Game of Thrones Season 5 - Wars Past And Wars To Come

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Ah, I was hoping this was going to be a screener review...

Shoutout to his Grace, Stannis Baratheon, though.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Thought it was going to be a review of the first episode as well. But hey, I went to a screener myself so no problems with that! Spoiler, Tyrion was in it. And Cercei.

Hah, ruined it for everyone. I'm so cool.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am actually intrigued to see how divergent the source and the series become. Of course, that is dependent on Martin finishing the books. Pratchett finished the Discworld series, 70 books in his 60 years. Of course it wasn't from birth, so that's a book or two every year. Martin goes decades between releases of a single book. Don't know what excuse he could offer for such tardiness. I still maintain he will quit the series.

I think Stannis will come out on top, maybe. Daeny has Dragons, but Wargs can control beasts. Interesting conundrum.

Jan 12, 2012
McElroy said:
Thought it was going to be a review of the first episode as well. But hey, I went to a screener myself so no problems with that! Spoiler, Tyrion was in it. And Cercei.

Hah, ruined it for everyone. I'm so cool.
Damn it! The next time you think about going off on how the show has characters, keep your mouth shut; some of us like the surprise.

OT: They keep saying that they're going to catch everything up entirely and push in new directions, but I don't see how they can do it. For Tyrion alone,
His time with Illyrio is the main plot of at least one episode to give proper weight to the murder of his father. Then there's the Shy Maid voyage, Penny and Jorah, the enslavement and eventual escape, and getting to the Second Sons. That's a great and complex storyline, suitable for a series all it's own; I have no idea how they plan to bring everything together without cutting out half of it, rushing the rest and giving much less of an emotional payoff.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Live commenting begins in just a minute!
Consider this post the wall beyond which spoilers reside.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
So they're just having Tywin's funeral but Tyrion has an impressive beard that's appeared?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
"The future is shit, just like the past"

I sincerely hope that makes it to the DVD box of this season.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Hmmm. If brienne is meeting Lady Stoneheart later, I wonder if she'll mention Arya.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Oh for god's sakes. I like the show, but one thing the books are superior in is having the world be big enough that everyone doesn't stumble past each other all he time. And when it does there It's rare enough to be memorable

But now Arya almost makes it to the vale. Sansa gets to spitting distance of brienne. Sigh.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
This is a side of Margery we haven't quite seen... More overtly manipulative and frustrated with her guard down. It works though.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Very solid opening, if a bit slower compared to the wars the occurred. I expect that will change very soon though.... We'll see next week. Full review will be up soon.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
You could have edited/added to your post instead of making a new one every time you thought of a sentence.

Jan 12, 2012
American Fox said:
You could have edited/added to your post instead of making a new one every time you thought of a sentence.
I suppose this way you could match time stamps to try and figure out what specifically Marshall is talking about, but it does seem kinda clunky.

OT: My day-old prophecy is coming true; I'm starting to feel the compression of storylines already.
Varys is sending Tyrion right off to go meet Dany, though hopefully that's a ruse to get him on the boat with Young Grif. I'm disappointed that they cut out Illyrio, though; it gave weight to the idea of a cabal of people working for the betterment of the world. Instead Varys seems quixotic instead of manipulative. His scene with Tyrion was nice, though.
I also agree that the thing with Brienne and Sansa was stupid. It's getting into Star Wars prequel territory, where everyone is rubbing shoulders with each other and miraculous chance meetings are instead commonplace. For a show that did a good job of making crossing the Kingdoms feel like a big deal in the previous seasons, it's a noticeable slip.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Game of Thrones Season 5 - Wars Past And Wars To Come

HBO's Game of Thrones Season 5 is here! The Escapist considers where Westeros stands and where its people are headed.

Read Full Article

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
American Fox said:
I suppose this way you could match time stamps to try and figure out what specifically Marshall is talking about, but it does seem kinda clunky.
Not a good enough excuse.

To everyone: Please don't spam posts. If you want to do live commentating, take it to twitter.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
I'm highly pleased by the amount of nudity in the first episode. Seems like kind of a record for a "normal" TV series this year. Good! Aside of the obvious æsthetic appeal, the more we get of this, the more people get used to the idea of a naked human body to be something natural, as it should be.

Take that, puritanisms of all religions and colour!