Game of the Half Year 2013

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Fire Emblem Awakening is my GOTY so far. Once I started playing that game I just couldn't put it down for hours. Second would be Metal Gear Rising just because of how outrageously fun and over the top it is.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Bioshock Infinite as of right now. Can't think of much that stood up to it so far but I have yet to play TLoU.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Officially" (Unofficially) I think it will be Bioshock: Infinite.
I haven't even played the game and I feel confident in that guess based on consumer response.

My personal pick is currently Monaco: What's Yours is Mine. Fire Emblem: Awakening was a case of style over substance; it has fantstic production values, but brain-dead, easily broken gameplay due to its bare-minimum AI.

Meanwhile, absolutely NOTHING ELSE I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING RELEASED YET.
Out of four games, ONE has a release date now; all of them were supposed to be out months ago.

Still a good 4-5 months to go for new candidates to pop up though.

(And I haven't played The Last of Us. Dunno what that's about, specifically.)

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite. These two titles are both phenomenal experiences and are some of the most memorable and well-made I have had in gaming to date. I may be able to pick which one I marginally prefer later in the year but as of now, I'm just too ecstatic about both to pick...

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Nah, man SMT 4 will blow everything out of the water. Everything. All of it.
Nah, man CoD Ghost will blow everything out the water, even its own little fishies.
I haven't enjoyed anything this half year, but I haven't played TLoU so maybe I'll be surprised.
I'm thinking maybe Watch Dogs will be best this year in total though.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It's pretty much a dead tie between Bioshock Infinite and The Last Of Us. Ni No Kuni is then probably after both of them. I do have Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Rising to play through so if anything else was going to beat them it would likely be that - from this half of the year, anyway.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Dead Space 3 for me. Despite a number of flaws and the horrible love triangle, I loved the game a whole lot. The snowy environments, the large zero-G outer space sections, the weapon crafting, the exquisite stasis+dismemberment gameplay that defines the series.

My second would be Bioshock: Infinite. Flawless story, amazing characters and best supporting AI of all time, and a excellent setting as well. However, the gameplay is "eh", and since gameplay is pretty much all important to me, that'd be why I'd put DS3 first.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Hoping for Borderlands 2. Solely so they release a GOTY/Ultimate edition with all the DLC already included so I can buy it (I dun wanna buy all ze DLC sep'rat, 's 'spensive).

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Amethyst Wind said:
Hoping for Borderlands 2. Solely so they release a GOTY/Ultimate edition with all the DLC already included so I can buy it (I dun wanna buy all ze DLC sep'rat, 's 'spensive).
That is actually a legitimate reason to wait for the GOTY edition. Hopefully, they include the creature slaughter dome, mechromancer, and psycho dlcs as well as the story ones.

By the way, have you played Zero and if so, which build would be best: sniping/cunning or cunning/bloodshed

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
My game of the year thus far is Bioshock Infinite.

Since GTA 5 won't come on PC this year, I really doubt there is any other game release that will top it for me.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
We do NOT need a "Game of the Half Year." I already hate seeing the acronym "GOTY" everywhere at the end of the year, since to me it sounds like a creepy goat fetish. And "GOTHY" just sounds like how a grandmother would describe a group of people she saw walking down the street who were headed to a Black Sabbath concert.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Okay, so I was super-duper excited for Bioshock Infinite and went into the game expecting the world and when I go in expecting a good time, I usually get it because it allows me to overlook the little things. And I had never been more excited for a game more than Bioshock Infinite so I thought that game was a Godsend.
I wasn't nearly as excited for The Last Of Us but... it's really up there. I didn't expect myself to be thinking "Wow, this might be better than Bioshock..." but that's what I'm thinking right now.
I don't know, I'm thinking The Last Of Us followed extremely closely by Bioshock Infinite, if not tying.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
Amethyst Wind said:
That is actually a legitimate reason to wait for the GOTY edition. Hopefully, they include the creature slaughter dome, mechromancer, and psycho dlcs as well as the story ones.

By the way, have you played Zero and if so, which build would be best: sniping/cunning or cunning/bloodshed
I've never played the game so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, I don't give a shit about optimum builds.

Ever.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
TLOU, hands down. Bioshock was okay, but not great. The pacing was terrible, the rwiting okay, but nothing to write home about, the gameplay was fun, but nothing new. I was a little irritated that the game needed to beat me over the head with EVERYTHING, like it thought I was stupid. "Hey, did you get that. Do you understand what we're trying to say? Here, let me flat out tell you, just to make SURE you understand." Say what you will, The Last of Us had subtlety, and trusted the intelligence of its audience. Infinite was to fast paced. One second Elizabeth is throwing books at you, then she's stroking your cheek and asking if you're real, then a giant bird attacks. It needed to slow down and build the characters, but the game seems to think that if the player goes 2 minutes without shooting something then the audience will lose interest.

anyway, I didn't mean to rant about Infinite, it was a solid game, just not a great one. Fire Emblem is a close second behind TLOU, and Grand Theft Auto doesn't even register on my radar. I hope loses out to the other contenders on the list.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Really?

"Game of the Half Year?"

It's bad enough having the forums choked with GOTY threads for the last three months of every year. Do we really need to bring it forward to bloody July?

(Dead heat between Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us. I like them both for different reasons.)

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Ni No Kuni is the only new game I've played so far this year. It has some significant problems of its own (the battle system has far too many awful quirks), but I still don't have too much of an issue listing it.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Amethyst Wind said:
Izanagi009 said:
Amethyst Wind said:

I've never played the game so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Also, I don't give a shit about optimum builds.

Ever.
Good man/woman.

I get far more enjoyment out of it this way as well. I have a bunch of sub-optimum builds that are crazy fun.
A word of warning, you will almost assuredly not make it to the final play through with anything but a super optimized build. You'll have to throw out all uniqueness a character may have and farm certain weapons and equipment for just about everyone who goes into said play through.