Game of Thrones Actress Will Be Sarah Connor in Terminator Reboot

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Stop it, Hollywood. Stop with these stupid reboots! You're about as creatively bankrupt as the AAA shooter market.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Okay, let's be fair. How many of us expected Linda Hamilton's complete "amazonification" in T2? I mean, with the benefit of hindsight you could say you saw the signs, but back then a lot of us were floored by the transformation from the first film.

Don't get me wrong, it's pretty clear that this re-reboot is going to fall on its face quite spectactularly- but I think the fault will be far more on the producers than on Emilia Clarke.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Quazimofo said:
I'm not to sure on Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor. She's too... well, pretty and doesn't really look like the type to one-arm pump a shotgun then shoot her twin. She can be intimidating, but in a different way. More like grand-wizard malevolence "you are nothing but an inconvenience" rather than "I can and will kill you by myself if you get in my way" intimidating.
So? It's a reboot. Why do people think that characters in reboots have to act the same as characters in the original? They don't. Some of them don't even have to exist.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So that pale fragile little thing from GoT who looks the wrong side of underweight AND like she hasn't even seen a weight in her life, let alone lifted one, is going to be the badass muscular masculine Sarah Connor?!

Sure, what else could go wrong? Hell, while we're at it, lets get Justin Bieber to be the new Mrk. IV Terminator!

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Quazimofo said:
I'm not to sure on Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor. She's too... well, pretty and doesn't really look like the type to one-arm pump a shotgun then shoot her twin. She can be intimidating, but in a different way. More like grand-wizard malevolence "you are nothing but an inconvenience" rather than "I can and will kill you by myself if you get in my way" intimidating.
So? It's a reboot. Why do people think that characters in reboots have to act the same as characters in the original? They don't. Some of them don't even have to exist.
Well sure they don't but if you're going to change things that are particularly important to the story/setting, why not change more stuff and make a new IP or story rather than a re-boot or re-make of the original? Besides, they apparently aren't trying to make it significantly different if they got Arnold to come back and reprise his role, so I'm just wondering why cast an actor more similar to Linda Hamilton?
For all we know, the re-make can be good, I'm not trying to be a "they changed it so it sucks" fanboy, I was just expressing my thoughts since Sarah Connor as she was was pretty important to the Terminator universe. I sincerely doubt they can improve over the original, since this IS modern hollywood we're talking about, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Also, just going to say my opinion on the original is not tinted by nostalgia goggles. I saw it for the first time just a week or so ago and I wasn't even born until after the 80s . It's just a good-if somewhat cheesy- movie with surprisingly decent cg for a robot all things considered.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I'm fine with a reboot of Terminator. But she's just too, pretty and girlish to play Sarah Connor. Sarah is a warrior.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
These movies are awesome so let's hope justice is done.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm really worried about this. I love the films, with Terminator 2 being one of my favourite movies of all time, and the Sarah Conner Chronicles was so good. Why don't they just continue the tv series instead of trying reboots? Is it just me, or is nearly every film/game series getting rebooted now? Do something NEW Hollywood, I bloody dare you. I mean, it's telling when the news that a beloved franchise is coming back is met with horror and trepidation instead of excitement. Clearly you're doing something wrong.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Realitycrash said:
Hey, the Sarah Connor Chronicles were AWESOME. Almost every episode made some sense on the grander scale of things and weren't just "Terminator of the Week", and both Lena Headey as Connor and Summer Glau as the obligatory "good terminator" performed admirably.

However, I do feel that the new actor might be a bit..Eh..Too young to play a convincing Sarah? Maybe they can make her look older.
Well, the problem is that "Terminator" works best as a more or less self-contained story, once you start trying to spin it into an infinitely perpetuating temporal cycle it starts to get pretty eye rolling. "Sarah Conner Chronicles" was decent for what it was trying to do, but I admit I felt it was really stretching things, and it doesn't shock me that the series didn't make it into the long term franchise it was intended to be.

I think half the problem is that "Terminator" tries to maintain the status quo from the first couple of movies that were decent, as in wanting to portray the humans as plucky underdogs. This typically involves having to make John Connor into an incompetent or at least reluctant whining weiner of a character who might "one day grow into a hero" while focusing entirely on Mommy and whomever the action guy of the moment is (Future soldier, renegade terminator, or whatever). That formula worked well for a story but when you try and pretty much do it again and again, or try and justify that status quo remaining as is when the whole concept doesn't allow for it outside of a specific brief story framework it becomes a problem. The point of the reboot seems to be intended to re-do the same old story yet again without having to worry about the flimsy justifying they already created to try and stretch it out.

