Game Journalism vs Personal Opinion

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
There's been a huge uproar about a reviewer at EGM giving Aliens:Colonial Marines a 9/10 when the game has largely been panned by almost everyone. The defense for this person, offered by a few, is that the review is his personal opinion and he's entitled to it. I don't think that's true, and using that defense, whether you like the game or not, demeans the entire gaming journalism industry.

Opinions, you see, are inherently worthless. My opinion is worthless, your opinion is worthless, everybody's is. If you purchased and enjoyed Aliens....great. I won't spend a second arguing with you. If you hated it...I'm sorry, but same thing. You are entitled to your opinion and shouldn't have to defend it, largely because your opinion and mine don't have much of an effect on the world.

Journalism is different. A journalist in any area, gaming, sports or politics is supposed to be an expert in their field. Their viewpoint has a lot of weight. That weight only increases when they or the organization they report for is well known. Just think about the difference between "A NASA scientist believes that a meteor will strike the Earth in the next ten years" and "Jim down the street says we're all doomed."

The scientist's belief will be listened to by many more people because they are supposedly an expert. We assume they've done the necessary work to make that statement and have facts to back them up. Even if we don't trust the scientist, we trust the name of NASA and believe they have hired trustworthy employees.

The same should be true of EGM. When a journalist representing them reviews something, that review should be more than an opinion. It should be that person's attempt, focusing on the facts and using their presumably high level of expertise in that field, to explain why most of the people interested in that kind of game will or will not want to spend time and money on it. That's why we read watch reviews and support the publications that print them. We don't really want to know what the REVIEWER thinks, we want to know what will WE will probably think if we plunk down the cash.

As a reviewer, you have to go beyond your personal opinion. It doesn't really matter whether THEY liked it or not(We all have our guilty pleasures. I love Final Fantasy VIII). A good reviewer thinks "will most people like this game" and comes up with reasons why or why not.. It's THEIR job no have a good guess how others will receive the product.

That is not an easy job. That's hard! That' why most people aren't professional reviewers even though we all have opinions. I've seen many movies, but I'm no MovieBob. I ONLY know whether I like or hate a movie. I really have no idea what anyone else thinks. That's why I don't have a video series on the escapist and he does.

The point is, when you give a game a 90 out of 100 when the next best score is a 68 and the average user rating is much lower, you have failed as a reviewer. You have failed to understand what the "average" consumer will think. It doesn't matter whether you honestly liked the game or not. You have failed at your job. Sitting back and saying "Well, that was my opinion" is an insult to everyone who feels cheated out of $60.

Think I'm wrong? How long until the box of Aliens: Colonial Marines has "EGM GAVE IT A 9/10" in big bold letters on it? And how many people who don't spend much of their free time on gaming sites, will give Gearbox their money because of that review? They aren't doing that because of an opinion, but because they trust the JOURNALISM of EGM.

And its that trust that has been abused.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
And that would be why this website is so popular. While there is sometimes a little bit of cheese or sugar coating on a few things around here. The reviewers here tell it like it is, with some added personal opinion. And have established a good track record doing it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
somtimes I feel like people should grow some fucking common sense

oh your upset that reveiwer gave a game you like a 7/10?....and you think they are wrong because everyone else is giving that game a 9/10 and you need your opinion validated by EVERYONE? grow the fuck up

oh your angry at said reveiwer for giving that new devil may cry game a highscore? "losing his touch" you say? well CLEARLY everyone on the fucking planet knows that game is rightfully an abomination and you as a true die hard fan should know...

grow...

the fuck...

up...

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
You do know that a review is inherently biased, right? As in there is no 'unbiased' review. If he, as a journalist, liked the game and gave it a high score- that is his opinion. You can disagree with his opinion, but to say his opinion is wrong is like telling a guy who likes the taste of certain kinds of food is wrong for liking that food. His opinion isn't hurting you, and if someone takes what this guy says at face value, then they likely have a similar taste to this reviewer and trust him based on previous reviews. If someone is a conscientious consumer, they will likely be visiting multiple reviews and will want to hear the opinions of someone who liked it and the other who hated it.

TL;DR version: His opinion isn't hurting you, it's ok to have different opinions.
Meme version: Well, that's just like your opinion man.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
i64ever said:
The point is, when you give a game a 90 out of 100 when the next best score is a 68 and the average user rating is much lower, you have failed as a reviewer. You have failed to understand what the "average" consumer will think. It doesn't matter whether you honestly liked the game or not. You have failed at your job.
What the fuck, man? What the actual fuck?

