Game Theory: The TF2 Pyro...Male or Female

MatthewPatrick13

Jun 17, 2014
The TF2 Pyro...Male or Female

TF2 has been immensely popular for six years now, but this Valve classic still has one lingering mystery. Today, Game Theory takes on Team Fortress 2's unanswered question: The sexual identity of the Pyro. Is this TF2 hothead a male or female? Game Theory pulls back the mask to reveal who...or what...is underneath.

Watch Video

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
[looks at hands] Holy warp! I should be gay! But I am not. Odd.

Captcha: Gold Medal. Thanks, Captcha!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
There is just one small problem with most things: The clothes and graphics style.
For starters, the pyro wears gloves. So trying to judge the finger-lengh there isn't the best of ideas as those can alter the relation between fingers.
Second would be that due the style, not everything needs to be in proper portion to each other. That could cause issues with, for example, the feet-size. Only height/shoulder ratio works as those seem to be done pretty well for the most part (Heavy being probably the only exception).

So, overall, while it is a good argument for male, it is not proven.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Rastrelly said:
[looks at hands] Holy warp! I should be gay! But I am not. Odd.
There are no such things as straight men. Only men who haven't met Captain Jack Harkness.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Objectable said:
There are no such things as straight men. Only men who haven't met Captain Jack Harkness.
Jack breaks laws of time and space constantly. Don't see why biology should be exempt. :p

themilo504

May 9, 2010
So I guess that mystery has been solved, to be honest I always assumed the pyro was a Hermaphrodite.

Also does this mean that the pyro is the first playable gay character in gaming?

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Fun to watch, this one.

Do flame retardant suits for women come with gloves specifically designed for the slightly longer female index finger?

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
You get paid for this? Man, you really fell in it. Wish I could score a gig this choice.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
gridsleep said:
You get paid for this? Man, you really fell in it. Wish I could score a gig this choice.
So far, he's just been posting old reruns from his channel on this site too, so it's not like he's made new content for the Escapist yet. So, it's even better! =p

Gregory Wollf

Jun 13, 2011
Excellent video. Well made, good content, fun topic. I'm glad you made this video.

Now I know that it is only a game and I know that this is only a nerd theory video and that the actual conclusion doesn't matter one way or another... but there is something that I take issue with. Your use of the word 'proven' is incorrect. I'm not going to contest your claims about finger length, body dimensions, or schizophrenia. I'm going to assume that what you say regarding these things is true. The problem is that none of this 'proves' the Pyro's gender or sexual orientation, it only gives probability. There is nothing wrong with probability, but to 'prove' something scientifically you need more than probability. The percentages may be in favor of a gay male but they are only percentages. To prove the Pyro's gender (if we can agree as to what gender is) and sexuality we would need to take into account the Pyro's DNA, brain functionality, and how the Pyro self identifies. This is of course impossible since the Pyro is a fictional character...

So yeah, excellent video... but you misused the phrase 'scientifically proven.' It's not as flashy but you could talk about 'the most probable answer according to science.'

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Bindal said:
There is just one small problem with most things: The clothes and graphics style.
For starters, the pyro wears gloves. So trying to judge the finger-length there isn't the best of ideas as those can alter the relation between fingers.
I would point out as well that the suit would add more to the shoulder width than height which would throw off that ratio as well.

Another point to the female side is if a Demoman gets a domination against a pyro he yells: "Go home lass, men are fighting here!" (Although, maybe that just proves that the Demoman is a homophobe.)

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
My biggest problem with the video is what they used to make the decision.

Haven't the pryo goggles proved that it was the mask altering his/her view of the world? The one item in the game that (sort of) answers a few questions about the pryo's condition is ignored.

Chris Courtney

Jul 27, 2011
All I know now is that I love Valve for putting so much ambiguity into a class on a free to play first person shooter

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
This is honestly the most disappointing of the game theory videos, using an insulting myth as the "deciding evidence" for proving Pyro to be male. The finger length test is complete bullshit, it's made up, it was heavily used historically as one of many "tests" to tell trans people that "they aren't really trans". The lack of research on such an integral piece of this theory is embarrassing.
As well, saying this proves the Pyro's sex is incorrect, this only makes it very slightly more probable that the Pyro is male. There is no solid evidence here, only weak arguments and a shitty myth to back up that conclusion. Over all a very dissapointing video from a usually *moderately* solid channel for video game theories.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Wait so it's the length of the index and the ring finger that are similar?
Well, that explains everything.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Bindal said:
For starters, the pyro wears gloves. So trying to judge the finger-lengh there isn't the best of ideas as those can alter the relation between fingers.
Second would be that due the style, not everything needs to be in proper portion to each other. That could cause issues with, for example, the feet-size. Only height/shoulder ratio works as those seem to be done pretty well for the most part (Heavy being probably the only exception).

So, overall, while it is a good argument for male, it is not proven.
You might find this insightful then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_t4dcJemy8

It's a theory video in response to the Game Theorist's.

I do agree with your opinion. The Game Theorist's theory feels like it's clutching at straws, and uses stylized graphics as evidence in regards to asserting a conclusion.

I think maybe the guy who does game theorists is pressurised to have an answer, when really, sometimes the only conclusion is there is insufficient evidence to know one way or another.

(could someone explain why this video series is just reuploads of his Youtube stuff?)

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Like so many others who watched this video (now or on youtube) I measured my fingers..yup.

On the left hand, the ring finger is longer than the index finger. Male.
On the right hand, the ring finger is ..smaller than the the index finger.. Definitely Female..
So, uh..Bi?
Though I'm left-handed, but not completely sure since still virgin, and well..

They did say on average though.

Pyro be Pyro and me be me.

Captcha, law of sines ..heh.