Game suggestion

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Hmm I am not seeing a "suggest me a game" post, sorry if there is one

I feel like I cant really find a game to play lately.
Because of a recent "meh" feeling about a lot of game I tested
a tested game is "playing the game by other means than buying it"
Like for example, when I tried House Flipper simulator, yeah sure, at first, the idea is novel, but its get pretty bland because the mechanics doesn't evolve, the more you play, the more you just do the same over and over.
Or game that ask so much in term of just "playing" the game to unlock the next thing, like Dead Cells, the game is great, the idea of unlocking stuff here and there can be interesting, but you get to a point that "grinding" for the next weapon, is just pretty time waster, no real "challenge" or anything than just the first few part of the game put more point in an unlock, die, repeat, sure I understand the idea behind taking time to learn a new mechanic or be acquainted of new set of tools, but its doesnt require hours...

Anyway (take a look at my steam wish list, I am pretty sure its can greatly help see what I am looking for https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/id/siyano)
I am trying to find game in different style and category
PC games, no early access, doesnt require friend/coop to be fun

1) Survival / Crafting:
after being really disappointed with many "shallow" one, like Icarus, I feel like its hard to find one in that category that is interesting
one I tested: No man sky, Icarus, The Forest, Ark, Undying
officially played: Dont Starve, Long Dark, Subnautica, Valheim, Terraria, Starbound, CryoFall Dead in Burmuda / Vinland.

2) Crafting / Management
Quite similar to the first category more sandbox
Tested: Minecraft, House / Medieval Flipper, RimWorld, Factorio
Played: Satisfactory, Dyson Sphere Program

3) [something] Builder
Mix that can include 1 and / or 2 with the idea of managing something more specific, town, company and whatnot
Tested: Depraved, Flotsam, Noble Fates, Going Medieval, Lets Build a Zoo, Patron
Played: Prison Tycoon, Frostpunk, Oxygen not included, Game Dev Tycoon, Founder Fortune, Universim, Settlement Survival

4) Roguelikes
I guess I include nearly all type of roguelike here
Tested: Ziggurat 2
Played: Binding of Isaac, Dead Cells, Chasm, Gunfire Reborn, Crypt of the Necrodance, Curse of the Dead God, Dandy Ace, Enter the Gungeon, Neon Abys. To name a few

5) ARPG
Either the Isometric Diablo Like or the F/T PS genre
Played: Diablo 2-3, Wolcen, Last Epoch, Bordelands series, Elder Scrolls 3-4-5, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, PoE, Warframe, Outrider

6) Card game
the adventure deck building or the "tactical" like MTG
a) Slay the Spire, Monster Train, Iris and the Giant, Blood Card
b) Faeria, Eternal Card Game, MTGA, Hearthstone

Well, Thank :p

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
For card games, Ring of Pain is one I'd say is close to the same level of Slay the Spire and Monster Train. Like I said, it's close but it doesn't quite reach them. Well worth playing. Pirate Outlaws is also a good card game roguelike, it's pretty similar to Slay the Spire in a lot of ways but I feel like it lacks something in the aesthetic and presentation department. Armello is technically a digital board game but cards play a big part in it so I'll count it. Has fantastic presentation and the gameplay is fun even if you're playing solo.

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Ring of pain, yes tested it, found it bland after 15 minutes
Pirate outlaw played it a lot on phone, sadly got bored because the grind to unlock anything was just ridiculous
Armello, i guess i was never sure about it really

BrickTown

Feb 19, 2022
Country
Canada
Sounds to me like you would enjoy a game called Valheim. Its rougelike if you sneak with the bow and arrow and you can craft and build while trying to survive.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Inscryption. 1/3 roguelike, 2/3 strategy card game. Pretty good story. I found it a pretty good time overall. Not very long.

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Inscryption. 1/3 roguelike, 2/3 strategy card game. Pretty good story. I found it a pretty good time overall. Not very long.
Tested, didnt catch on me

Sounds to me like you would enjoy a game called Valheim. Its rougelike if you sneak with the bow and arrow and you can craft and build while trying to survive.
Already stated in my original post hehe

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Apparently project zomboid got a pretty substantial upgrade a few months back, that might do it.

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
Im going to check it, i already have it.
Just its not super fun alone

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Hummmm have you ever tried 4x game, they're kinda rogue like (procedural generation of map). If you're stuck in a funk it makes sense to try new genre

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
For arpg you might check out Lost Ark. It is free and you have nothing to lose by trying it.
I have tried, about 1h, I couldnt stand the "boredness" and nothing really interesting

Hummmm have you ever tried 4x game, they're kinda rogue like (procedural generation of map). If you're stuck in a funk it makes sense to try new genre
I have played Civ 4-5-6 and Age of Wonder 3, I tested humankind

they are fine, they just require more patience and time investment.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I played star renegade not too long ago and it was pretty decent but the rogue-nes of it is a bit weak.

Ever tried mount and blade, its kinda survival sim, the jank is high but its a pretty unique experience.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Hmm I am not seeing a "suggest me a game" post, sorry if there is one
You made one actually, and another thread about being burnt out on some games and looking for ideas. You seem to go through a lot of titles over time

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
You didn't list Hades, and I'd super recommend it. Its a little bit easier than other roguelikes (until you get the optional modifiers), but crazy fun.

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
You made one actually, and another thread about being burnt out on some games and looking for ideas. You seem to go through a lot of titles over time
Yeah, i feel like im quite burned out, i have a bit too much time in my hand and with covid I think I spent way more for VG :S
2018 was around 300, 2019 : 450, now with 2020: 1300, 2021: near 1700
Damn :S
haha
And I really dont know what to play, I feel like most of the time I try something then 10 minutes later, NAH, exit and want something else

You didn't list Hades, and I'd super recommend it. Its a little bit easier than other roguelikes (until you get the optional modifiers), but crazy fun.
Played well over 30h, guess I forgot to put it its one of the few game I have on Epic

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
I also been too much "analyzing" my game in a sense
when I played a game and find that a lot of flaw and issues are just too big its irks me and I cant have fun when a game offer a fine product but is compromise of big flaw that, I think, could been easily fixed.