What you're saying is that any reviewer who doesn't conform with the average has failed their job.

What are you, a representative from the fucking Borg?

i64ever said:
When a journalist representing them reviews something, that review should be more than an opinion. It should be that person's attempt, focusing on the facts and using their presumably high level of expertise in that field, to explain why most of the people interested in that kind of game will or will not want to spend time and money on it. That's why we read watch reviews and support the publications that print them. We don't really want to know what the REVIEWER thinks, we want to know what will WE will probably think if we plunk down the cash.
This is also dumb.

Reviewers are not bloody psychics. They can't tell you whether or not you will enjoy something. That's a ridiculous notion. You're saying that people should be able to play a game then inform a mass of complete strangers that they've never met, strangers will an unknown range of tastes and preferences, whether or not they will enjoy it.

Ridiculous.

All a reviewer can do is describe what's in the game and give their impression. Deciding whether or not you like is bloody well up to you.

Lastly, take it away Mr Sterling.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Nope. Many problems with journalism stem from journalists believing they can be objective. It's impossible. All writing is subjective, and the best journalists are those who either embrace that subjectivity or those who recognize it and do their best to address it. Even if you're just listing raw data, deciding what data to list and what to omit is a values judgement.

i64ever said:
Journalism is different. A journalist in any area, gaming, sports or politics is supposed to be an expert in their field. Their viewpoint has a lot of weight. That weight only increases when they or the organization they report for is well known. Just think about the difference between "A NASA scientist believes that a meteor will strike the Earth in the next ten years" and "Jim down the street says we're all doomed."
Also this is a terrible analogy. If Jim down the street has convincing evidence that he may be right, his hypothesis can be tested. Good luck experimentally verifying how good a game is.

Edit: That said, while the EGM person is entitled to their opinion, we're entitled to think that opinion is stupid.

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
Zhukov said:
i64ever said:
The point is, when you give a game a 90 out of 100 when the next best score is a 68 and the average user rating is much lower, you have failed as a reviewer. You have failed to understand what the "average" consumer will think. It doesn't matter whether you honestly liked the game or not. You have failed at your job.
What the fuck, man? What the actual fuck?

What you're saying is that any reviewer who doesn't conform with the average has failed their job.

What are you, a representative from the fucking Borg?
I'm guessing that the reason this review is rubbing people the wrong way is because it's a terrible fucking review. It could have given the game a 0/10 and been a terrible review, or a 10/10 and been a terrible review. The OP is correct in that journalists should be experts, and there is absolutely no indication of an expert's opinion (whichever way it might lean) on display, just a bunch of vague praise.

Now, for better or worse, when someone's opinion - to which, as you say, they're entitled - happens to disagree completely from the norm... there is going to be some expectation that they'll try to explain their beliefs. Especially when the job they are paid to do is analyzing the specific pros and cons of a video game. Does the reviewer do this competently? No he does not.

The fact that the score is so out of touch with reality simply draws our attention to what is a terrible job to begin with, and would have been such without a numerical score attached.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
You're entirely wrong. We're not reviewing cars here, we're reviewing video games. Entertainment. It's all about subjectivity except for stuff like price, bugs, etc. Even appreciation of graphics is subjective, since one may not like a realistic style of graphics, despite it being very impressive.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
i64ever said:
Opinions, you see, are inherently worthless. My opinion is worthless, your opinion is worthless, everybody's is. If you purchased and enjoyed Aliens....great. I won't spend a second arguing with you. If you hated it...I'm sorry, but same thing. You are entitled to your opinion and shouldn't have to defend it, largely because your opinion and mine don't have much of an effect on the world.
Opinions actually shape perspectives. Those perspectives are the basis for how we interact with the things in our worlds. We are also influenced by outside opinions whether we believe that we're being free thinkers or not.

Skyrim is the greatest example that opinions matter. The gameplay is terrible, but it's one of the most popular games today. Someone believed that gameplay wasn't needed to make a game that would sell, and they've been proven right. That person had an opinion and was able to test it out, so we have Skyrim.

The great thing about opinions is that they are allowed to change. Facts are mechanical and don't change. Opinions make us human. That alone is what gives them worth. If you're trying to be like Darwin, then opinions are worthless. In gaming however, I have to agree shrimpcel. It's entertainment.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
gamernerdtg2 said:
Skyrim is the greatest example that opinions matter. The gameplay is terrible, but it's one of the most popular games today. Someone believed that gameplay wasn't needed to make a game that would sell, and they've been proven right. That person had an opinion and was able to test it out, so we have Skyrim.
if the game play is awful then why do people like skyrim? for its engaging emotional story? (*snrrrrrrk*)

people must absolutly LOVE trudging to one end of the map to another...wandering around aimlessly doing shit for zombie people

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
No a poor review does not blemish the entire scene, just that mans integrity also the magazine he works for that allows such nonsense to be published with their name.

