It was one of my favourite moments in gaming for 2011. Much respect for the writers/devs to have the guts to do that. Clearly a lot of people didn't get it.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
lordlillen said:
hermes200 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4.
You just couldn't give Snake a dignified dead, eh Kojima? I guess the chance of MGS5 and the possibility of fans camping outside your house because "whaaa, whaaa, Snake can't die" were too big a detriment?
Well... F you. You take away what could be a pretty epic closure and change the entire world to a pink, sweet, disney-like version so that they could live happily ever after. In fact, forget that... at least Disney had the balls to kill Mufasa at the beginning of the movie and LEAVE HIM DEAD!
what the hell are you talking about? yust because there making MGS5 doesnt mean there going to use snake again, if there going to use snake again they can yust make another clone or the better option of using another character or hell another prequel.
Right... because everyone knows people loved the MGS games not starred by Snake or a Snake-like character.
Kojima has to (quite literally) destroy Raiden into little pieces and rebuild him as a badass, immortal, super capable, ninja-warrior-cyborg in order to make him likable (the success of which is still debatable)
Mark my words, because I am willing to bet good money on it. If there is a proper sequel (not a prequel, but a continuation to the story of MGS 4), Snake will be in it. Maybe not as the main character, but at the very least he will be an NPC.
Resonantscythe said:
hermes200 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4.
You just couldn't give Snake a dignified dead, eh Kojima? I guess the chance of MGS5 and the possibility of fans camping outside your house because "whaaa, whaaa, Snake can't die" were too big a detriment?
Well... F you. You take away what could be a pretty epic closure and change the entire world to a pink, sweet, disney-like version so that they could live happily ever after. In fact, forget that... at least Disney had the balls to kill Mufasa at the beginning of the movie and LEAVE HIM DEAD!
Oh, man. You should totally read this: http://metagearsolid.org/reports_mgs4_soldout_1.html
It's this guy's (pretty convincing) theory about how kojima not only didn't want to make MGS4 at all but how disillusioned and disappointed he was with the fanbase while making it.
Its an interesting read, and although I agree with some of the conclusions I don't agree with his reasoning. I don't think Kojima didn't want to make MGS 4 and I don't think Kojima distances itself enough from that fanbase to begin with.
I consider Kojima to be an auteur, maybe one of the few remaining; but I also think he is both in loved of his work and terrified of his audience (which is a very destructive thing for an auteur to be). I do believe he didn't wanted to kill Snake (despite he wanted us to believe that, according to the marketing), and to give him a happy ending was not only a decision with intent but also made cowardly. Cowardly for not being able to tell the fans, the stockholders, the world and ultimately himself, that Snake was done, that his story was over and that (being consistent with everything else in the series) his end was not glorious or heroic (in the grandiose Hollywood sense).
The moment I noticed all the villains were themed after MGS 1 characters I raised an eyebrow, the moment Snake returns to the same location as MSG 1 I raised my other eyebrow. By the time characters from previous MGS were returning left and right with previous explanation and no reason whatsoever (like Zero and Psycho Mantis) I run out of eyebrows... The later half of the game is fanservice condensed into a bluray... a huge, expensive love letter to the fanbase. Whether he made it out of love or as a ransom to forgive him for Raiden, We may never know (although I suspect the truth)

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Aurgelmir said:
Must say Final fantasy 9 is one of those games.

Not really the ending as such, but the Last Boss. It made no sense to the story and fealt tacked on...
And he was even ripping off Yoda word for word.

For me, the ending of Legacy of Kain: Defiance. That's not proper closure, Crystal Dynamics.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
HeWhoFightsBosses said:
So LA Noire fucked its ending up HORRIBLY. The final mission kinda made sense, but the way it ended, there was no indication that the people behind the conspiracy received just punishment for their crimes, just people lamenting over a certain someone's death. THAT'S IT. At least Red Dead Redemption showed you that your efforts in the finale weren't wasted.
Welcome to noir, where the hero is a fucked up at the beginning and by the end they are either more fucked up or just dead. Also, bad guys usually win in those.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Lost Odyssey did this for me. You travel to what you assume will be the final dungeon (it certainly has a very interesting architecture for it), but upon arrival the (ridiculously easy) final battle starts. I was very disappointed. Ending sequence was a bit stupid too, but that was unavoidable, as at that point, the story was a bit wobbly. Ending credits: some diabetes-inducing melodramatic Disney-style popsong. Why do they keep doing that shit?

