Game of the year?

modris

Jul 17, 2006
A few weeks ago Portal was my game of the year, now I have to give that title to Mass Effect. It's such an awesome game that if BioWare wanted to take my credit card details and just automatically send me any downloadable content, merchandise and books the moment they are available, I'd be up for it.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
laikenf said:
What I think is that the this year's GOTY award will be handed to an M rated FPS title (nothing against Super Mario Galaxy, I absolutely love it) because those are the type of games that are "in" this generation; they are the most played and they ultimately get the most attention from developers. Now I don't see that as a bad thing (although I must confess that I've never really enjoyed the genre, except for two or three titles) but I am really looking forward to next year and beyond because I think that all three consoles (specially the more powerful PS3 and 360) have yet to take FULL advantage of what they are TRULY capable of. I say this because a lot of people have noticed that developers have been playing it kind of safe when it comes to creating new experiences that are possible on these boxes (hence the flood of FPS's and the likes). Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, although by no means perfect (both have their issues), are firm steps in the right direction because that is what a lot of gamers where really expecting to see and play. The reason Mario Galaxy has been so universally acclaimed is because it's like a beacon of light (a very bright shinny one I might add) amidst all the violence and bleakness.
Couldnt agree with you more. Another factor that I see in the nomination of GotYs is how much the game was publicized and how well known it is. Thats why I probably will never see my Odin Sphere get any Games of the Year awards @_@.

Edit: I'm a Beat Writer now. sweet!

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
I dunno. Assassin's Creed, Orange Box, Bioshock, Halo 3, what have you, take your pick.

firemonk3y

Oct 9, 2007
but I am really looking forward to next year and beyond because I think that all three consoles (specially the more powerful PS3 and 360) have yet to take FULL advantage of what they are TRULY capable of.
Games shouldn't be about how many polygons you can cram down the consumers throat, but gameplay and fundamental design. To be honest, we'll keep on demanding more polygons, higher definition and more light sources, which will be supplied by companies such as Sony and Microsoft. I'm much more interested in seeing what will happen on the Wii, since the more restricted hardware forces a greater degree of originality upon the developers, as 'sales a la polygon' doesn't work for the understated little white box. I'm also quite keen to see what will happen with indie games next year, since a few gems are dropped each year in that part of the industry.

following this trend, for game of the year I have to promote Knytt - a fantastically simple small indie platformer - which single-handedly managed to keep me more entertained than all the big titles this year. (I havn't played portal yet, so I don't know about that)

TitusCrow

Dec 3, 2007
cod4, the orange box, bioshock, though i couldnt say in which order. of the games that took me by surprise portal has to take it. i havent been filled with a sense of well being like that when playing a game since my gnome warrior got his second hakari blade :) (sorry for all non wow fans who have no idea what im babbling about )

also tf2 was a game i found myself playing way more than i would have though,it also has many genuine lol momments in it.

cod4 is just the best fps of the new generation bar none. Which is just as well because ut3 has dropped the ball bigtime!

Chris Evans

Dec 2, 2007
I think that this year there have been so many top-notch games that many places will find it hard to pick a Game of the Year.

Portal and Call of Duty 4 I think will be battling it out for the top spot with Bioshock coming in close second.

However my gaming experience for the year is limited to PC games so I can't judge on games like Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Mario Galaxy.

If I had to make a choice on the spot....Portal it is.

dannyodwyer

Dec 3, 2007
I really like the concept of GOTY has become redundant. The film industry gives out Oscars for "Best Movie" along with the usual Genre awards, but i think games are far more varied than anything we see in movies, and it just feels wrong to single out one game from a pack of such varied experiences. How do you quantify the enjoyment of Mario Galaxy against Portal or Puzzle Quest. Unlike movies, books and to an extent, music, game types are spread across massive genre and platform gaps. It just seems like we pick a GOTY for the sake of it.

However, gun to my head....eh...Bioshock.
Gave console FPS's a good kick up the arse.

soladrin

Sep 9, 2007
i think i havent seen enough of this years games to name a winner anyway, i only really played Halo 3 and Armored Core 4 from this year's releases, since im a broke guy with a 360 and an ancient PC. so yea, i dont get to experience that much of it.

but if i had to choose from what i've seen...
im guessing bioshock, even though i didnt like it myself, has the highest chance.

qaqa1

Dec 3, 2007
Not a fan of many new games as most seem to be crap now but id have to say just portal from the orange box because it was clever, witty, and just fun in general.

iamtonedef

Dec 2, 2007
I would have said Bioshock...until i beat it.(Worst ending ever?) As far as pure emotional involvement in a game goes, I'd have to say The Orange Box. This is partly because of Portal and partly because of the absolutely incredible ending to Episode 2. Mario Sunshine comes damn close too, but I've yet to beat that. Like a few others, I've yet to play Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4 and Assassins Creed.