And no opinions and journalism are not the same, one is a personal preference that everyone has the other is a matter of professional and ethical standards, if you do not have them then quite frankly you can not be called a journalist in the same way everyone holding a bottle of pills can not be called a doctor (of course there will disagreements on what standards must be met).

Out there in the real world any respectable news agency will put journalists writing opinions out on the street, because they at that point are not doing their job.
Sadly this demand for accountability has not reached the gaming world, mostly because the gaming press consists of random bloggers who like giving their opinion and have never actually known journalism, even worse are people who come from proper journalist waters and notice it's all about writing schlock in gaming media and just go along on the ride... have some fucking standards or don't bloody bother.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
The thing is, opinion is important, but so are facts. A reviewer who gives a game in which many features, even advertised ones, are absent, incomplete, or broken a 9, and isn't giving every game that actually works and is complete a 10 is quite simply not competent. Not because he's diverging from the hivemind, but because he is misrepresenting the product. A 7 or maybe even an 8 I could see, but a 9...no.

Tyler Trahan

Sep 27, 2011
Honestly dont look at the score as much as what the actual review SAYS. Everyone flamed PCGamer for giving Dragon Age 2 such a high review, but when you read the review it was the one man's personal opinion and should not be taken as the end-all be-all. When it comes to a game that is "broken" so to speak, I have seen people play a game and one gives it a 6 while another gives it a 9.5 because one got a "broken" game and the other ran into next to no bugs.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
I think the OP is off the mark. For one thing there is no way to prove objective facts even exist in the field of videogame appraisal. A review isn't bad because it has the wrong opinions, it's bad because it couldn't explain accurately and coherently what the reviewer is basing their opinion on. Even if your opinions wildly differ, a good review can tell you everything you need to know about a game.

This article talks about it better than I can.
http://www.mammon-machine.com/post/42805935533/review-criticism-a-dead-space-3-review-reignites-the

jwonno

Oct 30, 2011
i64ever said:
Just think about the difference between "A NASA scientist believes that a meteor will strike the Earth in the next ten years" and "Jim down the street says we're all doomed."

The scientist's belief will be listened to by many more people because they are supposedly an expert. We assume they've done the necessary work to make that statement and have facts to back them up. Even if we don't trust the scientist, we trust the name of NASA and believe they have hired trustworthy employees.
In this scenario you are comparing the ability of two people to verify something exists (i.e. immanent danger).

i64ever said:
It should be that person's attempt, focusing on the facts and using their presumably high level of expertise in that field, to explain why most of the people interested in that kind of game will or will not want to spend time and money on it.
Whereas here you are comparing the ability of a person to discern what other people think based on what? Telepathy? All they can base it on is, forgetting any media or opinions surrounding it, what's in the game (i.e. content) and whether they believed that content was worthwhile to them. Which the aforementioned EGM reviewer Brandon Justice has done.

i64ever said:
how many people who don't spend much of their free time on gaming sites, will give Gearbox their money because of that review?
People who base their spending entirely on a number rating slapped on to any product, is at their own risk for not researching before purchase this is true of everything.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Quick question: If every 'professional' reviewer is supposed to give the exact same reflection on a game then why the fuck would we need more than one person doing the job, at any given time?

Wait, what's that? It's because different reviews help to form the general consensus your argument demands? Well butter my arse.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
rob_simple said:
Quick question: If every 'professional' reviewer is supposed to give the exact same reflection on a game then why the fuck would we need more than one person doing the job, at any given time?

Wait, what's that? It's because different reviews help to form the general consensus your argument demands? Well butter my arse.
Actually, it would be the equivalent of a peer review.

If everyone says 6 or under but one person says 9 then one of two scenarios is possible. Everyone but the 9 is wrong in their assessments or the 9 has conducted a poor analysis of the game. Given the complete lack of tangible detail from the 9 review we can safely assume the latter.

I haven't played the game because I wasn't willing on dropping $99.95 US (yes, that's how much Steam charges us in New Zealand) on a potential flop and I had been burned previously by the AvP reboot. The near complete damnation of the game by most credible reviewers vindicates me there.

The credibility of the reviewer who gave a 9 is in serious questio-- actually it's not in question at all. It was terrible journalism even if you ignore the serious disparity of the score and the reviewer should be ashamed he put it "to print".