Game Theory: Portal's Companion Cube has a Dark Secret

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
Portal's Companion Cube has a Dark Secret

Portal's Companion Cube is perhaps one of gaming's most memorable and lovable characters (items?). But is the Companion Cube another cruel test set up by GLaDOS? What sinister secret is hidden behind the Companion Cube's cute pink hearts? Like most other things in Portal, the cube may be more than meets the eye...

Watch Video

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
They also hum the Turret song very faintly, at least in Portal 2 they do.

contla

Jan 17, 2012
daxterx2005 said:
If the cube is full of corpses....how would they talk and give you advice...?
They don't, but to GLaDOS, Ratman's cube appeared to speak to him . And if she knew there were people inside, she might draw the wrong conclusion and assume the cube actually spoke rather than Ratman being insane

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I disagree with the point about the emancipation grid in Portal 2. First, that stage was at a point when the test centre was still being repaired: There were areas with malfunctioning screens, broken panels and whole rooms were filled with wreckage that needed to be cleared first. It's hardly surprising to see an emancipation grill has stopped working. And second, when GLaDOS destroys the companion cubes in that stage we see a similar effect to that of taking an item through the emancipation grill. Assuming that what she does is equivalent to that of the emancipation grill, wouldn't we see the body then?

Though this does propose another interesting question: If GLaDOS is able to destroy companion cubes at her will, why don't we see her do the same thing with other objects? If she can only do it to companion cubes then what makes them different? And if she can do it to other things then what is the point of having emancipation grills in the first place?

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I'm not sure (Haven't watched every single show on this site), but did Escapist lower their standards or something? First Moviebob (who usually makes quality content) is allowed to bring his GO show in through Big Picture and then they greenlight this show... I don't want to sound rude (which i probably do) but i just don't see the appeal in this show. I realize that i'm not too fond of the whole concept (which is my problem, not the shows) but i really think the presentation is subpar. The speaker has a good voice but his forced intonation is so grating, the way he tries to make everything sound like ts grand revelation, even though it's just blind speculation (most of the time). It just gets really old really fast and i hope that that is an aspect of the show that's going to change just like how Jimquisition improved immensly over time.

I'm not holding my breath, but this really needs improvement imo. And i do know it's popular on youtube, but expect more from a regular show on Escapist. That's the last thing i will say about this matter, no need to fill the comments with negativity, just wanted to voice my opinion on the show this one time.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
Just full of failed test subjects. Not "necessarily" corpses.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I can't get over the fact that the cube is too small for one corpse, let alone a whole bunch.

Faith Meade

Mar 21, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Portal 2 you can make your own testing chambers and set up a scenario where you can pass a Companion Cube through a grid. If memory serves me, doing so makes the cube disintegrate completely like any other piece of testing equipment. Unless the user-made testing chambers exist in an alternate reality from the story ones, this doesn't hold up.

Faith Meade

Mar 21, 2013
MrBaskerville said:
I'm not sure (Haven't watched every single show on this site), but did Escapist lower their standards or something? First Moviebob (who usually makes quality content) is allowed to bring his GO show in through Big Picture and then they greenlight this show... I don't want to sound rude (which i probably do) but i just don't see the appeal in this show. I realize that i'm not too fond of the whole concept (which is my problem, not the shows) but i really think the presentation is subpar. The speaker has a good voice but his forced intonation is so grating, the way he tries to make everything sound like ts grand revelation, even though it's just blind speculation (most of the time). It just gets really old really fast and i hope that that is an aspect of the show that's going to change just like how Jimquisition improved immensly over time.

I'm not holding my breath, but this really needs improvement imo. And i do know it's popular on youtube, but expect more from a regular show on Escapist. That's the last thing i will say about this matter, no need to fill the comments with negativity, just wanted to voice my opinion on the show this one time.
I equate it to an interesting show poorly executed. I think the host sounds like one of those cheesy narrators on some History Channel show, but the few episodes I've seen have at least had interesting material to discuss.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Faith Meade said:
MrBaskerville said:

I equate it to an interesting show poorly executed. I think the host sounds like one of those cheesy narrators on some History Channel show, but the few episodes I've seen have at least had interesting material to discuss.
I'm thinking seconds from disaster on National Geographic^^. The material varies, i remember that the first (out of four) i watched was about Mario being the villian or some nonsense like that, it was quite farfetched but probably also sort of a joke, though not particularily funny due to the History Channel delivery^^. But some of the other episodes seemed to have slightly more substance, like this one about the companion cube, that atleast seems deliberate and plausible.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
MrBaskerville said:
I'm not sure (Haven't watched every single show on this site), but did Escapist lower their standards or something? First Moviebob (who usually makes quality content) is allowed to bring his GO show in through Big Picture and then they greenlight this show... I don't want to sound rude (which i probably do) but i just don't see the appeal in this show.
My theory is that ever since Susan Ardent left, the quality has been dropping slowly but steadily. I imagine the views are similarly affected, and so the Escapist is letting everything have a go and seeing what sticks.

