Game of Thrones and House of Cards Combine in Brilliant Spoof

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Game of Thrones and House of Cards Combine in Brilliant Spoof

Quiznos's House of Thrones video drops Frank Underwood in Westeros with hilarious results.

When it comes to television, Game of Thrones has pretty much cornered the market for brutal storytelling filled to the brim with backstabbing and betrayal. That being the case, the bloody battles of Westeros could arguably find a strong contender in the Netflix's House of Cards. The tale of congressman Frank Underwood's ascension into the higher realms of Washington, it's a series often just as ruthless and underhanded as HBO's grand fantasy. And now, thanks to Quiznos, the two have met in a video that can only be described as glorious.

Dropping Mr. Underwood in the midst of the warring seven kingdoms, House of Thrones sees the wily character strolling through encounters with some of Game of Thrones most famous characters. Some he just insults while others he outright dispatches. He also does a bit of advertising for Quiznos along the way (the restaurant sponsored the video), but the product plug is so brief that it's almost inconsequential.

While the concept of coupling these two properties, on its own, is pretty danged brilliant, what makes it work so well is easily the performance of celebrity impersonator Ross Marquand who absolutely nails Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood. His southern accent and mannerisms; watching Marquand saunter from encounter to encounter feels like watching a younger version of Underwood's character. According to Marquand, he "watched Season 2 of 'House of Cards' in almost one night to try to get the cadence and the flow of [Underwood's] voice" down. We'd say it was well worth the work.

Source: NY Post

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Okay that is awesome but that needs a MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT. That last bit in GoT hasn't happened yet.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Scorpid said:
Okay that is awesome but that needs a MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT. That last bit in GoT hasn't happened yet.
Indeed, I think the article needs to mention major spoilers for the TV show.

Excellent voice impression though. Especially loved the knocking on the table at the end. :D

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
There is only one scene here that really sorta happens like that in the books, everything else is just made up. That one scene would've seemed as fake as the others to those who didn't read the book. It's only a spoiler when you point out that it is one.

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
Scorpid said:
They let that slip in the Game of Thrones parody on South Park, too. Luckily, both that and this it was in with a smattering of other nonsense, so unless you already know what's going to happen you don't really recognize it as a spoiler.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the South Park writing team or the people who made this just made a lucky guess. It does seem to be rather obvious, when you sit down and think about it.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Glad to know that others have made the connection between the two shows. I ended up finally getting the energy to catch up to Game of Thrones after my giant House of Cards marathon.

Its a good thing that I finished season 3 yesterday. The majority of the jokes wouldn't have made much sense to me otherwise. I sort of found the whole thing tiresome but it still passes in my book on sheer concept alone.

And that perfect Frank Underwood impression. I always get hyped at that knuckle tap.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Scorpid said:
Read the books YO! Everything has already happened there so to me it was quite hilarious.

Hello Frank Underwood's understudy! You are doing a mighty fine job there.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
The impression was brilliant but the jokes were... a bit flat.

Nothing will ever beat Bad Lip Reading's version.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
Impressed by the production values, but not particularly amused. I don't enjoy how unchallenged Frank is in HoC and how easy it is for him to get his own way. While this video managed to parody the heck out of that, by making Frank's victories *even* easier, I'm not sure that was its intention.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Scorpid said:
The point was that none of that has happened... A random guy doesn't show up and push John off the wall. A random guy doesn't show up and have his own dragon breathe fire on Daenerys. If anything:
you're the one spoiling stuff because you just semi-confirmed that the last part does happen

Anyway, that was pretty funny. Poor Tyrion. I was half[man] expecting him to outdo the narrator at his own plotting.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
While the voice acting for Frank was superb, this reeked way too much of "we're a brand, look at how viral we are!!!"

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Hmmmm...Looks good, now replace the American phoney with Sir Francis Urquhart and it would be perfect. A real shame Ian Richardson is no longer with us, he would have fit right into Game of Thrones effortlessly.