Game of Thrones Episode 9...

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
UrinalDook said:
GrimTuesday said:
I'm so sick of non-readers complaining about spoilers, and I think spoiling things is stupid. If you're choosing to remain unspoiled that's your choice, so why should we have to change our behavior just for you? Its not our job to carry out your every whim.
That's a pretty self centred attitude. Is it too far beyond the realms of possibility for people to be fans of the show but not want to read the books? Are you unable to comprehend that maybe people want to discuss the episode they've just watched without accidently discovering what will happen in the next series? Avoiding one spoilers is one thing, but having them turn up where you don't expect them is something else.

He's not asking you to 'change your behaviour', or even take your discussion elsewhere. He's simply asking you to add nineteen extra characters to your post so that people don't read material from later books in a thread ostensibly discussing only the events of one episode.

Given the amazing reactions the TV audience has had to the Red Wedding, I can't believe anyone would want to spoil later events for these poor children of summer.

Captcha: "that escalated quickly". Reading the thread too, are we captcha?
Look, my issue is his assertion that people who posted unmarked spoilers should have punitive action taken against them. I almost always post spoilers in spoiler tags, I enjoy seeing people's shocked reactions to the events of the show, but I honestly feel that if someone wants to remain spoiler free its on them to actively read in order to avoid them. In addition, a thread about the books or the show are both somewhere you would expect to find spoilers, so its not like its out of left field.

layden radeen

Apr 13, 2012
I liked the Episode as a hole but the ending was a bit to quick and over done buy the end I was just thinking JESUS CHRIST!!
and I think a little more down time between the seen start and end would be nice

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I was disappointed with the assault on Yunkai, it had a good moment with Daario, Grey Worm and Ser Jorah but it could have been more.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
It was really shocking and I ended up getting quite angry over the whole thing it is just like OZ all over again

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
It was truly shocking. I knew something was off when I heard the Rains of Castamere playing, but I was just...speechless.

[I'm just left with Team Stannis and team Targaryen now. Anyone but Joffrey and that bastard Walder Frey. And I suppose there's still the Blackfish. We didn't actually see him die, and he was out of the room at the time. If he somehow survived, I hope dearly his vengeance will be terrible to behold.]

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Baron_Rouge said:
And I suppose there's still the Blackfish. We didn't actually see him die, and he was out of the room at the time. If he somehow survived, I hope dearly his vengeance will be terrible to behold.]
The Blackfish was not killed at the Twins (in fact, in the book, he doesn't attend the wedding). He returns to Riverrun. Riverrun and Raventree Hall both remain in rebellion (as well as, of course, Dragonstone and Storm's End, both controlled by Stannis).

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
now that was what i call good tv! i have read the first 2 books only, not being a big reader. and i knew deaths were afoot thanks to a friend who loves to lord his book based knowledge ;) but damn that was well played

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
It seems I'm the only one that was not shocked by the Red Wedding. I mean it was brutal and whatnot, but I saw that coming for so many miles, and I don't read the books, that it had very little "shocking value" .

Robs story arc was boring anyways and that he would die rather sooner than later was so predictable.

IMO the whole show totally lost its magic in the third season.

Peter Dinklages character has gone from badass to wuss since his father arrived.

I don't give even the slightest f*ck what happens to the crazy guy and his red priestess.

Nothing is happening with Aria at all.

Nothing really happens with the baby Starks.

Sansa just gets emotionally tortured.

The Greyjoy guy gets tortured by god knows who for god knows what.

The only two remaining interesting storylines get by far the least screen time and that Jon Snow will die, probably killed by his wildling girl, could only be more obvious if Martin would come to my house with a bat that has "The Bastard dies" written on it and beats me with it.