Truthfully the big problem I had with "Terminator" was that the entire concept is supposed to pretty much be that Skynet is losing, and losing badly. We see images of a grim future with a couple of human scouts getting chased down (human scouts which I might add seem to take marksmanship lessons from Imperial Stormtroopers given their inability to hit a slow moving robo-gunship with a vehicle mounted energy cannon) but the basic premise is that the whole point of Skynet sending back a "Terminator" is that it's a desperation gambit being tried in the 11th hour. I could accept the events of the first movie perhaps having delayed the inevitable enough for a second chance, but beyond that there was a point at which you pretty much have to accept that it should be over given the premise. What's more the guys elaborating on the future setting never seemed to really grasp the concept that especially in "Sarah Conner Chronciles" humanity should be portrayed as having the situation pretty much under control, with Skynet and it's forces being the things hiding in the cracks (not humans) trying any desperate gamble to turn the war around as that was the initial premise that held the entire thing together.

Those are just my thoughts though. If I was ever going to reboot the series, not that I think it should be done, I might take some inspiration from other sources about intelligent machines and start raising some questions about whether Skynet was entirely wrong if some kind of mechanical AI genocide was being planned beforehand. Not to mention that if Skynet is putting people into camps as opposed to just killing everyone, perhaps even make the argument that where humans are trying to kill all Machines, Skynet at least plans to let humanity survive and try and re-build it into a species it can cohabitate with... once the war is over. Very old ideas (old long before Mass Effect covered the material) but still something you could do if you really HAD to try and drag this franchise out... which IMO you
really shouldn't do to begin with.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Why a reboot? I could agree if it was part of an ongoing series of movies so all new characters are important. But even then if your going to reboot it why even have a Sarah Conner? Why not just make a new sequel with new characters? All this reboot will achieve is retelling the same story except they will use crappy cgi instead of a Terminator model like in the original. Why not just have the movie based around a group of future soldiers on present day earth as they are dealing with other terminators? Be more interesting that a reboot. Hell even the Terminator comics that came out over 10 plus years ago had more originality in them than this reboot will.

You dont need Sarah Conner to make a great Terminator movie. The same way you dont need Ripley to make a great Aliens movie. Which is the reasons the comics of those franchises are so much better than the movies. Both those movies are so old its only the older generation that even care about who Sarah and Ripley are. Most 18 year olds (even moreso if they make it a 13 movie) wont even care. New characters and new plots and story.....not recycling.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Realitycrash said:
Hey, the Sarah Connor Chronicles were AWESOME. Almost every episode made some sense on the grander scale of things and weren't just "Terminator of the Week", and both Lena Headey as Connor and Summer Glau as the obligatory "good terminator" performed admirably.

However, I do feel that the new actor might be a bit..Eh..Too young to play a convincing Sarah? Maybe they can make her look older.
Agreed. That show was awesome, and the way it ended made me really want to know what happened. Except it was cancelled, so we will never know. Though there is talk of another new Terminator tv show, though not the SCC show. Which is a big mistake.

I dont know why they cant make a new reboot of the first movie but set it after the first movie, a kind of sequel i guess but instead of retelling the story from scratch, just have flash backs to the original. So the reboot can be a whole original story and allows people who havnt seen the original, the option to watch it to get more back story.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
They say reboot like every single other Terminator movie wasn't (They all reset the timelines). I've never really understood the bagging on Salvation either. Other then the flub of blowing your "twist" in the opening prologue, it was a decent enough take on sci-fi action in the Terminator future-verse (as opposed to the more horror oriented 1&2), and certainly better then the non-existent tone of 3.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
As long as they don't take their bloody time getting to the war in the future and seeing John lead the resistance to it's victory or defeat, then I'm up for giving this a chance, and I'm a big Terminator fan.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
I'm fine with a reboot of Terminator. But she's just too, pretty and girlish to play Sarah Connor. Sarah is a warrior.
Sgt. Sykes said:
I remember how heavily I ROFL'd when I saw the hardass Connor Headey as a queen. But she's so great I couldn't imagine anyone else in either of those roles.

So I guess if it works one way it could work another way too.

Yet, even though I haven't seen Clarke in any other role, she's one of those actresses which seem to be the least fitted to the role of Connor. She's just too sweet and frankly doesn't even seem to be such a good actress either. Every time she acts like a badass it just seems way off. Hell every other woman in Game seems to be more fitted to play Connor. Of course I'm not complaining about the eye candy in Game, but Terminator...
Kennetic said:
Why are they even remaking Terminator? There was nothing wrong with the first one that requires a reboot. I do love Emilia Clarke though, she's so cute! (Too cut for Sarah Connor unfortunately)
Realitycrash said:

a Whole lot of people seem to be remembering Sarah Connor/Linda Hamilton from T2:JD, and not the original. A couple have commented that she was a very different woman physically in the first to the second, and that is very important to the character.

Hamilton was 28 when the first terminator was made, Emilia Clark is what 25? Hardly too young, will probably be the same age by the time it was released. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Quazimofo said:
Also, just going to say my opinion on the original is not tinted by nostalgia goggles. I saw it for the first time just a week or so ago and I wasn't even born until after the 80s . It's just a good-if somewhat cheesy- movie with surprisingly decent cg for a robot all things considered.
The terminator skeletons were done with stop-motion clay animation, not CG, and were an amazing piece of special effects work, especially for the time. Just a bit of useless info.