Game Informer Reveals Thief Reboot

llyrnion

Feb 16, 2011
I'm cautiously lowering my expectations for this. I still hope they'll create a first-class stealth experience based on thieving instead of assassination, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dishonored is a good game, but it's not Thief.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Unlikely to live up to expectations.

Eidos hasn't produced anything particularly noteworthy recently, far as I'm aware; likely none of the team from the original games will be working on it, Eidos and the associated publisher (Square Enix isn't it?) has shareholders to please, no-kill stealth gameplay with open ended environments is a niche, and niches don't please shareholders.

System Shock 2 fans didn't like Bioshock, X-Com fans don't like the XCOM reboot (far as I'm aware anyway, I liked both), and Thief fans are unlikely to like this.

It's a shift in the times. I don't like beating the 'it was better yesterday' drum, I hate that fuckin' drum, but even Dishonored - far as I'm aware a moderately successful game - was niche, and probably didn't prove to publishers that such a game can be successful enough to please shareholders. I 'unno, depends on kind of the budget it has and the kind of investment it has behind it.

At least there's Dishonored. I love Dishonored. I'm in the minority, apparently, but GOD I love it. Off topic I know.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it's not in Eidos' best interests as a business to make a Thief reboot that's entirely in the spirit of the original game. Guess we just have to hope on their interests as a game developer.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Pink Gregory said:
Unlikely to live up to expectations.

Eidos hasn't produced anything particularly noteworthy recently, far as I'm aware; likely none of the team from the original games will be working on it, Eidos and the associated publisher (Square Enix isn't it?) has shareholders to please, no-kill stealth gameplay with open ended environments is a niche, and niches don't please shareholders.

System Shock 2 fans didn't like Bioshock, X-Com fans don't like the XCOM reboot (far as I'm aware anyway, I liked both), and Thief fans are unlikely to like this.

It's a shift in the times. I don't like beating the 'it was better yesterday' drum, I hate that fuckin' drum, but even Dishonored - far as I'm aware a moderately successful game - was niche, and probably didn't prove to publishers that such a game can be successful enough to please shareholders. I 'unno, depends on kind of the budget it has and the kind of investment it has behind it.

At least there's Dishonored. I love Dishonored. I'm in the minority, apparently, but GOD I love it. Off topic I know.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it's not in Eidos' best interests as a business to make a Thief reboot that's entirely in the spirit of the original game. Guess we just have to hope on their interests as a game developer.
Okay, wait wait wait, hold on.

You seriosuly didn't know Eidos already did Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and that Dishonored surpassed Bethesda's sales expectations so hard that the marketing chief pretty much outright said "Oh yes, there will be a sequel!"

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Norrdicus said:
No, I did not know that. And forgot about Deus Ex. Although surpassing sales expectations relies on what those sales expectations actually were. Depends what you call success, far as I'm aware Eidos at least aren't going for EA-style sales figures, which is encouraging.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Hmm... It's a reboot, and not a remake, so I wonder what Mr. Croshaw thinks about this? I mean, I can make a fairly educated guess, but, still. I hope he brings it up in a Z/EP at some point.

OT: Never got in to the series the first time around. They came out right around the right time, but I was a console gamer growing up, and never had an Xbox, so Deadly Shadows passed me by. Might be time to go look at the Steam release of the Thief bundle, see if I want to get pumped for this one or not.

L34dP1LL

Mar 6, 2010
Sweet merciful gods of gaming, PLEASE let it be good.

Thief was the first title that really got me into gaming. From there it's been an awesome ride, but I can always go back to that series for comfort.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
New Thief!!!!!! *squeee...*

... Wait what?, "reboot"... plague?... a tyrant?... uh oh... please, don't turn this into another Dishonored.

I mean, I liked Dishonored AS Dishonored, I wouldn't like Thief to turn into a Dishonored spinoff of sorts, I mean, the original setting was perfectly fine!, why do they needed to make everything from scratch?.

Well, at least I can adjust my expectations pretty much around the floor. I'd be happy if it turns better than Thief 3, but I ain't expecting it to reach Thief 1/2 perfectness.

CAPTCHA: Rule of Thumb. Pretty much this, if it ain't broken, don't fix it!.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
They better not New-Dante up Garrett, or I will cry.

Making Garrett completely silent would be better than that, he was my teenage hero.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Only played thief 3 and loved it.

People tell me all the time 2 (and sometimes 1) are much better, still need to get around to those.

Still. They better not fuck this up.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
As long as it doesn't feature crazy parkour I am in. Thief was never about that stuff. Sure climbing and sneaking in the rafters or ducts fine. But hanging on the side of a building? Bit much Eidos.

Go back and play Thief 2, remove the lame parts of the combat and learn from that game. A house. Shiny things. Guards.

There is your game.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
rhizhim said:
solely the ninja look on garret is making me feel uncomfortable.

i bet they are aiming for a "broader audicence" like dishonored and its fast paced and easy to broken stealth mechanics.
This is Eidos Montreal we are taking about. They did a very good job with Deus Ex including both a little bit of casuality and "broader audience" audience appeal as well as a couple of old school features that made the first game good. I'm hoping they won't fail this time either. Stealth game with open levels how hard can that be :p

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Another reminder, kids:

The Baron has been mentioned since I believe, the first game, he's just been off to war.
The plague was part of the third, with the Docks being sealed off due to it.
We have it all but confirmed there will be no magic like Dishonored, since that would be so out of place. That is good.
Dishonored took a whole bunch from Thief.
Have confidence, Taffers. Deus Ex Human Revolution was pretty awesome, I expect Thief to be the same.

Mar 26, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
Oh, and also: Stephen Russell as the voice of Garrett is mandatory. No taffer worth his or her lockpicks will settle for anything else!
Abso-freakin-lutely! I'm still pissed that the new Splinter Cell doesn't have Michael Ironside. It's Stephen Russell or GTFO.

I'm so stoked that there's a new Thief coming out.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Colour me up to "cautiously optimistic". Thief 2 is still my favourite game, and the Thief series is the only ones I will always play on hard.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I don't even care that it's a re-imagining and thus won't be the Garret of old.
I just don't care man.
NEW THIEF.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Please don't Suck, Please Don't suck!
And for people making the "its a dishonored clone" Argument
First I love dishonored
Second Dishonored borrowed alot from thief

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
I am somewhat worried. A large part of Garrett's character is that he's aspiring to be a professional yet petty thief, but keeps getting dragged into heroic actions. The overly stylized mechanical bow, Dishonored influences, ninja mask and fact that this is a reboot make me very worried that they're throwing away that aspect of him that was so prominent in 1 and 2 and making him into a more stereotypical action hero.

I can't say that this fear is anywhere near confirmed by what's currently known, but I doubt that the most video game writers will do nearly as good a job on Garrett rebooted as Garrett in 1 and 2.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I'm so torn about this. If they include "easy mode" stuff like waypoints I'm ok with that as long as they can be turned off. I want to see big sprawling environments with multiple paths to the same objective, I want Garrett to remain an ambivalent character like before and I'm terrified it will suck and piss on Thief's gravestone.