Martin's writing is so ridiculously predictable. He took the "everybody can die" trope he established in the first season/book and made it into a "everybody will die". For me thats even more boring as if you know nothing too bad will happen to the protagonists. At least then you have characters you like and are invested in. Centering your whole story around "muhahaha I'm so dark and edgy and will kill everybody" gets really old really quick, especially if I dont really care about most of the characters.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
auron200004 said:
Exceptionally well done. I've read the books, so the entire episode (since I knew what was going to come based on the title of the episode - "Rains of Castamere") I was on the edge of my seat with anticipation, waiting for the particular moment to come. I only had one real problem with the episode, and that was

That Greywind didn't get his epic moment before dying that he does in the books. In SoS, he manages to break free of his kennel and kill several Frey guardsmen before finally succumbing to crossbow bolts. Instead, in the episode, he just gets shot in the kennel. Still emotional, and I understand that it is difficult to train dogs to go on fake killing sprees (although they just did that with Summer and Shaggydog earlier that same episode). I just wished that would have gotten the same treatment as the books. The best part, in my opinion, was the very end with the look on Catelyn's face followed by slitting and then dead silent credits. AMAZING!

But, yeah, superb episode that has been built up over several episodes that finally pays off in a humongous way. Probably the best of the season so far, just like every episode 9 of every season, oddly enough.

Agreed on your problem, however

He does get that last moment eye contact with Arya, whilst not especially epic or getting to rip out some treacherous Frey/Bolton throats, it was quite heart rending. As someone who's read the books and come to terms with the fact that there are simply no happy endings in this series, that still hit me just a little bit... Still, Always Joffrey's wedding to look forward to, that ought to cheer folks up.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Chris Tian said:
The only two remaining interesting storylines get by far the least screen time and that Jon Snow will die, probably killed by his wildling girl, could only be more obvious if Martin would come to my house with a bat that has "The Bastard dies" written on it and beats me with it.

Martin's writing is so ridiculously predictable. He took the "everybody can die" trope he established in the first season/book and made it into a "everybody will die". For me thats even more boring as if you know nothing too bad will happen to the protagonists. At least then you have characters you like and are invested in. Centering your whole story around "muhahaha I'm so dark and edgy and will kill everybody" gets really old really quick, especially if I dont really care about most of the characters.
Aghahahahahahahahahahaahaaaaaa...

Oooh boy. You know nothing, Chris Tian. You sound like this guy:

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
OhJohnNo said:
Chris Tian said:
Oooh boy. You know nothing, Chris Tian.
I have a smile on my face every time a new fan outlines their expected outcomes for the show. The story rarely does what you want it to do.

Chris Tian

May 5, 2012
OhJohnNo said:
Chris Tian said:

Aghahahahahahahahahahaahaaaaaa...

Oooh boy. You know nothing, Chris Tian. You sound like this guy:

The only prediction I made was "Jon Snow will die" and I did not say in the third season. He will die and something dramatic will happen to the wildling girl, I think she kills him, maybe he kills her.

So when that happens I write you a "called it" pm ;)

But like I said thats not really what took the series down from the "the best thing of all times on TV" podest for me. Its that nothing really interesting is going on, except the Jon Snow storyline and knowing that he will die takes the wind out of its sails, and the Dragon Queen storyline, but hers is so detached from the rest of the story that watching 60 minutes of show for 5 minutes that interest me is kind of a chore.

What really saves the series for me is the acting and the whole production value, it just looks so good, even if the story itself is very meh. Whoever is responsible for the casting choices deserves a medal.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
FargoDog said:
LuisGuimaraes said:
But what's left for a good plot now?
Not the soap opera going on in King's Landing...

I mean, the writter simple ate everything he has in the fridge in a single sandwich. Nice and all, but now there's only lamen left for the rest of the month.
From a reader of the books, I can assure you, the next season will have some of the best plotting yet.
Well, that's very good news. Thx.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
GrimTuesday said:
Being a fan of the books first and foremost, I think one issue with the show is it tends to put things to bed rather quickly. In the books, Robbs wife doesn't die, so there was speculation that she might be pregnant, and that we might be something happy out of all this. But instead, they both killed her in the show, as well as killed that theory for the books as well. Also, I honestly don't think there should have been so much killing of the folks at the wedding. Sure, in the books a lot of people died, but a lot were taken prisoner because they were mostly other lords, who make far better hostages than corpses .

