Game of Thrones Finale Pirates Rack Up 1.5 Million Downloads In Half A Day

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Game of Thrones Finale Pirates Rack Up 1.5 Million Downloads In Half A Day

254,114 people shared the same torrent at the same time.

Game of Thrones fans flocked to the show setting all the records [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/tvrecaps/gameofthrones/11740-Game-of-Thrones-Season-Finale-Review-Sitting-on-the-Throne] this year.

Unless some kind of pirate miracle happens, Game of Thrones will retain its title as the most pirated television show of the year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130859-Game-of-Thrones-is-Most-Pirated-TV-Show-For-Second-Year]. That'd make it a three-time winner of that not so coveted crown.

When asked which scene he was most worried about shooting, finale director Alex Graves said [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-season-5-goes-712195], "All of them. The finale was such a powerhouse on a scene-by-scene basis ..." [And yes, that link be full of spoilers, so consider yourself warned.] The audience - pirate or otherwise - would seem to agree with him.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/game-thrones-season-finale-sets-piracy-record-140616/]

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Piracy is increasing year by year, simply because more people are technologically literate, more developing world people are getting new internet accesses, and downloading speeds are getting quicker for them.

This is not the downfall of willingness to pay for creativity, or the rise of an entitlement generation, but simply the inevitable result of the spreading of a system where all people are capable of communicating large amounts of data with each other.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Well, in Australia, it's about the only way to actually watch the damn thing. We try and go to HBO or get the episode directly - region locked. It's not on TV. Netflix? lolnope. You can't buy episodes on iTunes anymore.

Gee, I wonder why I downloaded GoT. Maybe if there was an actual easy way to access it without buying a whole bloody foxtel package.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Lil_Rimmy said:
Maybe if there was an actual easy way to access it without buying a whole bloody foxtel package.
Foxtel is a monopoly, which is technically illegal. So therefore, there is no legal way to view it in Australia. At least until the dvd is released. But how can you wait 6 months when there are spoilers being posted as the episode airs?

I bet most of them were from Australia.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
008Zulu said:
Lil_Rimmy said:
Maybe if there was an actual easy way to access it without buying a whole bloody foxtel package.
Foxtel is a monopoly, which is technically illegal. So therefore, there is no legal way to view it in Australia. At least until the dvd is released. But how can you wait 6 months when there are spoilers being posted as the episode airs?

I bet most of them were from Australia.
More over the point, I wouldn't even watch Game of Thrones if I had to wait 6 months, because by the end of it simply by being on the internet/hanging out with friends I would have had most of the major plot points etc. spoiled. It's not others fault, of course, it would be my lack of access.

Hell, if they released a video of GoT on their website with ads, or even like Blip TV with ads every 10 minutes or whatnot, I would LOVE to watch it there. Unfortunately, there is not official way to just access Game of Thrones in Australia.

It's slightly more than a flaming pain in the ass, and there was even a news segment tonight about it, with a Foxtel guy explaining "Well, people pirate things anyway so lack of accessibility isn't an issue."

THERE IS NO MIDDLE FINGER BIG ENOUGH!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The funniest part is that Foxtel has no idea why. Here it is, guys, plain and simple: If a pirate gets better service and/or a better product with Australia's internet, your business strategy is probably to blame.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I manages to avoid GoT spoilers, and don't pirate the show. Or watch it at all, though.

But, eh, 6 months?

Some shows are shown in the rest of the world a full year or two before being shown in Australia. Which includes shows filmed in Australia. Some of them purely by Australian companies with Australian actors with stories set in Australia.

I can understand co-productions with the BBC (like the K9 series) being shown in Britain first, but not H2O: Just Add Water or Mako Mermaids, which is just Channel 10.

Now, not really that upset or anything, but 6 months for a foreign show to make it to Australia doesn't seem that big a deal.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Lil_Rimmy said:
Well, in Australia, it's about the only way to actually watch the damn thing. We try and go to HBO or get the episode directly - region locked. It's not on TV. Netflix? lolnope. You can't buy episodes on iTunes anymore.

Gee, I wonder why I downloaded GoT. Maybe if there was an actual easy way to access it without buying a whole bloody foxtel package.
Something like this I'm assuming? :)
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I only went back to watching Game of Thrones this year since the piece of shit cable companies/company decided to re-add the channel to the "regular" list, after they realized that no one was willing to pay for the channel on its own, made worse by the fact that they removed it in the first place to get more money out of it.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Alterego-X said:
Piracy is increasing year by year, simply because more people are technologically literate, more developing world people are getting new internet accesses, and downloading speeds are getting quicker for them.

This is not the downfall of willingness to pay for creativity, or the rise of an entitlement generation, but simply the inevitable result of the spreading of a system where all people are capable of communicating large amounts of data with each other.
This, so true.

Back when computers and code was this mystical thing that only a select few could even begin to understand, things were quite different. Now, as more people actually understand this technology it's only natural that things gets shared like this.
It's not much anyone can really do about it, as the know how is out there and spreading. A lot of these pirates are actually doing a better job than the ones that are supposed to offer this service.

Don't want people to pirate? Don't give them a reason to, it is that simple.

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
This just shows you how out of touch TV stations are. HBO seems to want to sell some kind of a subscription to people, while almost everyone just wants to watch Game of Thrones and... nothing else! Allow people to pay-per-view game of thrones for a fraction of the subscription costs in HD, and at least some of this piracy will go away.

Apr 5, 2008
Alterego-X said:

I couldn't agree more. As more and more things go digital, Net speeds increase and access to it becomes more common, piracy will inevitably go up.

For my part, I would love to see a system whereby I can pay someone money and buy access to a show, in HD, immediately after broadcast to watch at my convenience as often as I choose forever after, wherever I choose and on whatever device I choose, without ads. I would pay money for this privilege but such a system simply doesn't exist for the scant few shows I do watch.

That's the thing with piracy of TV shows...it offers all the convenience without any of the drawbacks. Steam revolutionised PC gaming and piracy by being a legitimate, easy to use service as easy, or easier to use than piracy. I can buy and install any game on Steam onto my PC with a handful of mouse clicks, at any time, on any PC, anywhere in the world. Why isn't there a TV/movie version of that?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
By the gods, who will stop captain kenway?

Then again, he just got elite armor, most of his weapons are one step below elite, and he's figured out how to take over schooners with the swivel cannon.

There's no stopping the scourge of the seven seas who also hunts sharks while shirtless.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
The funniest part is that Foxtel has no idea why. Here it is, guys, plain and simple: If a pirate gets better service and/or a better product with Australia's internet, your business strategy is probably to blame.
Even our consumer watchdogs think its Foxtel's fault:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/foxtel-to-blame-for-game-of-thrones-piracy-says-choice-20140618-zsbav.html [http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/foxtel-to-blame-for-game-of-thrones-piracy-says-choice-20140618-zsbav.html]

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
That's alot of people, for a pretty mundane series Finale. GOT finales never live up to the hype i feel.