Game of Thrones Creator : HBO's Iron Throne "Not What I Want"

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Lets be fair, theres no way they could have built the one from the book, too pointy, too not safe.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
I always imagined the throne to be quite a grotesque thing that was not something you'd like to stare at let alone sit upon. I don't mind the show's version of the throne, it's probably for the best that they scaled it down but I am mildly annoyed at how comfy people who sit in it look, it's not meant to be comfy it's meant to be kinda deadly, you're not meant to want to sit there for too long and it's been known to be quite deadly for some kings.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It looks way more menacing, definately. But within the confines of the show it would look positively ludicrous. Maybe they could've struck a happy medium, but as it looks in that concept design it just wouldn't work.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
One thing that has always really irritated me about the TV version is that the Kings guard are never standing in front of it. On several occasions a person has managed to quite comfortably approach the King without any interference. They are almost always at the opposite end of the throne room where they'd do no good at all.

Personally my only gripe with changes for TV shows is when they take out parts, but then add in pointless scenes to create unnecessary drama or titillation. It's all well and good claiming that you don't have enough time to include everything, but preferably source material should be used over making up your own scenes.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Holy shit that looks badass.

However, with this throne in the show, we wouldn't have gotten that glorious shot of Tywin walking up the steps and tower over Joffrey sitting on the throne to symbolically put him in his place.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
his throne sounds very good - on paper. as a model for TV series i think HBO one fit better.
then again if they still had skulls of the draons in the throne room then yes that coudl fit very well.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Oh, Martin, I would love to see your comments, when the show's timeline surpasses your books...

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
1. That looks absolutely amazing, and I wish someone would make it.

2. That wouldn't work for the TV show. First, and most importantly, there's no way for an advisor to stoop and whisper in his ear, unless that advisor is 20 feet tall - and in a TV show, you want to leave as many options for conversations as possible. Secondly, few sets could hold it, those that could would be more expensive, it would be a pain to move - heck, it'd probably be a safety hazard for those on or around it.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Having watched a few interviews with him on the subject of adaptation of his works, he seems rather pleased with it generally.

Also as others have said the "true" throne would be a mess to work with from a preatical point of view.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
tlgAlaska said:
His version of the throne looks awesome, but it would be almost impossible to frame any decent shots with more then one actor if they would go with that version.
That's what I was thinking. What I like about the series is how intimate the scenes can be (even the very "public" ones), which is a little spoiled if one person is twelve feet off the floor and the camera needs to keep cutting back and forth between them and the plebs on the ground.

chikusho said:
However, with this throne in the show, we wouldn't have gotten that glorious shot of Tywin walking up the steps and tower over Joffrey sitting on the throne to symbolically put him in his place.
Also this. When you convert a book to a visual media like TV or film, it's almost criminal not to take advantage of the new things you can do to tell the story.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
FalloutJack said:
George, get back to writing the damn book. We don't need to see you slacking off and talking to the camera while your high-grossing show is catching up to your successful book series. Just keep writing and let other people do THEIR job while you do yours.
His job does involve working on the TV show, but don't let facts spoil your rant. I also suspect if all his interviews and stuff were cut there would be little appreciable change in when the next book comes out.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
The one in the picture does look pretty cool, but I think it would look ludicrously out of place in the series. I know it's the point that it's supposed to look out of place, but for the TV show it might be a little too much. The series throne is "simplistic" yet detailed, sometimes less is more. In text it can be anything you want it to be, as the reader will fill in any blanks and come up with their own interpretation with the description given. In a visual medium, things need to be clear and bold, which the series throne is. It's the reason the bayformers look awful because they're so over designed, in a visual medium, you need to know when to pull things back.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't really know what authors expect, but it seems like they lack pattern recognition. "What? You weren't true to my detailed material? This has never happened before...ever!"

This one seems pointlessly anal.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
While budget restriction likely kept them from making a more disturbing size for it, it would have helped establish an uneasy feeling to the audience (for me at least). A clever way to portray the monstrosity of war and how everyone seem obssessed with sitting on top of society even if it means making a pile of blood-drenched steel through symbolism.

And that depiction actually shows how that thing could cause fatal injury to you if you're not careful. Just imagine stumbling to the side when climbing those steps... Really shows how Aerys II was constantly cut by it in his endless restlessness.

Though we wouldn't have been able to have that awesome scene in the throne room between Joffrey and Tywin in Season 3.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I don't really know what authors expect, but it seems like they lack pattern recognition. "What? You weren't true to my detailed material? This has never happened before...ever!"

This one seems pointlessly anal.
In the actual blog post, Martin points out that he understands and approves of all the decisions leading to the TV version of the throne (size, practicality etc). He also states that he actually "loves" the design.
OP simply choose to not mention this and instead deliberately made it seem like Martin was somehow pissed at the TV version.

size15boot

Nov 27, 2009
If they made the throne that big for television, it wouldn't frame well for getting both the actor on the throne and the council or subjects in the same shot. It's just impractical.