Game Retailers Forced to Swallow UK Tax Hike

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, im glad to see they arent gonna pass it onto us, as, they are right it would make alot of people thing twice.

Glad to see they are willing to swallow it though, thankfully

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
ultimateownage said:
FYI government: YOU CAN'T FIX THE FINANCIAL CRISIS JUST BY TAKING MORE MONEY AWAY FROM YOUR CITIZENS! [sub]Stupid shits.[/sub]
What they need to do is stop wasting money on a war that isn't even ours to fight. Let America get their soldiers killed.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Uh, right.

I don't think the government is gonna fix much by just taking money off of people at slightly increased rates.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Chances are we will feel the effect of it. Game retailers are really fucking greedy especially with their used games so maybe the regular games won't increase in price but the used games will

Most of their profit is from used games, why do you think they advertise you to return games? About 70% of the used game price is going towards profit for the retailer and it's also why so many developers and trying to get gamers to buy new copies

Still I wish they would stop spending so much money on warfare and benefits instead of taking more money, the amount of tax we have to spend is fucking ridiculous

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
ultimateownage said:
FYI government: YOU CAN'T FIX THE FINANCIAL CRISIS JUST BY TAKING MORE MONEY AWAY FROM YOUR CITIZENS! [sub]Stupid shits.[/sub]
um actually you can...Taxes are a regular and important part of a country and government. Half the reason american has so much debt is because they are borrowing and spending with little to no taxes coming in from their citizens.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
ultimateownage said:
Stupid shit indeed.

And I'm not talking about the government.

Look into the economy and how it works and then you'll understand why it works. You sound like the kind of person who believes printing more money would help things.
No, I think printing more money would make things even worse than it is now. You can see how little it helped the Germans in the 1920's. It does help, but doing that, and just that isn't going to solve all the problems.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks GAME. At least I know that my games won't rise whilst everything else will. Say good bye to cheap burgers, and hello to slightly more expensive burgers.

Calumon: Awww... Now Children's Trading Cards are gonna be more expensive! : (

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
When VAT was pushed down to 15% most high street prices didnt drop so i was actually expecting them to force the extra 50p-£1 onto us to be perfectly honest. Regarding the putting VAT up in the first place well most if not all of the price rise will not really effect you're overall spending power if you earn anywhere between £15-£40k due to the increase in the personal allowance effectively offsetting all of the added costs.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Oh so That explains the clearance sale I stumbled on at GAME, gaining FFXIII, Dark Void, and Star Ocean IV, and ending up skint of the very little money I had in the first place >.>

*happy gamer*

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The 2.5% increase, which takes the rate of VAT to 20%
Mathematical bugbear: you meant 2.5 percentage points, not 2.5 percent.

heartshooter

Jan 3, 2009
why don't the millionaire tory cunts pay the debt themselves? if they all chip in, the country will be debt free in a week

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
Thanks GAME. At least I know that my games won't rise whilst everything else will. Say good bye to cheap burgers, and hello to slightly more expensive burgers.

Do me a favour, this goes for everyone else too. When you go to buy your games after this comes in, be extra fucking nice and polite to the staff. Even if that means you have to smile and pre-order some stuff, even if it means listening to a sales pitch for a few minutes before politely refusing.

Why? Because their lives just got harder. From personal experience, I know how GAME and their ilk work, and they will NOT take this hit on their profits. Instead, they will increase the targets for staff to hit, and punish them if they don't. Once you get above Store Manager level, the people who work for these companies are the scum of the earth, and they treat their staff as a disposable resource in a way non-Retail businesses just can't.

So be nice, because it's possible that their job depends on getting your no obligation pre-order.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
sosolidshoe said:
Jack and Calumon said:

Do me a favour, this goes for everyone else too. When you go to buy your games after this comes in, be extra fucking nice and polite to the staff. Even if that means you have to smile and pre-order some stuff, even if it means listening to a sales pitch for a few minutes before politely refusing.

Why? Because their lives just got harder. From personal experience, I know how GAME and their ilk work, and they will NOT take this hit on their profits. Instead, they will increase the targets for staff to hit, and punish them if they don't. Once you get above Store Manager level, the people who work for these companies are the scum of the earth, and they treat their staff as a disposable resource in a way non-Retail businesses just can't.

So be nice, because it's possible that their job depends on getting your no obligation pre-order.
You made me feel bad, as if I actually be an ass to them. I actually go in and have regular conversations with the staff when I get the chance. I actually joked to them about the release date for Duke Nukem Forever once. Occasionally, I get the odd person talking to me who clearly has no idea what he's on about.

I understand your point, and shall thank everyone with a smile. More so now.

Calumon: Of course we're going to hate Activision if they do they're silly thing again with Call of Duty.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I think the current widespread strike action & probable concessions on pay & working conditions in China are a bigger threat to current prices than a 2.5% tax rise.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Jaranja said:
ultimateownage said:
What they need to do is stop wasting money on a war that isn't even ours to fight. Let America get their soldiers killed.
Agreed fully. Less war funding, more paying things off. Either that or we can pillage and get money /out/ of the war. I don't care which.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
corporate_gamer said:
wait, isn't this VAT rise effecting every retailer selling pretty much everything except for childrens clothes which are exempt.
And also either biscuits or cakes aren't affected by VAT. I'll have to do a search later. And books aren't affected either >.>

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
WilliamRLBaker said:
ultimateownage said:
um actually you can...Taxes are a regular and important part of a country and government. Half the reason american has so much debt is because they are borrowing and spending with little to no taxes coming in from their citizens.
No the reason why we are in so much debt is mostly becasue we have idiots in charge that think that you can get your self out of debt by spending more and more money. In reality raising taxes has show time and time again to hurt the economy more then helping.

When you raise taxes you have fewer people going out and spending, just like these idiotic corp. taxes. The more you tax the businesses providing the jobs, the fewer jobs they will be willing to provide. The fewer jobs provided the less net in take in revenues.

Basically if you have a 20% tax one $100. That means the item now costs $120 and only one person buys it. Now the Gov. only gets $20. Drop that down to 5% making it $105. More people will buy the product. All you would need is 4 people to buy it to make up for the tax decrees. With the price drop you will more then likely have more then 4 people purchase it making a higher revenue then the 20% tax.

This model can really be applied to most forums of taxes showing that lower taxes actually produce better tax revenue then higher taxes.

Huge debt is what you get when you have politicians trying to do the work of economists. Well that and idiots with credit cards.