Game of Thrones Season 5 "Nude Scene" Shooting Snag Resolved

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Game of Thrones Season 5 "Nude Scene" Shooting Snag Resolved

One important nude scene from A Dance With Dragons appearing in Season 5 of Game of Thrones has now been resolved, according to HBO.

If there's one thing HBO's Game of Thrones [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/game%20of%20thrones] TV show is not afraid of, it's showing nudity on-screen. From the series' debut, and up to the most recent episode, there's usually a scene or two where someone's naked. However, there is one particular nude scene which has caused a little bit of grief for HBO. In A Dance With Dragons, an important public nude scene takes place that involves a major character and is set to appear in Game of Thrones' fifth season. Unfortunately, though, the local church in Dubrovnik, Croatia, has policies against "public displays of sexuality," which prevented the scene from being filmed. HBO's solution? Shoot in a new location. This was revealed by show producers during the HBO Emmy party earlier this week. According to the unnamed producers, this snag is "old news" and that a new location for the scene has already been secured.

For spoiler reasons, I'm not going to disclose who this major character is and why he/she strips down in public. If you don't read the books, or have yet to read about this particular scene, I'd advise against searching for it on the internet since it is a primary plot point and best to be experienced fresh.

Speaking of nudity, A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin claims there's a "big change" coming to the character in Season 5. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136831-George-R-R-Martin-Women-Requests-for-Male-Love-Scenes-in-Game-of-Thrones]

Source: Winter is Coming [http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/27/mark-gatiss-season-5-thrones/?hootPostID=fc284e0dd7f7d63b1d9ba706d89104b6]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ah, thats nice.

I would have flipped my shit if [REDACTED] didnt get whats coming to them.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I am wondering how they were going to do this because the actress in question has many tattoo's, they are going to have to use a fuck ton of make up, skin colour coverings or even CGI to pull this off, even without location troubles.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
gigastar said:
Ah, thats nice.

Actually, if I remember/speculate correctly, the scene transforms [REDACTED] into one of the most empathetic characters I've seen in a work of fiction. Then again, a lot of the magic worked in the book only worked because it was a book, and therefore had an omniscient narrator to work with.

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
Angelous Wang said:
I am wondering how they were going to do this because the actress in question has many tattoo's, they are going to have to use a fuck ton of make up, skin colour coverings or even CGI to pull this off, even without location troubles.
I'm pretty sure these have been covered up for many of her dresses throughout the show. I highly doubt it's much of a cosmetic problem for the industry.

deathbydeath said:
gigastar said:
Ah, thats nice.

Actually, if I remember/speculate correctly, the scene transforms [REDACTED] into one of the most empathetic characters I've seen in a work of fiction. Then again, a lot of the magic worked in the book only worked because it was a book, and therefore had an omniscient narrator to work with.
It's interesting to speculate what Martin will do with the character. She's hit a dead end, but death would be anti-climactic.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Didn't even hear that there was an issue to begin with. Mint. I guess this confirms that the scene will actually happen in the TV show, which was surprising considering what the character has been doing so far.

So according to the bottom remark, the books are going to have gay dudes and the TV series is going to get a topless Sansa? Fine by me.

gigastar said:
Ah, thats nice.

I see what you did there.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
deathbydeath said:
gigastar said:
Ah, thats nice.

True, but this event is also the culmination of [REDACTED]'s actions up to that point coming back to bite them in the ass.

And anyway, we only know the immediate effects it had on [REDACTED], since its basically thier climax scene in the book. And only George and his editor knows if theyre going to actually change as a person at all because of it.

Which seems unlikely because...
of "Robert Strong" being delivered to Cersei afterwards to assist her in clawing back the power and authority she had since Tywin's death.

M Silverthorn

Nov 9, 2008
Took me a bit to recall *which* "Nude scene" this was.
Yeaaaah, that's kind of a big one.

I suppose it's only natural that they'll have a LOT of focus on
's naked butt while [THAT PERSON] is [NOPE] through the middle of [NUH UH] for all to see. Especially after the situation with [GET YOUR OWN] is resolved very badly, and the other [READ THE BOOK, DAMMIT] that quickly follow.