As Yahtzee and Jim have been such strong draws, probably bringing in the most views, notice how they're given the most leeway? A show each, followed by a poetry show, and then a multiplayer show involving just them?

It just kinda stinks of the Greg Tito having no idea what to do with the Escapist. Now it's kinda meh and gray and it's like a bowl full of mash potatoes with the sausages of Sterling and Croshaw sticking out, and the occasional pea of Critical Intel with the cheese topping of Critical Miss.

However, the gravy (podcat) has gotten stale and they keep putting more and more on the plate trying to improve it, and it's ended up with the entire website kinda directionless and aimless, not really covering anything anymore.

It kinda smacks of the entire place just being the personal blogs of several writers who only review games they feel like playing at the time, or writing up articles they thought were interesting on another site, usually IGN or Kotaku.

Sigh. I feel like I'm always complaining about this place. I just live in eternal hope it will improve again, like Final Fantasy.

EDIT: I like Greg Tito as a person and I find his opinions on games to be solid, even Dragon Age 2 because I also liked it.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
Faith Meade said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Portal 2 you can make your own testing chambers and set up a scenario where you can pass a Companion Cube through a grid. If memory serves me, doing so makes the cube disintegrate completely like any other piece of testing equipment. Unless the user-made testing chambers exist in an alternate reality from the story ones, this doesn't hold up.
That's actually the excuse in the game, Cave Johnson tricks his counterparts in alternate universes to build more testing chambers.

OT: So what will happen when this show catches up with the one on youtube? The ones made there is a bit slower than once a week.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
Ok, here's my nickel's worth on the whole thing.

Nope. The cube is just a cube. There's no bodies in it, there's nothing special about it other than the painted hearts. Glados knows this, and she's playing the old double reverse psychology game on you. We've come to assume that everything she says is a lie, or should be taken with a dumptruck's worth of salt. So, at this point, she tells you the truth about the cube, knowing you'll expect her to be lying. Thus, when it comes time to destroy the cube, you're hesitant because you think there's something more to it because Glados said there wasn't. Then, she gets the added bonus of guilt tripping you about destroying a pointless item. This is compounded when she says you destroyed it faster than anyone else, even if you hung around for like fifteen minutes looking for another option.

So, that's the game. Here's the comic: Ratman was NUTS. It was his own mind talking to him. The reason the pill bottle was mislabeled is to avoid getting sued for using the actual name of the medicine. In a non-meta explanation, maybe it was Aperture's own version of the stuff. Glados' manipulations just plain worked on him, to the point that he DID bond with the cube. As to his wall o' crazy with all the pictures, maybe he'd been alone and at the mercy of Glados so long, the only way he could recognize something as relatable was to put the cube over it.

Some else pointed out the vaporized cube in 2, so I don't have to go there. Gracias.

Regarding Glados' comments about the cube in 2, we're looping back around to my first point. Glados is still playing with your head, in the exact same way. Also, here's the meta version: the developers never expected the cube to get so much traction in the first game, or the fact that players got attached once they renamed it a Companion Cube. This time, they were having fun messing with the cubists by destroying a mess of 'em right there, and telling the player they were worthless.

...yep, I think that's everything.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
Lightknight said:
daxterx2005 said:
Just full of failed test subjects. Not "necessarily" corpses.
If you're in a cube with no oxygen....you are a corpse.
There's no way air can reach the inside? Didn't know that was a known fact.

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
Lightknight said:
There's no way air can reach the inside? Didn't know that was a known fact.
See, if someone from inside the box spoke to Ratman (if we go with the idea he's not insane), then that means that the box must be fully insulated from the outside world.

No, wait, that went wrong...

Yep, of course there can be some vents etc. in the cube (it ain't the 2001: Space Odyssey's unnaturally smooth monolith or anything). I think if there's someone inside, starving or dying of thirst is the realistic way to go.

Edit:

Extragorey said:
Compelling evidence, but the presentation is cheesy as anything.
I wonder how many think that about shows like the Jimquisition. I can live with this (and I love Jim) if the contents have value.