Game of Phones Turns Your Smartphone Into a Party Game

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Game of Phones Turns Your Smartphone Into a Party Game

[kickstarter=1618405531/game-of-phones]

In the game of phones, you win or you... well, lose, but you have fun doing it.

Smartphones - the bane of any party. It's hard to be social when everyone is quietly staring at screens, which is what inspired Luke Stern and Sam Wander to design a new kind of party game. Rather than allowing phones to be a distraction, the freshly-Kickstarted Game of Phones makes them the center of attention as everyone in the room competes in smartphone-based challenges.

Game of Phones is a pretty simple game to learn. An official deck of cards (the only physical component of the game) contains a variety of challenges, like "Find something from one year ago today." A designated judge announces the challenge and waits for the party to go rummaging through their phones, then decides who has come up with the best response. It's not unlike Cards Against Humanity, the reigning king of party games, except your arsenal of white cards includes embarrassing photos from your phone's hard drive.

The Kickstarter campaign [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1618405531/game-of-phones] is just about to wrap up, with the funds coming in at well over the $6,000 goal. If the pledge rewards are anything to go by, the game will cost you about $25. There are a few drawbacks you may want to consider before dropping that cash, though: anyone without a smartphone won't be very amused, and some of the challenges directly utilize apps like Instagram or Snapchat which some people (myself, for starters) might not use.

Still, it beats sitting around awkwardly and tweeting about how lame the party is.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1618405531/game-of-phones]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No no no no... The anime, Mirai Nikki, is the Game of Phones, clearly. Because in the Game of Phones, you either become god or you die. (And beware Yuno!)

yayforgiveaway

Aug 25, 2009
Throw out the phone bullcrap change the text on the cards and you get... "Cards Against Humanity" a better game.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
So Apples to Apples but with an unlimited source of material? Actually sounds pretty lame. A lot of the fun of those kinds of games comes from the limitations.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Cognimancer said:
the game will cost you about $25.
*Checks on Amazon* No, Cards Against Humanity is still £20 to buy. And free to print.

Are we seriously expected to pay 25$ for a deck of cards with some questions? At least Cards Against Humanity has a crap ton of cards, and is self-contained, and let's you try it first.

Also, can you imagine? "Oh, the internet isn't working properly". "Oh my god, let me show you this annoying photo of me, then I'll get back to the game".

And finally, Cards Against Humanity helps because no one is as funny as they think they are, and it applies to their photos. Cards Against Humanity sidesteps that by providing us with the funny cards and letting us think we're witty as shit.