Gamecrush.com Goes Down

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Gamecrush.com Goes Down

The flood of users who flocked to Gamecrush.com to play games with willing ladies in exchange for real money ended up crushing only the site, and my hope in humanity.

Gamecrush.com tries to fill a unique niche: you can sign up on the site to pay a lady (or a fella) to play games with you. Supported games are mainstays like Gears of War and Halo over Xbox Live as well as more casual games on the PC like Chess, Checkers or Tic Tac Toe. Many gamers were intrigued enough by the pitch to sign up and try to play with the many PlayDate profiles listed on Gamecrush. Unfortunately, the website didn't anticipate the traffic of thousands of gamers, and the site went down (pun intended). The administrators decided to cease the public beta program until they purchase servers capable of dealing with the traffic.

This is the message currently posted at on Gamecrush.com [http://prd.gamecrush.com/]:

The GameCrush Public Beta is temporarily unavailable due to the incredible user response (more than 10,000 inquiries in five minutes). We are adding new servers to provide players with the best PlayDate experience possible. Games with GameCrush PlayDates start at $6.60 for ten minutes.

The site then asks you to join the mailing to be notified when the service will launch.

A trailer for the service was also released which showcases Gamecrush's text and 2 way video interface. Don't worry, it's fairly safe for work (although what exactly is the featured girl doing at about 28 secs in?).

The trailer is almost too safe... Where's the bear or the gaming grill [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99350-Gamecrush-Pay-To-Play-With-Gamer-Grills-NSFW]?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008

Calumon: Jack what you looking at.
*reads*

[sup=20]Nothing can be said in time like these. [/sup]

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
I don't know whether to be happy that Gamecrush fell apart so quickly, or sad because of how it happened...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
BlueTomfoolery said:
So the site is like a kind of prostitution... thing?
No, I think it's a front for more of a prostitution thing. For those prices, you should at least get a little voice chat sex.

Apr 28, 2008
I...
I just...

For all the work many gamers do to try and show the world we're normal people like everyone else, this happens.

Just... God damnit...

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Ok this world is doomed, everyone come to England and help me build some kind of spaceship. We can form a brand new, more awesome civilization on Saturn.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Ranooth said:
Ok this world is doomed, everyone come to England and help me build some kind of spaceship. We can form a brand new, more awesome civilization on Saturn.
I call shotgun!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Catkid906 said:

Calumon: Jack what you looking at.
*reads*

[sup=20]Nothing can be said in time like these. [/sup]
Oh so true...I never thought people could be so sad...

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
PopcornAvenger said:
Ranooth said:
I call shotgun!
Damn yooouuuuu!
I call gunner!
Of course, I will make sure we have giant space cannons.
Just in case we try to take over the galaxy, I mean, we will always need giant space cannons.

OT: Whoever thought this was a good idea was a bit of an idiot, I mean, us Gamers do have pride, you know.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Are this liek phone sex, where you pay the perosn in the otehr end, or liek a dating site, wher eyou pay the site to hook you up with someone else who's also paying?

Eitehr way, it's pretty sad, if it's teh whoore-thing it's just sad that peopel pay for stuff like that, if it's teh other... aren't there tons of free cam services? how is making a pic in pic while gaming a big enough thing to make peopel think it's worth payign for compared ot the free ones.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
This is a very sad thing indeed. Now the stereotypes are going to be even more supported. Thanks to all those losers.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
AceDiamond said:
So I guess Gamecrush

...couldn't handle the pressure.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

But yeah, seriously? I'm kind of confused. Is this a game-based dating site, a-la eharmony.com (which, admittedly, I think would be a great idea), or the gaming version of one of those $9.95 a minute hotlines that start advertising on TV after midnight?

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Oh god, PLEASE stay down. This is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of.

RebellionXXI said:
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

But yeah, seriously? I'm kind of confused. Is this a game-based dating site, a-la eharmony.com (which, admittedly, I think would be a great idea), or the gaming version of one of those $9.95 a minute hotlines that start advertising on TV after midnight?
The second one, I'm afraid.