Game of Thrones: Filler Thriller

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
jurnag12 said:
GRRM has already given the guys that write Game of Thrones a detailed outline of the plot of the remaining books, exactly due to the reasons that he's slow as shit at writing them and them being unwilling to actually wait for him to catch up to the series.
Man. I wish this'd happen with Berserk. :|

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I always wondered what was so great about those lemoncakes. Maybe we can find out and *gasp* make the cakes ourselves!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh god, don't even bring up Dirk the fookin' legend. For a series that prides itself on having a lack of proper villains because everyone has more than one character trait to them Dirk was such a poorly done character, even more so than some of the characters in the show (see; Oberyn, Joffery, Shae)

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
There's also the all important filler episodes of minor characters doing something completely irrelevant.
At that moment, I couldn't help but to imagine a musical episode about Varys wanting to find love.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Filler is the one thing that ISN'T going to happen (as hillarious as it would be), simply because it's too expensive to make the damn things. Unlike Naruto, this isn't some mid-tier mass-market anime; this is one of the most expensive HBO projects to date. Hell, the second season was debatable (for a while) despite the solid success of the first one simply because it cost so much to make.

What is most likely is that the show will go on a hiatus. Martin did give his notes to the makers of the show, but that was as a contingency for his death (Martin not being particularly young at this point). I doubt he'd let them use the notes to essentially spoil his book(s) ahead of time. And a hiatus would be a pretty bad thing, as key actors might float away to other projects and need to be recast.

That being said, it might not come to that. The current season is mostly the second half of Book 3, with some snippets from Book 4. They'll be able to squeeze at least 3 season out of books 4 and 5, maybe even 4 seasons. Martin's next book will be coming in the next year or two and will be "milkable" for a season or two. This'll leave him 3-4 years to get the last book out, which he might be able to if he stopped faffing about so much on side projects (he himself admitted that he was procrastinating the whole thing).

And personally, I can't wait for the Mass Effect 3-level of disappointment that the ending of the series will cause, because at this point GoT/ASoIaF is so big nothing will live up to the hype... :D

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Absolutely forgot the obligatory musical episode complete with the entire cast dead and alive at that point (zombies must sing too) having minor parts or singing harmony, the flashback episode (aka clip show), and of course the long expository speech episode preceding some major battle or killing blow (actually that could fill multiple episodes between books considering the amount of characters killed by GRRM).

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
I know! An episode where a select few characters end up in the "future" and meet future counterparts of people they know who they have to help in order to return home.
Either that or they end up in an alternate universe.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Jandau said:
Filler is the one thing that ISN'T going to happen (as hillarious as it would be), simply because it's too expensive to make the damn things. Unlike Naruto, this isn't some mid-tier mass-market anime; this is one of the most expensive HBO projects to date. Hell, the second season was debatable (for a while) despite the solid success of the first one simply because it cost so much to make.

What is most likely is that the show will go on a hiatus. Martin did give his notes to the makers of the show, but that was as a contingency for his death (Martin not being particularly young at this point). I doubt he'd let them use the notes to essentially spoil his book(s) ahead of time. And a hiatus would be a pretty bad thing, as key actors might float away to other projects and need to be recast.

That being said, it might not come to that. The current season is mostly the second half of Book 3, with some snippets from Book 4. They'll be able to squeeze at least 3 season out of books 4 and 5, maybe even 4 seasons. Martin's next book will be coming in the next year or two and will be "milkable" for a season or two. This'll leave him 3-4 years to get the last book out, which he might be able to if he stopped faffing about so much on side projects (he himself admitted that he was procrastinating the whole thing).

And personally, I can't wait for the Mass Effect 3-level of disappointment that the ending of the series will cause, because at this point GoT/ASoIaF is so big nothing will live up to the hype... :D
Endings don't have to be the best thing ever since orgasms. They just have to not suck as much as Mass Effect 3s ending did.
Remember Harry Potter. That one was as huge as A song of ice and fire, maybe bigger, and i can't remember any riots breaking out about the ending.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Amaror said:
Jandau said:

Endings don't have to be the best thing ever since orgasms. They just have to not suck as much as Mass Effect 3s ending did.
Remember Harry Potter. That one was as huge as A song of ice and fire, maybe bigger, and i can't remember any riots breaking out about the ending.
True, but HP had a much more straightforward and archetypal plot, while GoT is all about twists, convoluted schemes and chopping heads off expected character tropes. As a result, people will be expecting something truly amazing for the ending. The ending to HP was more or less predictable. I don't mean that in a bad way, but you pretty much knew who was going to win, who was going to lose, who might die and who had plot armour. Sure, there might be a degree of surprise about the specifics, but if you were even a bit genre savvy, you knew. Again, that isn't a bad thing.

