Game of Thrones Abridged: "The Watchers on the Wall" - Arrows! Giants! Lovable Characters Dying!

Matt Lees

Mar 10, 2014
"The Watchers on the Wall" - Arrows! Giants! Lovable Characters Dying!

This week's episode features a gigantic battle between the Night's Watch and the Wildling army! Lots of people die.

Watch Video

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The tag-team of "suitably-rousing twat" and "sentient testicle", sent me reeling. Good show old bean! :D

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
That guy shot by a giant arrow, best....death....ever. Close second, the wall blade. And after, the watchers were all "Hoist it back up!" I'm thinking, giant bladed anchor shaving wildlings like a bad case of the mange, how do you fight that? It's the giant pendulum of mass doom! Sure the show is getting a bit predictable - character building throughout, big battle/deaths of characters near the end, but it remains not so predictable (for us non-readers) in who exactly is going to literally get the axe, or sword, or smithy hammer, or arrow in the chest.

Invariably, some people
[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/tvrecaps/gameofthrones/11627-Game-of-Thrones-Review-Just-Enough-Story-to-Get-on-with-the-Battle[/link]
will say "There wasn't enough there there" or somesuch rubbish, to which I say, we got plenty of drama in the last 3 episodes. Sit back, enjoy the bloodshed that is itself the result of people just not listening to Jon. And a giant! With a bow! I suspect (hope) that Thorne dies from that slice in the leg he got, or at least is unable to perform his duties. House M.D. he is not. He's an idiot, now he even knows he's an idiot and, rousing battle speeches or not, he thinks more about his position than proper battle strategy. He's a "highborn ****" as Locke would say. It's too bad that Jon is taking the long walk into the barren wastes, bringing the law to the lawless. This kind of choice never ends well for the character making it. Fade to white indeed. If he dies, I hope they burn him after, or the red god intercedes on Jon's behalf. That'd be cool.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Remus said:
That guy shot by a giant arrow, best....death....ever. Close second, the wall blade. And after, the watchers were all "Hoist it back up!" I'm thinking, giant bladed anchor shaving wildlings like a bad case of the mange, how do you fight that? It's the giant pendulum of mass doom! Sure the show is getting a bit predictable - character building throughout, big battle/deaths of characters near the end, but it remains not so predictable (for us non-readers) in who exactly is going to literally get the axe, or sword, or smithy hammer, or arrow in the chest.

Invariably, some people
[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/tvrecaps/gameofthrones/11627-Game-of-Thrones-Review-Just-Enough-Story-to-Get-on-with-the-Battle[/link]
will say "There wasn't enough there there" or somesuch rubbish, to which I say, we got plenty of drama in the last 3 episodes. Sit back, enjoy the bloodshed that is itself the result of people just not listening to Jon. And a giant! With a bow! I suspect (hope) that Thorne dies from that slice in the leg he got, or at least is unable to perform his duties. House M.D. he is not. He's an idiot, now he even knows he's an idiot and, rousing battle speeches or not, he thinks more about his position than proper battle strategy. He's a "highborn ****" as Locke would say. It's too bad that Jon is taking the long walk into the barren wastes, bringing the law to the lawless. This kind of choice never ends well for the character making it. Fade to white indeed. If he dies, I hope they burn him after, or the red god intercedes on Jon's behalf. That'd be cool.
The season dicked around for 7 episodes and is trying to cram everything into the final 3 because it's poorly paced.

The reason everyone liked the first season most is because the pacing was good, story and big events happened in a reasonable amount of time, but that all fell apart in following seasons where story inches along, small revelations and a big CGI 9th episode. Seriously, I groaned when I realized they were going to milk Tyrions second trial for the whole.. damm... season. His first one took place in what, one and a half episodes and felt a lot more exciting than trying to build up 5 episodes to Inigo Montoya flopping around a recast mountian. Bran started traveling north in 2012 when he was 10-11, now he looks 16 regardless of just a few months passing in-story.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Nurb said:
Remus said:

Invariably, some people
The season dicked around for 7 episodes and is trying to cram everything into the final 3 because it's poorly paced.

