GameFront is Finally Launched and Live!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
American Tanker said:
Clearly ignoring the Deepfreeze links, I see. Pity.
No, I read them. A lot of gaming sites these days though have similar records. And in any case, most of that stuff was a long time ago. And on top of that, I just want a good gaming forum to discuss stuff on. If the site has good articles/videos then that's just a plus.

archiebawled said:
I feel slightly bad saying this, but I've not heard of GameFront. Could a few sentences of context, description, or background be added to the article?

Edited to add: I could (and did) click the link to find out, but describing it up-front seems like a better approach for getting new people interested, rather than appealing only to those who already know of GameForge.
Used to be a very popular mod site. Like Nexus Mods before Nexus Mods was a thing. Then it got mismanaged for a long while by our favorite buddy, Defy.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wow...that's kind of amazing to see GF back.

What's next?
GameShark and MySpace?
XD

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
A lot of gaming sites these days though have similar records.
So just because it's the norm means it's alright? Yeah, thanks for choosing to not stand up for anything. Ever.

Just because it's the norm doesn't mean $#!+. It just means we need to root out the people that made it the norm and expose them and their corruption for all to see. Otherwise, we're just accepting that being bad is good. And that's never alright.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
American Tanker said:
So just because it's the norm means it's alright? Yeah, thanks for choosing to not stand up for anything. Ever.
Then WTF are you doing here?

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
Then WTF are you doing here?
Same thing you are, wasting time waiting for the misery to end.

But at least I happen to be willing to stand up and fight for something. Something that could help people be more informed about their options in gaming. Accepting bad practices without questioning them is never good. Might as well be working to cover them up.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
American Tanker said:
Same thing you are, wasting time waiting for the misery to end.
No, I mean way before this. You knew Defy was corrupt. You know they drove off so many quality content producers. And yet you remained here.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
No, I mean way before this. You knew Defy was corrupt. You know they drove off so many quality content producers. And yet you remained here.
The content producers were corrupt, not Defy. At least, not as far as I was aware. Besides, you know where I'd rather go for my gaming news. One Angry Gamer.

The site run by the whistleblower that blew the whole corruption scandal wide open, one William Usher.

You expect me to go digging through all of the GameJournoPros leaks to see that there's something there connecting Defy Media to the corruption. As far as I'm aware, Leigh Alexander is the only one that actually did anything corrupt while working for the Escapist(that wasn't amended at some point), and she hasn't worked here in years. Aside from that one "Gamers are Still Dead" article that was fairly recent, Escapist is clean as far as I'm concerned.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
American Tanker said:
As far as I'm aware, Leigh Alexander is the only one that actually did anything corrupt while working for the Escapist(that wasn't amended at some point), and she hasn't worked here in years. Aside from that one "Gamers are Still Dead" article that was fairly recent, Escapist is clean as far as I'm concerned.
https://twitter.com/russpitts/status/911978909083762688

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
Well... I made the mistake of changing the font size from within my account settings and now the entire GF site is squashed into a tiny couple of inches in the centre of the screen. I can't see or do anything so I can't undo the change, and the only way to view the site properly is by logging out; the second I log in the entire site goes back to being squashed and unreadable.

I hope others can learn from my pain :(

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Bedinsis said:
https://twitter.com/russpitts/status/911978909083762688
Holy fuck, Defy is so crooked/incompetent it's unreal.

captainsavvy said:
Well... I made the mistake of changing the font size from within my account settings and now the entire GF site is squashed into a tiny couple of inches in the centre of the screen. I can't see or do anything so I can't undo the change, and the only way to view the site properly is by logging out; the second I log in the entire site goes back to being squashed and unreadable.

Try using the Zoom function on your browser. Ctrl + Mousewheel Up or Down

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Try using the Zoom function on your browser. Ctrl + Mousewheel Up or Down
The problem is it isn't just a small scaled version of the page; the text is all the correct size, it's just a jumble of all the different page elements overlapping each other in a tiny column in the centre.

Edit: this is my homepage
[img src='https://i.imgur.com/dEMaQeT.jpg' /]

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
You can't access the user control panel anymore?
This is my settings page right now...

[img src='https://i.imgur.com/C8o0IyM.jpg' /]

I can click on some of the orange links, but it's impossible to see any when it's squished into a 1cm wide white bar XD

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
You can't get to site preferences?
I can click on it, but it's more or less unusable.
The white box below is where the font size option is.

[img src='https://i.imgur.com/KI7UFZI.jpg' /]

I can click an arrow up and down (but can't see what number it's on) and hit the orange submit. It'll change the font size like it's supposed to, but it doesn't fix the wonky page formatting :(

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
captainsavvy said:
I can click on it, but it's more or less unusable.
The white box below is where the font size option is.

[img src='https://i.imgur.com/KI7UFZI.jpg' /]

I can click an arrow up and down (but can't see what number it's on) and hit the orange submit. It'll change the font size like it's supposed to, but it doesn't fix the wonky page formatting :(
OK so try to change the font back to normal or at least a bigger size and then exit and go back into the site. If it's still not fixed, yell at FileTrekker/Noe to fix it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
captainsavvy said:

This is the culprit

body {
font-size: 15px;
}
.header__alt, .footer {
width: 0px;
}
.wrapper, [class*="__container"], .subnav {
max-width: 0px;
}
I'm sure they'll fix it soon but in the mean time here is a fix via stylish

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Hmm, is there going to be actual editorial content there? And if so, who is providing said content?

I used to like the GameFront guys, even had some nice brief exchanges with them. But that was in the Before Time. Suddenly they just went nuts, I guess with the exception of Ron Whitaker.

I mean, I thought Phil Hornshaw had smart takes on things. And last I heard, he was sputtering about games "objectifying women" in freaking Playboy. Yes, Playboy. That, and compiling listicles about the ways Bill Maher is Problematic for some gutter rag. It's just sad, like running into someone you used to vaguely know in High School, plying a sordid trade behind the bus depot for the transient market. And that other Phil guy wrote that "book". I hope he found some help.

I'm so depressed now. Everything comes to ignominious ruin, doesn't it?