So, what I'm really trying to say is...I don't know!

Zoidbergio

Oct 4, 2007
Kermi said:
JamesW said:
Kermi said:
Assassin's Creed has been slammed for repetitive, button-bashing gameplay (which I think is a complete fabrication, but can't comment myself as I've not had the opportunity to play it yet)
Er...
Let me elaborate: one one hand, we have people reporting the game is repetitive, combat is dull, and generally the gameplay falls short in basically every area. On the other hand, people are praising the free-running, rhapsodizing on the variety of ways you can go about taking down your target, and find the combat highly technical.
I'm more willing to side with the latter party, because it seems like my kind of gameplay. The complaints seem to be generated when a game like this so deeply penetrates the gaming market that everyone is led to believe that they will enjoy it, and this can simply never be the case. Bluntly: The complaints I've read don't seem valid to me.
I have played the game through...and loved it.

The "button-mashing" complaint is completely unfounded. Successful combat takes skill, timing, and the use of several different buttons and maneuvers. It recalls ninja gaiden in that if you don't defend yourself and pay attention to multiple enemies at once you will fail.
Taking out 10+ guards at once is one of the most satisfying things to do in games this year. One level near the end has you fighting a crapload of guards all at once and it's great.

GotY candidates:
Forza 2
RE4: Wii Edition
Bioshock
Metroid Prime 3
Halo 3
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Orange Box
Call of Duty 4
Assassin's Creed
Mario Galaxy

I guess Burning Crusade, but i got off that pipe 7 months ago.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
im gonna say portal. the orange box does have to be treated like 5 games so i think portal has to stand on its own. but i still say portal because it brought the biggest breath of fresh air that gaming has seen in a long time. and it did it in a way that was tremendous. the atmoshphere? outstanding. the length? exactly right. the music? "still alive". the story? tons of interesting and deep stuff. the gameplay? one of a kind. to say that about a game is a rare thing and i do beleive it. thus portal deserves game of the year.

milocade

Nov 7, 2007
Anything but Halo 3. In fact any Halo game. Zero Punctuation pretty much sums up what Halo is.

Also the online part of all the Halo's is it's own saving grace.

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
Portal.

I know it's short, but it's totally unique, unprecedented, clever, creative, deceptively simple, etc. It packed more enjoyment into 3 hours (for me) than all those other games do in 20, so I think it's perfectly acceptable to compare it to "full" titles since it handily outshines most of them.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Portal
Super Mario Galaxy
Pokemon Diamond / Pearl

Those four.

MacCarth

Nov 18, 2007
Galaxy should get the game of the year. It's the only game that was critically acclaimed enough to oust Ocarina of Time out of it's 10 year time slot (even though it was only for a day). The game is absolutely wonderful.

That being said, there are several other games that could also be considered as GOTY caliber, such as Halo 3, Bioshock, The Orange Box (does it count as a game?), Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Aka cocaine for your DS), Assassins Creed, and perhaps even Metroid Prime 3 closing out the bottom of the list.

My only case against Halo is that you need online functionality to make it fun. I keep hearing people telling me to "buy it for online play." I just can't put my faith into a game that is unable to be fun without other people.

Ownagecake

Dec 4, 2007
FPS - Call of Duty 4
Turn Based - Medieval 2 Kingdoms
RTS - Medieval 2 Kingdoms. That game is the ace *Hands up in the air and shiny teeth*

I haven't played Portal :(

goodpoltergeist

Oct 9, 2007
Can't stop playing Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga...(don't think it'll win, because it's just two games that were already released, combined...but IT'S SO GOOD!)

Also Super Mario Galaxy is ridiculously cool as well.

Xifel

Nov 28, 2007
World In Conflict was an realy amazing game. Great gameplay, beutiful graphics, amazing atmosphere, great storytelling, intresting characters. But what else could you expect from Sweden? :)

Crysis was a great game in the FPS-line. Detailed, so not even a ex-military guy could complain. And of course beutiful, but it completely ruined my computers self-esteem.

Medieval 2: Total War. It's Total War, and that's always good.