Game With the Best Story? (For school assignment)

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Bioshock
Heavy Rain
Wow, I guess my gaming lifespan is pretty young too.
And this may be a long-shot but, The Metroid Prime series. I may have just thrown that in with it being my favorite franchise and all but I can think of a couple of reasons. Metroid Prime has vast worlds that are really easy to get lost in; in the literal and metaphorical sense. And there's an omnipresent sense of isolation. So it shows you how small you are in the grand scheme of things but, at the same time, shows you the impact you will leave on these worlds.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
zHellas said:
So the title pretty much says the main idea. I do need some help with an argumentative essay I'm writing on the subject of "Can Video Games Be Art?". I'm arguing for it.

In one of the paragraphs, I admit to gaming's current faults and one of them being the relative lack of story quality (relative being the key word there). I say in the plan for the paragraph, "Story in games is currently bad, to be honest, with the apparently "best" one being: _______"

I was hoping I could get general consensus on what exactly do we gamers think is the game with the best story.

I personally view the Mass Effect series as being the best story, but then again I'm 17 and the amount of games I've played is quite limited compared to many other gamers.

(I know what I wrote for the paragraph's plan is a bit oddly worded, but it's just the basic idea I have for the few lines)
You should read Extra Lifes: Why Video Games Matter.

Seriously good read and I promise it will help you with your essay. I've sited it numerous times in high school and college.

Also...steer away from using Bioshock as an example. It's a great game, and its got a good story but it just falls SO short when you compare it to one of its influences like Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I haven't finished it yet, but Deadly Premonition has to have the most interesting story I've encountered in a long time, and the quirky characters and Twin Peaks inspired setting just adds to the flavor. Oh, and while the gameplay is a bit clunky, I don't really mind. I'm too drowned in the atmosphere to notice any gameplay issues.
However, since I haven't finished it yet, and good games like this can always have a turning point for the worse about halfway through, I'll say Silent Hill 2. That game has an excellent plot, well written dialogue and characters, beautiful music and voice acting, and just plain creepy enemy and level design.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
zHellas said:
So the title pretty much says the main idea. I do need some help with an argumentative essay I'm writing on the subject of "Can Video Games Be Art?". I'm arguing for it.

In one of the paragraphs, I admit to gaming's current faults and one of them being the relative lack of story quality (relative being the key word there). I say in the plan for the paragraph, "Story in games is currently bad, to be honest, with the apparently "best" one being: _______"

I was hoping I could get general consensus on what exactly do we gamers think is the game with the best story.

I personally view the Mass Effect series as being the best story, but then again I'm 17 and the amount of games I've played is quite limited compared to many other gamers.

(I know what I wrote for the paragraph's plan is a bit oddly worded, but it's just the basic idea I have for the few lines)
Yeah, you've already got a whole lot of people suggesting great games to use as examples. I'd wouldn't be able to add anything else.

Well, there is is this indie game called All the Bad Parts, and that had a really awesome story, but you probably don't have time to play it.

After this, I'd love to hear how it goes.

lol

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex: HR, The World Ends with You, Kingdom Hearts (in some ways), and Gun. All of them had really good points or at least a good, strong message within them.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Iji
Cave Story
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Bioshock
The Shin Megami Tensei series

Those are the stories with which I can't find fault. Actually, I probably could but I don't care to.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Here are a few of my choices...

Half-Life series: In Depth From the start of the "Accident" To nearly the end of the disaster
Deus Ex Series: Shows many ways that people can look at things, from steath to run and gun!
Portal Series: Poor Chell, thats all I can say for this one... Quite sad story really imho.
Fallout Series: I just love these games, even though they dont really connect together
iji: Well, because its the most fun Ive had on a side scroller since Duke Nukem was in them

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Final Fantasy 6 is regarded as having one of the best storylines for a final fantasy series. I like 11's single storyline that branches off into the Zilart story and the individual National stories though.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
I'd go with Dragon Age Origins, or the Deus Ex series. The portal 1 and 2 stories are very well done as well, and all without any words from the main protagonist.