The reason everyone liked the first season most is because the pacing was good, story and big events happened in a reasonable amount of time, but that all fell apart in following seasons where story inches along, small revelations and a big CGI 9th episode. Seriously, I groaned when I realized they were going to milk Tyrions second trial for the whole.. damm... season. His first one took place in what, one and a half episodes and felt a lot more exciting than trying to build up 5 episodes to Inigo Montoya flopping around a recast mountian. Bran started traveling north in 2012 when he was 10-11, now he looks 16 regardless of just a few months passing in-story.
You do realize that if the show followed the books the actor would be 35 at this point? This is a problem any book adaptation has - actors age. To complain about it is akin to complaining it gets warm in the summer. And the Mountain was recast, we knew this, what, back in Season 2 when they had that skinny kid playing him for one single scene. At least the bodybuilder they got actually looks somewhat like the original actor. The story is not inching along - Daenerys's siege of Meereen was all of one episode where they employed subterfuge rather than bang on the wall all season, and throughout the show events are being pulled from multiple books, even showing characters not yet revealed, in order to keep the series from stalling out. I don't blame them for having 2 episodes with Tyrion in a cell or on trial then one in which his champion gets his head sploded. The trial was necessary, so was the duel, oh and while these were going on, Littlefinger and Sansa were taking over the Aerie. So the trial was not the center of the show for the whole season as much as you'd like to believe.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Nurb said:
Remus said:

I think the biggest problem is the characters became too spread out. First season was a good focus between Ned, Tyrion, and Dany. Occasionally there'd be some side character scenes, but these had purpose. Characterization. In the later seasons, as more characters were introduced and spread to different locations, we got a lot more wasteful scenes simply for the purpose of "checking up" on characters. Brann still going north? Yup, here's a fifteen minute waste of time to show you that. Despite the popular perception, Martin isn't that trigger-happy in the literary sense. He kills plenty of minor ones, but spares the bigger ones. That's why we're only accumulating more. The start of this season felt more focused, but it ended up worse by the end.

And hell, just think of how bad it'll be for season 5
If we stay with the books, we'll be adding Victarion and Euron, Wyman Manderly (although they might run that over the Bolton storyline), and Ellaria's going to be in Dorne. Tyrion AND Jamie will be leaving King's Landing to separate places, but we STILL have to stay there because of Cersei and Margarey. Finally, Samwell and Gilly leave Castle Black too. So if we're counting that gives us Stannis, Jon, Euron/Victarion, Manderlys, Boltons/Reek, Sansa/Littlefinger, Cersei/Margarey, Tyrion, Danaerys, Jamie, Ellaria, Sam, and Brann/Jojen. That's 13 freaking storyline they'll be bouncing in between.

GoT's going to have to find some more stuff to dump, diminish, or put off, or the show's only going to be a bigger mess.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
irishda said:
And hell, just think of how bad it'll be for season 5
If we stay with the books, we'll be adding Victarion and Euron, Wyman Manderly (although they might run that over the Bolton storyline), and Ellaria's going to be in Dorne. Tyrion AND Jamie will be leaving King's Landing to separate places, but we STILL have to stay there because of Cersei and Margarey. Finally, Samwell and Gilly leave Castle Black too. So if we're counting that gives us Stannis, Jon, Euron/Victarion, Manderlys, Boltons/Reek, Sansa/Littlefinger, Cersei/Margarey, Tyrion, Danaerys, Jamie, Ellaria, Sam, and Brann/Jojen. That's 13 freaking storyline they'll be bouncing in between.
Could have been worse, they could have
introduced the Greyjoy arc with the horn to control dragons. But since they haven't we can assume that particular arc in the book will end about as well as can be imagined; Dragons laughing at the Greyjoys, then setting their boats on fire.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
That was an exceptionally good one. For some reason I really liked the box of Cornettos and the fourth wall bit.

Personally though I was happy just seeing Gough back in action.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
No way! My two favourite shows are coming to a close in the same week? Shenanigans!

Jan 12, 2012
The big swinging blade is cool, but seems immensely impractical; a few guys with crossbows and rocks can do anywhere on the Wall and pick off climbers without having to use that giant contraption and hope that the people are in the (relatively) small arc. I doubt your significant other well let you install one, but she might go for some burning oil.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Plenty of good jokes in this one, that made me laugh several times, so definitely one of the best episodes you've done so far.

But I'm still upset that there won't be any Tyrion vs

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Hence I thoguth there was an abridge episode since Matt has been making abridged E3 events (on his youtube cahnnel) since it wasn't up at 5pm.
Also ha I remember Sharky and George themetune and yeah the giant arrow and the ice wall scene battle were awesome despite being brutal (but not as brutal compared to last week).

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
The big swinging blade is cool, but seems immensely impractical; a few guys with crossbows and rocks can do anywhere on the Wall and pick off climbers without having to use that giant contraption and hope that the people are in the (relatively) small arc. I doubt your significant other well let you install one, but she might go for some burning oil.
well, the blade is reuseable, they told them to "hoist it back up", but I think the most valuable aspect of it is intimidation.

I there are a lot of climbers thinking "I can take an arrow!" or "I got a nice sturdy hat for this one.", they might just make it through sheer numbers.
None of em are gonna argue with that thing swinging around, and I bet the smith had a hell of a time making it.