Game mechanics that need to die

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Waggling the analog stick(s) wildly to get out of a stunned state or grab. They destroy controllers and fuck up the dead zone. These standard controllers are now $70+ dollars. It's fucking ridiculous. Fuck off publishers for jacking up the price. Games need to get away from this now; especially action game of this genre. If they expect people to play these games repeatedly, then either don't have them or make it a simple button prompt. Say what you will about the Norse GoW Duology, but had no issues with either press face button rapidly or change to just hold button. More 3rd person action games need to do that.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Waggling the analog stick(s) wildly to get out of a stunned state or grab. They destroy controllers and fuck up the dead zone. These standard controllers are now $70+ dollars. It's fucking ridiculous. Fuck off publishers for jacking up the price. Games need to get away from this now; especially action game of this genre. If they expect people to play these games repeatedly, then either don't have them or make it a simple button prompt. Say what you will about the Norse GoW Duology, but had no issues with either press face button rapidly or change to just hold button. More 3rd person action games need to do that.

Press and hold will be sufficient. The QC on these things isn't up to the repeated button mashing some games ask of them.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Press and hold will be sufficient. The QC on these things isn't up to the repeated button mashing some games ask of them.
I prefer the hold a button method as well, but I'll just pointing out it's nice to have options. The irony is that, the rapid button pressing option in the newer God of War games is nowhere near as bad as it was in the Greek era games. At least you get a choice, not like the old games.

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
Easily the worst and most unfair moment in all of Fuel: The car only a few meters ahead of me and I both slide off a cliff at the same time. I'm pointed straight up with the engine at full blast and none of it is enough to counteract the ravenous pull of gravity pulling me backwards at near-max velocity. Meanwhile, the other car magically floats several meters off the cliff and just zooms right back onto it while at the edge of my rendering distance. When I heard everybody hated this game for the cheating NPCs, this must have been what they meant, that opponent vehicles have access to physics that will bail them out of a jam but the player is up stupid-creak without a string.