Game of the Half Year

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
The Madman said:
Ruzinus said:
Crusader Kings II!

...okay, I haven't even played that, I just felt like being hipster for a moment...
Hipsters play strategy games?
Why not? The joke is that I just said it without playing it because it's a bit obscure.

Or to put it another way:

Q: How many Hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: It's some really obscure number, you probably haven't heard of it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I would have thought Mass Effect 3 would have it hands down, but then Dragon's Dogma came out. I've poured far too many hours into that game, and for once, it's not a grand overarching story that keeps making me boot my system up. Contrary to what the majority of reviews have claimed, Capcom knocked this one out of the park. I'm absolutely ecstatic that Capcom is planning to make Dragon's Dogma a new major franchise.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
The only games I bought and played this year are Mass Effect 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur.

Both entertained me a lot and also pissed me off to no end, but outside of the ending, I'd say Mass Effect 3 is my choice.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
PortalThinker113 said:
Journey:

Despite its short length, Journey is worth every penny of the money that I spent for it. It is quite possibly the most gorgeous thing I have ever played, with a beautiful art style and amazing, sweeping vistas. The true source of its greatness, however, lies in playing through with another human being. I was lucky enough to find one partner who stuck with me from beginning to end, and the whole experience was something truly magical. When the end came, I felt genuinely moved.
Yeah, it's cool when you find someone who sticks by you the whole game.

That happened on my first playthrough. At one point, during the sliding level, we got separated. I was having fun swooping back and forth, but he (she?) went zipping straight down. When I finally got to the bottom I found him perched on a ledge, looking back up the slide and calling out. I was rather touched.

I don't now who you are Shinobi001, but I love you [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9493-Journey].

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
due to extremely limited money this year ive brought only one new game

so i guess for me Mass Effect wins purely because it had no other competition

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Mass Effect 3: Only game I've bought this year that actually came out this year!

DrBonBon

Sep 14, 2011
Max Payne 3 on the PC shows everyone else once again how to make shooting really fun.
Don't know if this counts but Day Z. Finally someone made a game about the fact that zombies aren't that scary, but the people around you in the zombie ridden world are.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
The Last Story it would be Xenoblade but I got that last year. Journey should also get a special mention and Soul Calibur V I suppose as much as I hate some of the cast (why the alterations?) and lack of single player I like a lot of the changes to the fighting system (especially guard impact as it takes skill now, either use just guard if they spam or its massively telegraphed burn meter for easy one or perform a GI move which stops the stupid GI wars of previous titles) also critical edge and BE attacks work well for mix ups, the create a character is awesome and the netcode is surprisingly solid.

I always seem to come back to it but seriously the trophy for winning 10 ranked wins with Ezio (who I despise) and walking a stupid distance are a bit annoying especially as its one of the few games I would like to platinum still theres nothing else quite like it in fighting games now we just need SCVI with the cast of IV singleplayer of II create a character and netcode of V cutscenes like we had in Soul Blade fighting system of SC and a chronicles of the sword mode of 3 and we will have the greatest fighting game since SF2 oh and get rid of all the guest characters (except yoshimitsu)

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
I've only played Journey, so Journey.

Now if it were DLC... on second thought I've only played BoI WotL.

Dang, 2012 has been dry as hell.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Dragon's Dogma.
Did that come out in the first half of the year?
Mmmm, not sure, but I'm nominating it anyway.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
So, as an EU citizen, the only games I've played released this year are, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Catherine but my to play list includes Journey, Binary Domain, Lollipop Chainsaw and The Walking Dead, oh and Tales of Graces f which is out next month here.

The BEST game I've played this year so far? Catherine, without a doubt, surpassed all of my expectations, both Final Fantasy and Mass Effect beat Catherine in many ways but not as a whole package.

Do I expect this to change? Yeah, in fact I expect Journey to be my game of the year, even thought I haven't played it yet but let's see eh?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Not sure if it was released this year or late last year but Xenoblade Chronicles for me.
I played it this year and I enjoyed it.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
the only game i bought this year new were: diablo 3, ME3, Soulcalibur V.
all great games, but i guess diablo 3 is my favorite. but it is close with the other 2.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Mass effect 3! such an amazing game, yeah, even the ending! for second place its got to be...eh.....huh...its been a slow year. If we're going by games ive played this year, mgs4 if we're going by games release this year..so far the first 2 episodes of the walking dead game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Mass Effect 3 and Journey.

ME3 was a fantastic game with a shit ending (which it still is), and Journey was one of the most emotionally exhilarating games I've ever played which immediately vaporized my anger toward the ME3 ending.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Never been a Mass Effect fan, perhaps I'll try it properly one day. Max Payne 3 is the best new game I've played in a while. Best 5 day rental ever.