Game series that need a new chapter

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
So I've seen at least one thread where people talk about what game series need to be cut off. This is a subject that's come up before, but how 'bout one that has been touched on a bit less: which game series NEED a new title. Now, the reasons can be varied, so I'll try giving a few examples...

1) Half-Life. This one falls into the category of "game series that have another chapter on the way, but it's taking a long time for it to come out." Everybody's waiting with bated breath for Half-Life 3 and while it's nowhere near DNF territory in its length of coming out, people are getting tired of waiting.

2) Dead Space. This series falls is in the "Needs a wrap-up" category. Now people can, and will, debate how good the series overall is. Some people enjoy it, some people don't. But the last game ended on a bit of a cliffhanger (don't so many of them?) and could stand to have at least one last chapter to tie things up and leave us with a concrete conclusion.

3) Left 4 Dead. Multiplayer games are a bit different than single-player, and so their longevity is determined not so much by things like story, but more by gameplay appeal. That said, Left 4 Dead falls into the "Don't want it to get stale" category. The game remains fun to play, but while other multiplayers like Team Fortress 2 have no story directly tied to their in-game content, L4D's content does have a certain amount of framing narrative and more personality to its characters. Because of this, new characters or at least new situations need to be introduced or it loses appeal due to what's expected when you play it. When you play TF2, you're just looking for two teams of trigger happy psychos shooting, stabbing, burning, blowing up and bludgeoning each other, and that's what you get. With L4D, you go in to shoot zombies/infected, but also to enjoy the survival horror situation in several different settings and listen to the dialogue between characters. That can't last forever without updates or sequels.

4) Alone in The Dark. Now I know a lot of people's initial reaction is to say "Oh GOD NO!" to this, but just give me a chance to explain. The last AiTD game was, admittedly, horrendous flawed. I'm a long-time AiTD fan and to date I haven't been able to bring myself to finish it, despite my devotion to the series as a whole. Which is why I think this game series falls into the "I'm not dead yet!/They can do better/This needs another chance" category. This is when a series, to date, has put out games that have been enjoyable, but who have had one or two chapters that let everyone down. The original three AiTD games were great for their time and were some of the first survival horror games ever created. The fourth game was a departure from the first three, but was functional and had an original story. The FIFTH game was just awful by all accounts. But I still have hope for the series and think it deserves at least one more chance to come out with a game that successfully brings the series into the current generation of gaming. Since the last two games we a retcon and a badly done direct sequel, I'd like to see those two games dropped from the series canon and a return to the late 1920's - early 1930's era the original trilogy was set in, using modern graphics and gameplay technology with the previous games' tendency towards Lovecraftian storylines.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
MediEvil games - Either by giving us a revamped second game like they did with Resurrection or a new and final bringing-it-all-together weirdness chapter for fun and profit.

Legacy of Kain - Even though the great voice of Tony Jay is gone for good, we still need to finish this twisted tale of vampires and time travel. Orson Welles died before the completion of his role as Unicron in the original movie. That did NOT stop them from finishing.

Skies of Arcadia - Most people who liked this game want to see a sequel. I see no real reason why not. Hell, I'd be enthusiastic about that, big time.

The ICO series - I'm already kicking myself for not playing ICO, when Shadow of the Colossus was frigging awesome, so I'd like the re-releases to come through and those guys to get to whatever games ther were planning for it afterward.

Truniron

Nov 9, 2010
1) A sequel to Lufia and the fortress of doom. It´s been two gaming generations since we last saw a good Lufia game /last one was on the SNES). While the second game is a prequel to the first, and the story ends in the first game, I would love to see a third chapter.

2) Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Advance. One of the greatest hand-held strategy game needs a third part. Otherwise, I would love to see a sequel to the original.

3) Pokemon TCG. I´m dead serious. I loved the game back then, and I still do. How this game don´t have sequels is a mystery. It´s been 4 Pokemon generations since the last PTCG game and now is the perfect time to see a second game.

aakibar

Apr 14, 2009
1) Railroad Tycoon. This was my first video game like back in 2000. While not the most thrilling It was a solid non-violent RTS and it deserves a sequel with updated graphics and AI.

2)Ditto on the Skies of Arcadia...love that game

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
ElPatron said:
I'm with you on this one. SWAT 4 is one of my favourite games ever, and it's also very different from other FPS games. There's not really anything like it out there as far a I know, so SWAT 5 would be great. It would have to stay closer to a simulation type game, because that's what makes SWAT so great. It's one of those games that really shouldn't be made "more accessible" at the cost of everything else.

I'd also like to see a sequel to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It had a lot of good ideas, and was a pretty good horror game for the most part. Unfortunately it had a ton of problems as well, but if a sequel could fix those issues it could be something great.

And then there's Etrian Odyssey, but that's just because I'm such a big fan of the series. There's already 3 games, which are all basically the same, except each of the sequels was slightly improved and more polished than the previous game. I'd love to have more.

colonialmarine

Feb 3, 2011
Well for the last week I've been addicted to one game franchise that hasn't been seen since last gen and that franchise is Timesplitters!

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Anyone said "Star Wars: Battlefront" and "Republic Commando" yet? No? Well, then those are my choices.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Let's see...

Mana series
Chrono Trigger
Killer Instinct (maybe, still kinda iffy on this one)
Battletoads
Megaman Legends (...sorry)
Half-Life (...sorry again)
Star Wars: Battlefront (because being a flying green muppet pinball with a laser sword never gets old)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, that's it. I think.

OH! And Breath of Fire.

NOW that's it. Until I press the edit button.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Skies of Arcadia - Most people who liked this game want to see a sequel. I see no real reason why not. Hell, I'd be enthusiastic about that, big time.
So much unexplored potential there.

Hell, I'd settle for a Skies prequel. They could call it "Rise of the Great Pansy," and make it about Ramirez's youth and how he never got a hug.

>.>

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
Tenchu. Go back to what made the first one great, the two original ninjas and some varied but really original levels. Tenchu Z was a disappointment and that's putting it lightly.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well, Psi-ops needs to finish up. "Wait! I remember now END"
Like in all my posts I will say again another Crash game by Naughty Dog would make me jizz in my pants.
I really like the Skies of Arcadia idea.
Honestly there are tons of PS2 games that deserve sequels.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
FalloutJack said:
So much unexplored potential there.

Hell, I'd settle for a Skies prequel. They could call it "Rise of the Great Pansy," and make it about Ramirez's youth and how he never got a hug.

>.>
Funny story: The re-release on Gamecube covered some of his background, but ya had to sidequest the hell out of it to get it all. (There was also some question as to whether a Black Moon Stone - known to have the power of reversal - could change a man's personality or that Galcian had one, but that's neither here nor there.)

The point is, YES! We could do with a sequel OR a prequel about the war that changed the face of the planet!

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I'm throwing in with the TimeSplitters crowd. By far the most fun I've ever had with an fps. You cant get much more fun than a gingerbread man, an octopus, a robot and a monkey (with a MINIGUN!) vs Zombies, right? Right!?!

XSTALKERX

Mar 10, 2012
Umm okay let me think uhh maybe a next elder scrolls becuase morrowind was awesome an oblivion equally as awesome but skyrim had way too many boring side quests.
And also a next game in the Jak and Daxter series because Jak X was a major dissapointment.