That said, Great episode. Knowing what was happening didn't make it any easier for me, I had to pause and gird myself for what I knew was to come.
Actually the books strongly indicate to Jeyne Westerling being given Moon Tea by her mother under the lie of it helping her get pregnant (Moon Tea is a contraceptive). It's seen in her conversation with Catelyn at Riverrun.

While Jeyne is not directly implicated, as she seems to be oblivious in that conversation, it's quite obvious her mother hates Robb for killing her husband (Jeynes father) in the attack on the Westerling holdfast. So she is trying to do whatever she can to thwart Robb in producing an heir, possibly in league with Tywin Lannister or some other foe of Starks. Robbs heir isn't going to happen, one way or another.

It's also made mention that only people of importance are captured, Edwin Tully being the most prominent (as he is now Lord of Riverrun).

Chris Tian said:
The only prediction I made was "Jon Snow will die" and I did not say in the third season. He will die and something dramatic will happen to the wildling girl, I think she kills him, maybe he kills her.
Jon Snow kills Ygritte by accident in defence of the siege of Castle Black which will happen in season 4. He is later stabbed repeatedly by his own men in a Dance with Dragons. Since it happens at the very end of the book, and no resolution is given, nobody knows whether he lives or dies. That's a season 8 thing.

J Tyran said:
I was disappointed with the assault on Yunkai, it had a good moment with Daario, Grey Worm and Ser Jorah but it could have been more.
It's even more boring in the books. Strong Belwas goes one on one with Yunkai's finest warrior, wins and then takes a dump on the defeated person. It's kind of funny, but barely any fighting happens.

I haven't watched it yet, but I was certainly disturbed at the scene in the books. The Freys can all burn in a big hole for me.

Still, series-only fans can look forward to many more "OMG WTF" moments. Based on where the story is in the series, and what happens in the books after this time, there is going to be at least two major moments.

One of the crazier fan conspiracies was that in his dying moments, Robb warged inadvertently to the Frey that Catelyn killed in response to Robb being killed. So the great irony was that Cat killed her own son. Of course completely unproved, but interesting.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Spacemonkey430 said:
Am I the only one who was most shook up over the death of Grey Wind?
You're probably one of the few. Sure, it was a punch to the gut but we hadn't seen him all that much since he grew up. I don't know if you read the books but in my opinion, it's a shame they didn't portray his going out with a bang as he did in ASoS.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
Silvanus said:
Baron_Rouge said:
And I suppose there's still the Blackfish. We didn't actually see him die, and he was out of the room at the time. If he somehow survived, I hope dearly his vengeance will be terrible to behold.]
The Blackfish was not killed at the Twins (in fact, in the book, he doesn't attend the wedding). He returns to Riverrun. Riverrun and Raventree Hall both remain in rebellion (as well as, of course, Dragonstone and Storm's End, both controlled by Stannis).
Yeah, I thought as much. Thanks for that :)

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
ThreeKneeNick said:
I was really curious about whether people who have not read the books anticipated this. There is actually quite a bit of foreshadowing, they kept repeating Catelyn's doubts in every 'previously on GoT' segment....
Didn't really expect it and was incredibly surprised. I figured that they were going through the wedding and being all nice and ignoring the betrayal because they were so desperate for a marriage. As soon as the doors got closed and the music shifted, I thought to myself "Something bad is going to happen" I still totally did not expect them ALL to be murdered. Incredibly brutal and suprising scene, very well done.

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
Am I the only one who saw it coming? There was so much foreshadowing. The storm (pathetic fallacy), the ravens chilling on the red leaved trees (typically associated with the Starks). The Hound's line about how the closer Arya gets to her family, the more she fears they'll disappear. Did you really think Walder Frey would forgive the Starks? It seemed too good to be true when he was all like "alright, let' forget about everything and have a good time".