Game of Thrones T-Shirt Leads To Suspension Of College Professor

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
Jandau said:
Well, to be fair, he was reinstated and didn't really suffer any consequences. It might seem like a hilarious overreaction, but if the number of school shootings in the US this year listed in the article is anywhere near correct, I can kinda understand educational institutions being a bit "trigger happy" (pardon the pun) when it comes to potential trouble. What I'd like to know is why the hell are people shooting each other in US schools so much? As far as I know this is pretty much endemic to the US, at least as far as first world countries go...

It's because most other 1st world nations restrict the sale of guns to the public unlike America.
In the UK at least if a child snaps then all they can do usually is lash out physically and punch someone or if it gets really serious they might bring in a knife and it's a lot easier to stop a child with a knife...
Also American society promotes violence

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Maybe the dean should be concerned that he thinks he's running things in such a way that someone might want to kill him?

I mean, yeah, I understand that there have been a number of school shootings and people are twitchy. But... Two months after sabbatical was denied, because he posted a picture of his daughter wearing the shirt? That seems like jumping at shadows.

CaptainBill22

Nov 18, 2009
rosac said:
"Quick, we need a reason to sack this guy!"

"He's wearing a shirt with the word "fire" on it, let's appeal to memories of high school massacres and get him sacked"

"What could possibly go wrong?"

This is amazingly stupid. Like reallllly stupid.
But what about the Lego Minifigure gun? That would really solidify their need to sack him.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
rosac said:
"Quick, we need a reason to sack this guy!"

"He's wearing a shirt with the word "fire" on it, let's appeal to memories of high school massacres and get him sacked"

"What could possibly go wrong?"

This is amazingly stupid. Like reallllly stupid.
Hey, that's not how it happened. He wasn't even wearing the T-shirt. It was his daughter while she was doing Yoga. Totally more dangerous.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Jandau said:
Well, to be fair, he was reinstated and didn't really suffer any consequences. It might seem like a hilarious overreaction, but if the number of school shootings in the US this year listed in the article is anywhere near correct, I can kinda understand educational institutions being a bit "trigger happy" (pardon the pun) when it comes to potential trouble. What I'd like to know is why the hell are people shooting each other in US schools so much? As far as I know this is pretty much endemic to the US, at least as far as first world countries go...
It's not. There hasn't been a single instance of what the common man would view as a "school shooting", as in someone walking into school with a gun and indiscriminately shooting anything that moved or the like.

There have been 34 instances of firearm violence on school property, in school buses, or perpetrated against students. Of those, several were actually police shooting someone threatening students or them while on school grounds (one example was a man with a knife who wouldn't go down to repeated tazings), several more were directly gang-related, and the rest seem to be directed violence against particular people the shooter had a grievance with. There has been a grand total of 6 deaths in school-related firearms incidents since 1/1/2014.

Grape_Nuts

Mar 23, 2011
This is complete and utter idiocy. The officials responsible for suspending this man need to resign.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Agayek said:
There have been 34 instances of firearm violence on school property, in school buses, or perpetrated against students. Of those, several were actually police shooting someone threatening students or them while on school grounds (one example was a man with a knife who wouldn't go down to repeated tazings) and there has been all of 6 deaths total in school-related firearms incidents since 1/1/2014.
That is an impressive and concise summary of the quoted statistics. Thank you very much.

SKBPinkie said:
I... How do people who're this idiotic manage to function?
More terrifying still is that these people managed to gain administration positions at a university. So apparently they function quite well when they don't want you to go away.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Wait, so the prison model of schooling (of which, Zero Tolerance is a cornerstone right now) is being used in colleges now? *shudder*

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
"Live by the sword. Die by the sword."

"Han shot first."

"Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them?"

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war."

"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum."

"If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back."

"Make it so."

All suspendable, sackable offenses.

If you ask me, it sounds less like that school board is twitchy about school shootings and more like they just have it in for literature fans and fantasy/sci-fi fans.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Statistically to die in the us guns are far down on the list compared to just about any other measure, prescription drugs, alcohol, vehicles, hospital visits.

The whole guns are a danger and evil garbage is just that hype to convince people they are bad and therefore aok to take those rights away.

Nm that most school shootings happen on no gun zone schools, and the utter idiocy of liberals that actually had the gall to say all they needed was better signs to inform people if the no gun status of these places.

Far as this story goes the minute they called him into the office he should have burst out laughing in their faces i would have at their sheer stupidity.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
A college, overreacting?
That's nothing new.

A college, using underhanded methods to force someone to quit?
That's nothing new.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Callate said:
Maybe the dean should be concerned that he thinks he's running things in such a way that someone might want to kill him?

I mean, yeah, I understand that there have been a number of school shootings and people are twitchy. But... Two months after sabbatical was denied, because he posted a picture of his daughter wearing the shirt? That seems like jumping at shadows.
This is no laughing matter. Pictures of daughters wearing T-shirts were responsible for 50% of all violent crime last year. Clearly we must act now to end this tyranny of clothes.

Contact your senator today to vote yes on the Khaleesi Bill of Fashion Rights!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Lets buy this man a shirt. Might I suggest
Captcha: Better with Lunch. Oh the irony!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Jandau said:
Two reasons.

1. Lack of helping out others with mental health. We think those who have any mental disability should be treated like a leper(unless a celebrity has the disability then they dedicate a whole month to raising awareness for it).

2. Bullying, we victim blame those who get hurt by this. Schools have a "it didn't happen if I didn't see it" mentality. Or if they do, they punish the child who was being beaten.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Johnson McGee said:
So, does the dean spend his spare time going around the school painting over the 'fire' on the fire alarms and replacing it with 'combustion'?
This quote and your avatar have just experienced the most epic form of synchronicity I could imagine. Just sayin'. :-D

Vigormortis said:
"Han shot first."
They probably call out SWAT if the t-shirt has a picture on it of Han Solo with a gun.

OT: The college should be ashamed of themselves for being so ridiculous. Of course, they're probably all "Well, I was doing what I had to do...won'tsomebodythinkofthechildren???" *runs off screaming into the faculty lounge*

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Schmidt said one official told him that "when you see the word 'fire,' then someone shows up with an AK-47 here shooting everybody" as a not-terribly-coherent explanation for his suspension, and the college defended it as standard procedure. "Since Jan 1, 2014, 34 incidents of school shootings have occurred in the United States," spokesman Larry Hlavenka told NorthJersey.com. "In following its safety and security procedures, the college investigates all situations where a member of its community - students, faculty, staff or local residents - expresses a safety or security concern."
It was over the word fire!?

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
The rampant paranoia in American schools seems to be reaching a bit of a breaking point. I'm fairly certain that none of the shooters in the recent shootings showed up at the schools ahead of time with any sort of indication that they were planning to shoot up the place in future. The only reason these silly precautions exist now to placate the squalling masses that demand safety for the children, even when they have none of their own and nothing better to do.

Rtoip

Jan 15, 2011
Wait a minute, so they sent a faculty member of the university to a psychiatrist, because they thought that a quote form a popular tv show an a shirt that his daughter wore on a picture he posted was a direct threat ?

Seems legit

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
What this country really needs is the Khaleesi, to clear out all the reactionary deadwood from bygone centuries. Basically anyone who is in a major political party or religion. Really. Soylent green time. And as for school shootings, maybe a personal defamation suit would show that a team of lawyers can be a far greater threat than any assault rifle.