Seriously. Read a book, people. Then I wouldn't have to censor every detail.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Angelous Wang said:
I don't watch the show or read the books but if I recall via my "oh god why do I do this to myself wiki binging" isn't it Cersi (jofferys mum) that gets paraded through the town naked? if so I find it kind of funny the actress has lots of tats...not sure why, I don't think of actors (particually actresses) have lots of tats in general

M Silverthorn said:
what page in what book does it take place? I want to read it now just out of morbid curiosity

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
deathbydeath said:
gigastar said:
Ah, thats nice.

The books don't have an omniscient narrator...

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Vault101 said:
Angelous Wang said:
I don't watch the show or read the books but if I recall via my "oh god why do I do this to myself wiki binging" isn't it Cersi (jofferys mum) that gets paraded through the town naked? if so I find it kind of funny the actress has lots of tats...not sure why, I don't think of actors (particually actresses) have lots of tats in general

M Silverthorn said:
what page in what book does it take place? I want to read it now just out of morbid curiosity
Skimming through A Dance With Dragons made me realize just how much I've forgotten about this story...

That said, the chapter in question is near the end. In my copy it goes from pages 848 to 859... but that's in a 3 year old hardcopy... definitely not the same page as in a paperback. It is the last chapter titled... for the character in question... though the epilogue is also about her.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
-Sausages.... Sausages everywhere woody.
-Dont forget the boobs Buzz
http://officialvghc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ScreenHunter_240-Aug.-29-20.32.jpg

I just love how Game of Thrones fans are so religious about spoilers, i'm sure ill be able to read the books without much spoilers, but first i have to finish The Dark Tower and The Wheel of Time (and god knows i never read LOTR).

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Thing is I wouldn't be surprised if there is a SJW shitstorm after this airs, maybe I'm being pessimistic but this is the kind of thing that stirs them into a frenzy.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
J Tyran said:
Thing is I wouldn't be surprised if there is a SJW shitstorm after this airs, maybe I'm being pessimistic but this is the kind of thing that stirs them into a frenzy.
weeell...

[spoiler/]the main reason the scene came under controversy last time was because it was made rapey when it wasn't in the books....[/spoiler]

SexyGarfield

Mar 12, 2013
I was wondering if they were going to do that scene because they have hardly, if at all, touched on the radicalization going on in kings landing with the faith of the seven. In general I'd like to see more content on religion in Westeros and the lands to the east other than R'hllor almost exclusively through the lens of the Red Priestesses.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Vault101 said:
J Tyran said:
weeell...

[spoiler/]the main reason the scene came under controversy last time was because it was made rapey when it wasn't in the books....[/spoiler]
That scene did get mangled for no real reason, it might have worked if there had been more to it but yeah this scene? Even playing out exactly as it does in the books might cause a shitstorm, a women getting shorn and shaved and then paraded naked through crowded city streets getting humiliated, subject to sexual harassment and having missiles thrown at her? You honestly think thats going to go down well?

Feb 28, 2008
More interesting to me is that this confirms that Season 5 will put AFFC and ADWD together. Hopefully that will redeem the sub-standard pacing and narrative of AFFC.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I'm surprised there anywhere near filming it (though I haven't seen season 4 yet). Its nearly the last thing that happens in DoD and I would have thought they would have been stalling for time. I guess maybe its just the location/logistics guys getting things set up ahead of time.

deathbydeath said:
Yes what happens is horrible and she obviously suffered in the moment, but ultimately I did think she retained any sympathy for long, that is to say I don't think she will have changed in any way and considering what she had done and the sorts of things that happen to other people in the book, well...I dunno. It will indeed be interesting to see what happens next.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
deathbydeath said:
gigastar said:
Ah, thats nice.

Empathetic characters? Individual that you project your own sensibilities into?

I'd be shocked and amazed if this individual is ever one I can do that. I have instead empathized with nearly any character they have harmed. I view that individual in much the same way I view a snake though now with far less venom. They're a particularly vile creature whom I have personally enjoyed seeing robbed by the author.

That is, assuming I know who it is.