Game Informer Reveals Thief Reboot

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
It's excellent to see Garrett return to the playing field. That said; Thi4f? Simply reading that is enough to make me BLEED. Very glad they just changed it back to Thief. Hopefully they manage to maintain the tone and aesthetic of the original, at least in principle. Very glad that Dishonored has sort of reopened this niche. :)

Huh. Got the same captcha twice in a row. "Doctor Who?" Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey I suppose.

llyrnion

Feb 16, 2011
AstylahAthrys said:
We have it all but confirmed there will be no magic like Dishonored, since that would be so out of place. That is good.
Yes, that is good.

Come to think of it, if they keep the "Expert" setting, where killing anyone means mission failure, I'll be happy. They could even add a "Ghost" setting, although I suck at that.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Dishonored Stole from Theifs idea's and theif 4 is stealing dishonored success after such a long wait through its second attempt for a reboot. There is no honor among thieves :D

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
Unlikely to live up to expectations.

Eidos hasn't produced anything particularly noteworthy recently, far as I'm aware; likely none of the team from the original games will be working on it, Eidos and the associated publisher (Square Enix isn't it?) has shareholders to please, no-kill stealth gameplay with open ended environments is a niche, and niches don't please shareholders.

System Shock 2 fans didn't like Bioshock, X-Com fans don't like the XCOM reboot (far as I'm aware anyway, I liked both), and Thief fans are unlikely to like this.

It's a shift in the times. I don't like beating the 'it was better yesterday' drum, I hate that fuckin' drum, but even Dishonored - far as I'm aware a moderately successful game - was niche, and probably didn't prove to publishers that such a game can be successful enough to please shareholders. I 'unno, depends on kind of the budget it has and the kind of investment it has behind it.

At least there's Dishonored. I love Dishonored. I'm in the minority, apparently, but GOD I love it. Off topic I know.

I think what I'm trying to say is that it's not in Eidos' best interests as a business to make a Thief reboot that's entirely in the spirit of the original game. Guess we just have to hope on their interests as a game developer.
Eidos did deus ex: hr, and its been applauded by all. xcom has been mostly highly regarded, only complaints have been picky people. And dishonoured sold well. These games sell well and Eidos intends to capitalise on it.

KapnKerfuffle

May 17, 2008
I don't know how to fee about Thief 4 coming out. I was an insane fan of 1 - 3 like everyone else. I was happy when Deus Ex HR came out, but honestly I didn't really like it. Then Dishonored came out and I didn't really like it. I think I may just suck at stealth I think and need more stimulation. Like the frantic, insane fights in Bioshock and a good story. Thief might be good, but it's been so long that we are different.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
just got my graby hands on a copy and so far I am not liking it much for following reason.
1. Garret now seems to be molded into robinhood and goes to meetings with "friends" and other sods every other cutscene even thought its directly against everything his character previously stood for.
2. in the sorta open city design everyone now knows his face even thought I have not yet been detected once on any mission (restricted areas) It just seems silly to me that master thief is know by face to every random city patrolling guard and is to be killed on sight on open street. That is not a restricted area and there isnt even an option to consistently stay on the roofs making traversing of city between missions more of a chore than an enjoyable stroll.
3. the level design seems to be just ok instead of superb as it used to be and because of semi open world there are just way too many loading screens after transitioning between small areas
4. the controls just feel weired it took me a few hours to get a hang of things and lack of proper tutorial didnt help with this either. Also addition of skill upgrades ands aerial take downs seem way out of place. Its as if this is Assassins Creed lite. I dont know how it plays in kill everything mode but sneaking around is mediocre so far.

This leave me with very mixed feelings. I want to love it as I have previous games but the game makes that task a hard one.