Game Recording Lag Help

felixdan1

Sep 12, 2010
hey guys . im going to be updating my computer parts soon as ive been saving up for a while. now i like to record occasionally . but fraps lags soo much. what would be the best parts of my pc to upgrade to reduce lag. graphics card? increased ram? any feedback would be great thanks :D

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Probably a better recording device to be honest, from what i've heard fraps isn't exactly brilliant anyway, but what are your PC specs?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Basically, whatever parts make the game itself run more smoothly. Fraps causes slowdown because it's using a lot of the same resources as the game is. If you're getting a constant 60 FPS, that 15 or so FPS hit won't really matter. If you're limited to 30, it's going to make a huge difference.

SoldierC4

Oct 8, 2008
I've heard using a secondary drive (not the one the game is running off) to save the video to helps increase performance. Never tried it myself, because I don't get much lag from recorders I use, but it would make sense, seeing as video recording involves a lot of constant writing to disk, and splitting the load of loading the game and writing the video onto different hard drives should help. Mind you if your computer isn't fast enough to record at a decent frame rate the diffrence really won't matter that much anyway.

Also, I've heard Fraps runs really well in terms of performance. When I record data I use the free MSI Afterburner (Normally a GPU overclocking program), which has a built in video recording function that works really well in my experience. Idk if the recording studio works on a non-MSI brand video card though, you'd have to try it first. (I don't think MSI itself made the program, I think it was 3rd party, so I'd suggest just trying)

And CPU, recorders chew up a lot of processes.