Game Informer Reveals Thief Reboot

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Game Informer Reveals Thief Reboot

The next-gen Thief is expected to launch next year.

Thief 4, or Thi4f as it was labeled by the official Eidos website, is now officially known as simply Thief and will be a reboot of the classic stealth series, according to this month's issue of Game Informer. Garrett is back in action in a "Gothic industrial metropolis," stealing everything that's not nailed down, and will also very likely find himself eventually, and unwillingly, drawn into the religious and political intrigues of the City, which has fallen under the rule of a tyrant known as the Baron and also happens to be suffering the ravages of a plague.

Sound familiar? The Dishonored comparisons are unavoidable, and the new Garrett certainly has more of a mechanical, ninja-like look about him - it looks like he finally got that bow upgrade - but the studio pointed out in a brief preview trailer that the other Eidos Montreal team did a very good job bringing back another much-loved franchise - Deus Ex - and said that the Thief team is determined to prove that wasn't just a matter of luck.

Thief is currently slated to come out in 2014 for the PC, PlayStation 4 and other next-gen platforms. And Eidos has (finally) updated the Thief website, so you can get a better look at what's new at thief4.com [thief4.com].

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/05/april-cover-revealed-thief.aspx]

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Please don't mess this up! Please don't mess this up! Please don't mess this up!

Thief 3 was a step back from the first two, I hope they can mange some steps forward this time as well!

The stealth in Human Revolution was actually fairly decent by recent standards, but I'd hope that they can do better for a much more necessarily stealth focused game. Human revolution felt like it was being played wrong if you didn't use stealth, since the game acted like that was how you'd approach everything, so maybe for a game where that's actually true they can do a better job of the mechanics. I certainly hope so.

Eidos' previous reboot/continuation (Human revolution felt like more of a reboot than a prequel, on account of all the retcons and the lack of very much plot connection) was much better than we'd expected, so maybe they can do the same again.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I don't think it would make sense to compare the new Thief to Dishonored just yet since, let's be honest here, Dishonored owed a lot to the Thief series in the first place.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Just remember kids, Dishonored was a game its devs made since it couldn't make Thief 4.

Me? I could cry and pee my pants and loot this whole town I'm so excited. Thief is a huge favorite of mine and this is amazing. Garrett looks so BAMF. There will be detractors going "it's different, so now it sucks" but do we still want our graphics to look like polygonal polio victims? I hope it takes Thief 1/2's stealth and expands it. I am super excited.

Time to change my avatar back to Viktoria, I think.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Thief is currently slated to come out in 2014 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and other next-gen platforms.
I thought it was slated for the PS4 and not PS3?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
They should have taken my suggestion on names - TH1+3F.

Still excited. And more dishonored style gaming isn't a bad thing, either.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
Thief 4, or Thi4f as it was labeled by the official Eidos website, is now officially known as simply Thief and will be a reboot of the classic stealth series, according to this month's issue of Game Informer.
So... reboot, not sequel? If so, I wonder how they'll explain the right eye, if at all

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
omicron1 said:
I would say it is if you're making a Thief game.

Cybele

Jun 7, 2010
*Screams and proceeds to flip out*

Finally some real news!
Please please PLEASE don't suck!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
omicron1 said:
I would say it is if you're making a Thief game.
Agreed. Dishonored allowed you go to go all out if you put the skills into it. In Thief you should be punished if you try just going around fighting people in open combat. Not impossible, but very difficult. It should also be a lot slower paced than the more faster paced Dishonored.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Goody! ...uh that, um, wetness? I uh, I just shot a water arrow and it missed and hit my pants?

I am so glad this is coming for next-gen, hopefully it won't be broken up into one room at a time with no backtracking now they have some RAM to work with.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Oh god pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood.
Thief 2 was THE game of my childhood. If they mess this up trying to make it too modern, accommodating, or too action/set-piece-focused, I will be very upset.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Norrdicus said:
Andy Chalk said:
Thief 4, or Thi4f as it was labeled by the official Eidos website, is now officially known as simply Thief and will be a reboot of the classic stealth series, according to this month's issue of Game Informer.
So... reboot, not sequel? If so, I wonder how they'll explain the right eye, if at all
They haven't said either way. Saying it's a reboot at this point is quite wrong. At the very least, with the presence of the Mechanical Eye, it's Post-Dark Project. I'm feeling it's a sequel.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Excited but I hope they go back to the big sprawling levels of Thief 2 and not the small separate areas of Deadly Shadows.
Hopefully next-gen hardware will allow that to be true! Damn original Xbox limitations!

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'm calling it now, this game is going to suck. In fat I won't be surprised if half way through the game they decide stealing stuff is boring and garret should be a crusader for the people. Oh and lets also copy dishonored some more, a game that was boring that I couldn't get through the first 3 missions.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Andy Chalk said:
- it looks like he finally got that bow upgrade -
It's about damn time! How many hours were spent searching the Bonehoard for that thing?!

I can't say I'm terribly enthused about this. While the new outfit looks much better than the one in Thief 3, I worry that they'll try to make this a medival-themed Splinter Cell clone. Still, I suppose a reboot is better than a sequel, since Deadly Shadows did a pretty fair job of wrapping things up for our good thief.

Oh, and also: Stephen Russell as the voice of Garrett is mandatory. No taffer worth his or her lockpicks will settle for anything else!