Game or series you just can't play anymore

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
will1182 said:
Oblivion. Fallout improved on it in so many ways, it just streamlined the experience. I couldn't go back to Oblivion, it feels archaic now.
I just started Morrowind...

So what you said only with that instead of Oblivion.

The combat in Morrowind is so bad it's comedic.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
PS2/GCN/Xbox/Dreamcast generation, its not old enough to be "retro" and I can get the same graphics/gameplay from the PSP.

Dr Faust

Dec 9, 2007
TheAbominableDan said:
SendMeNoodz84 said:
TheAbominableDan said:
Final Fantasy. I can still play the old ones. I still love the old ones. Although I've never gone back to Final Fantasy VII. But Anything after IX I've just disregarded.
DUDE, do yourself a favor and attempt to get into FFX again.

That game is amazing.
Can't do it, tried it a few times. Absolutely hated it.
This happened to me a long time ago. I got ten, beat it, and never went back to Final Fantasy. I could never muster the effort to care about FFXI or XII or whatever they're up to now. When I go back to the older FF games, I end up ragequitting because of the random battles. Not for the difficulty, but for the annoyance.

"What's over there?" step step st-BATTLE MUSIC "Dammit..." spam attack til everything dies fanfare victory animation results screen two steps repeat repeat repeat open chest get potion die a little inside repeat repeat repeat BOSS FIGHT!

I also had to stop playing Zelda games. As soon as I realize the game is going to teach me how to swing a sword AGAIN, I sigh, and find something better to do. I know it's petty, but I've been playing Zelda for 15 years now, and I don't need an hour long tutorial to prove I'm worthy of a sword. And stop trying to make me care about characters by shoving them in my face all the time. And I REALLY don't need some floating pointer to interrupt me every five seconds to point out suspicious things and explain how to solve the puzzle with "subtle" color coded guides. Light the torch, open door--I GET IT GODDAMN IT!

I used to play the Mega Man Battle Network games, but Capcom decided to not change anything about it for five years, and make me start my deck over in each game. The story in each game is almost exactly the same, and for some reason you have to discover the power of friendship EVERY GODDAMN WEEK. You know, I checked out one of the Starforce games, and they were still using that format where dialog boxes only show two lines of text on the screen at a time, and all item names were capped to something like seven characters. It's 2009 dammit, I shouldn't have to pick up "RdrMisil1" and "LrgEnrgy" because you're too lazy to get in the 21st fucking century.

/rant

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Final Fantasy 10 and 12, because I can't find them and my god damned PS2 doesn't work anymore! Damn it I want to play those games!

C117

Aug 14, 2009
World of Warcraft. It was fun, until my friends that invited me (and thus could give me triple-experience) got banned, and my other friends just stopped playing. Then it was just boring.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
GTA: Vice City, although I can still quote the radio stations off by heart. I guess it's just that GTA: San Andreas just topped it on so many levels - more open world, more characters, more outfits, and the truly awesome Turf Wars!

And Final Fantasy VIII. Partly because the junction system hates you at the beginning of the game, partly because knowing the whole story kind of ruins the mystery, and partly because the disk is scratched.

What else? Um...Oh, pretty much any MMORPG or MUD. Yeah, I just can't go near those at any time in my life when I actually want to...you know...accomplish stuff.

I think the first game that I can remember totally fucking me over to the point where I couldn't continue playing it anymore was Sim Tower when I was about 10. I played that so much for few months, but all I can remember is that it just got to this point in the game where it would hit the 'fuck you' button and all the people who'd bought your condos and offices would just bugger off for no reason.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Spyro. after Year of The Dragon, he dumped into the deepest interiors of shittyness.

Dawn of War. after the stinking catastrophe Dawn of War 2, i lost hope in the franchise.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
I want to go finish deadspace, but I can't seem to muster the effort to go play it. I'll play everything else, but I can't seem to force myself to play that one.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
I can't play morrowind now that i played Oblivion. The combat is better, the areas are prettier, and ohhh.. *shivers* The walking animation in Morrowind is horrible!

Xavia

Mar 19, 2009
The big one for me is Halo; I absolutely loved Halo 2 but when Halo 3 came around something was just off. (I think it was the the fact Big Team Battle was un-ranked and only 6v6)And after that I could never play another halo game the same way again :(

StrangerShteve

Oct 16, 2009
Oblivion. I soo want to play it more, but every time i really get into it and spend some hours on it, it Red Rings my 360 (gone through 2 now). It's just too much game..

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Viva Piñata. My mom likes to watch me play it, but now I can't stand it at all. I get
gag-reflexes as soon as I see the menu.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Animal Crossing - they've released the same game too many times.
Grand Theft Auto - arriving in a new city with so much to do is just too daunting.
God of War - run and hit, run and hit, run and hit.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Guild Wars. It seemed that most of the players were just dancing or doing random things at towns. The game didn't encourage the players to play with other players, so I always played it with NPC's (of course I played with other players when I had to) They weren't good, but they did as I ordered them, they weren't absolute n00bs and weren't annoying bastards.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
floppylobster said:
Animal Crossing - they've released the same game too many times.
No, they've released worse games too many times. The original was a blast. Wild World had worse music, and for everything they added, they took something away. City Folk is Wild World with a city and for Wii.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Any Nintendo brand for obvious reasons.
Tenchu, as the AI doesn't seem to have gotten any smarter since the 3rd installment.
Silent Hill, since the third game it's gone downhill.

apsham said:
For me it's a genre, as I really want to get into fighting games.. but it just seems that it never lasts for me. The problem is... I just can't learn the combos and button combinations that I need to play past the "Easy" level.
I would suggest Dead or Alive 2 or 3. It's possible to enjoy that game without learning any badass combos, yet you can still be very skillful. It's more about timing.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
Stealth games in general. I just don't have the patience anymore, and just start trying to kill everyone. At one point I'd made my way half way through the CIA HQ level in Splinter Cell 1, but now I can't finish the first level.

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
The resident evil games, I use to adore them but now I just can't be arsed with them anymore and that includes resident evil 4 and 5.