Game People Calling: Alan Wake, the People Have Spoken

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
I like Alan Wake, but the story kind of got confusing, it wasn't scary at all, and a certain book page found only in the nightmare setting pissed me off.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
While I agree with the sentiment that review scores are dumb, I'm not really sure how this particular example shows the pointlessness of them better than any other. Clearly the people who had good things to say in the opening paragraph are probably going to score it higher, while people with somewhat negative things to say will score it lower, perhaps average but not bad. It's not the divisiveness of the opinions that shows how pointless review scores are, it's the distillation of a complex (depending on the reviewer) opinion down to a single number.

Okay, reviewer A gave the game 4/5. Well that's a good score, 80% right? Okay, so where did it lose the 20%? What made the reviewer dock 20% off the final score? Was the gameplay good, but the story not good? Is it even the kind of game that requires the story to be good? I mean, the "story" in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is about as basic as you can get, if you can even call it a story, but nobody complains about that. People regularly award the game perfect 10s, and I can see why. It's not the type of game where the story is important; it's all about the gameplay. Was it one particular aspect of the gameplay that was annoying that you have to put up with? Is it one particular section that bogs the experience down? You'll never know, unless you actually read the damn thing. People just look at the score and flip out. Maybe if you actually read the review, you'd understand why the reviewer didn't agree with you. /rant

Oh yeah, Alan Wake. Um...I didn't play it. :p