GoT, on the other hand, is all about subverting expectations, so the task set before Martin when it comes to wrapping the story up is massively more difficult than what was put before Rowling. And everything I've seen over the three decades of life regarding fandoms and such tells me there's a shitstorm brewin' there... ;)

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
jurnag12 said:
GRRM has already given the guys that write Game of Thrones a detailed outline of the plot of the remaining books, exactly due to the reasons that he's slow as shit at writing them and them being unwilling to actually wait for him to catch up to the series.
Where did you get this from?
I know he gave them the rough points so they can finish the show in the likely case of his demise from the abuse of drugs and whores prompted by his new found fame.
I don't think they plan to overtake the books, in fact there was talk of pulling a Spartacus and making a prequel season to buy him time. Dunk and Egg specifically, which IMO would work great.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Jandau said:
Amaror said:
Jandau said:

True, but HP had a much more straightforward and archetypal plot, while GoT is all about twists, convoluted schemes and chopping heads off expected character tropes. As a result, people will be expecting something truly amazing for the ending. The ending to HP was more or less predictable. I don't mean that in a bad way, but you pretty much knew who was going to win, who was going to lose, who might die and who had plot armour. Sure, there might be a degree of surprise about the specifics, but if you were even a bit genre savvy, you knew. Again, that isn't a bad thing.

GoT, on the other hand, is all about subverting expectations, so the task set before Martin when it comes to wrapping the story up is massively more difficult than what was put before Rowling. And everything I've seen over the three decades of life regarding fandoms and such tells me there's a shitstorm brewin' there... ;)
Do you think there's no such predictions towards the end of GoT? Because i am quite sure that everyone is expecting the White Walkers to loose and the Fire to win. It would be a big surprise if it was the fire in the form of the red witch, instead of daenerys on her 3 dragons with 2 other riders like everyones expecting, but the overall outcome is quite clear.
And it might not be clear who does or doesn't die, but overall the ending isn't so in the clouds as you make it out to be.
But that's the thing about A Song of Ice and Fire. The overarching Plot is more or less a typical fantasy plot. Baddies threatening to kill all life and they won't succeed in the end. But this typical Plot allows so much variation and twists, because everyone of those twists in variation happens in this middle part of the story.
And those parts will be very open for the ending allowing a lot of surprises, like who sits the iron throne, who survives towards the end and so on. But the overarching plot will most likely end quite typical, and not like that plotholey mess the Mass Effect writers thought of for the end.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Jandau said:
Actually GoT uses a different type of filler, the 'hey don't forget I exist!' character arc. See: Yara's pointless failed rescue of Theon. All that build up at the end of last season, and you get one 10 minute scene halfway through this season and that will probably be it for her.

I'm guessing we'll get more stuff on the iron born next season. So last weeks rescue attempt was there to keep them somewhat relevant.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
OK, the funniest parts were all those Related To Tags on the bottom. I wonder how many these guys made and never used again. Do they hate ALL anime, or just Naruto and Evangelion?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Amaror said:
Jandau said:
Amaror said:
Jandau said:

Do you think there's no such predictions towards the end of GoT? Because i am quite sure that everyone is expecting the White Walkers to loose and the Fire to win. It would be a big surprise if it was the fire in the form of the red witch, instead of daenerys on her 3 dragons with 2 other riders like everyones expecting, but the overall outcome is quite clear.
And it might not be clear who does or doesn't die, but overall the ending isn't so in the clouds as you make it out to be.
But that's the thing about A Song of Ice and Fire. The overarching Plot is more or less a typical fantasy plot. Baddies threatening to kill all life and they won't succeed in the end. But this typical Plot allows so much variation and twists, because everyone of those twists in variation happens in this middle part of the story.
And those parts will be very open for the ending allowing a lot of surprises, like who sits the iron throne, who survives towards the end and so on. But the overarching plot will most likely end quite typical, and not like that plotholey mess the Mass Effect writers thought of for the end.
My ME3 comparison was aimed more at the reaction we'll see than the quality of the actual ending. People are hyping themselves up for years now, there's no way it can live up to the expectations. Such self-inflicted hype never does. And that's before we get into my personal opinion that Martin's bitten off more than he can chew with the series.

And yes, the framing plot for GoT is standard fantasy fare. But as you yourself said, it's secondary to the main meat. And that meat is what separates GoT from "standard" fantasy and what got it the levels of popularity it has reached, both in the show form and in book form.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Ten or fifteen years down the line, I'll bet everything I own someone's going to reboot Game of Thrones as a Saturday Morning Cartoon or tween blockbuster ala Hunger Games. Hunger Game of Thrones, they could call it. No sex, nudity, whoring, incest, rape, mutilation, cannibalism, or weddings; just young Tyrion Lannister palling around Westeros with his brother Jaime and their BFFs Robb Stark, Daenerys Targaryen, and Gregor Clegane, to defeat the Mad King Tywin Lannister and his force of ice zombies and put the rightful queen on the throne.

Actually, I would watch a show with just Tyrion and Jaime. Jaime is such a great character, full of conflicts and twisted morality - if he wasn't sticking it in his sister and pushing ten year olds out of windows he's be the star of the show.