Quite anticlimactic. It left me with a bitter aftertaste, as the game was all in all very enjoyable. One of the best in its genre in this generation.

Actually, I'm very demanding when it comes to game endings. I'm almost always underwhelmed. I try to adjust my expectations a bit for the future.

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
The Longest Journey 2 : The Dreamfall.

It ends in cliffhanger but not your typical "or do they... ?" way.
It cries "next season coming soon" and despite years passing there's no continuation. :|
aparently work on Dreamfall Chapters will start after The Secret World is finished.

Bekn

Mar 16, 2011
I'd have to go with Far Cry 2 which basically just said: "Hey! You know all that stuff you just did? Well you may as well not have bothered."

Also, God of War II which stamped a big "TO BE CONTINUED IF YOU BUY GOD OF WAR III" sign all over the ending which just left me with a bad taste. Pretty much any ending that reveals that the whole game has been leading up to 'buy the sequel lol' pisses me off. I'm looking at you, Assassins Creed series.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Manji187 said:
Aurgelmir said:
Must say Final fantasy 9 is one of those games.

Not really the ending as such, but the Last Boss. It made no sense to the story and fealt tacked on...
And he was even ripping off Yoda word for word.
HAHA yeah I had forgotten that. Damn Rip off boss!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Okami

I love this game to pieces, but after that whole nine-tailed fox business it slowly started to outstay it's welcome. And then near the end they shamelessly have you fight all the previous boss battles, and at the very end you fight some sort of stone boulder from outerspace. Plus, the final reveal of the "how, what, and why" regarding the Gods themselves was fucking stupid.

It didn't completely ruin the game for me, but it was definately a retarded way to end such a masterful title.

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
Castian Blake said:
Star Ocean Till the end of Time's
You play, you get involved in the story and then, puff it was all lies since the characters were fictional characters in a videogame, so the whole time you were playing the kid playing the Star ocean heroes, that was really a let down.
where i come from we call it real life it's this thing you do in between terrible JRPGs

DSK-

May 13, 2010
As most people have mentioned, I disliked the endings of Human Revolution, Fable 2 and in particular Borderlands and Dragon Age 2.

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
chimpzy said:
Halo 2.

It's practically synonymous with horrible endings.
I know what you mean. That ending just killed the whole game for me. I loved the campaign and the online play, but the ending was just not correctly made. Oh yes, a wall was punched through that day.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Karnov, NES. Yes, I know it was common for games in those days to end with things like "Congratulations! The End." (Which is all that Karnov ends with.) What makes it all-out infurating is that the Japanese original had THREE endings, ALL of which were just dummied out and thrown away when the game was brought to NA. It wouldn't have even been that hard to translate them. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Kalamala7

Guido Fawkes
Sep 7, 2011
By holding jokers corpse meant that he had something on his mind and thats because the joker was his first "Kill".

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
Both L.A. Noire and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are contenders, though their endings don't ruin a game as much as they just suck.

Note: Still beyond amazingly entertaining games to play.

Kizo18

May 2, 2011
I'd have to say Batman Arkham Asylum. The ending left me with a puzzled look at my face asking:
"Wait, that's it?"
It simply felt wrong to me. Basically the only thing i preferred in City to Asylum was the ending.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
hermes200 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4.
I'm afraid you can't criticize Metal Gear's storyline. Or analyse Metal Gear's story. Haters won't listen to explanations, and the fan just love the incomprehensibility.

Also:

SNAKE DID DIE. He had an incurable disease and about 6 months to live. Big Boss did die, but he faked his death a great number of times in true MGS tradition. Disney killed Mufasa and left him dead, but they didn't have him shoot himself in the head when the stampede came in.