Gamer Dies In LAN Cafe, No One Notices

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Gamer Dies In LAN Cafe, No One Notices

The body of 23-year-old Chen Rong-yu sat in a crowded Taipei gaming center for nine hours before anyone noticed that something was amiss.

To misappropriate a meme, online gaming is serious business. How serious? Apparently serious enough that people will continue clicking away despite the presence of a decaying corpse only feet from their keyboards.

Sky News reports:

The body of Chen Rong-yu, 23, was found slumped in a chair at a cafe in New Taipei city on Tuesday night, according to local reports.

He was rigid on a chair with his hands stretched out towards the keyboard and mouse, police said.

He had been playing League of Legends.

Mr Chen's body had apparently been sitting there for up to nine hours without any of the 30 other people in the cafe noticing.

He was last seen by a waitress talking on the phone around noon on Wednesday.

Though the investigation is ongoing, local authorities believe that Mr. Rong-yu passed away due to a pre-existing heart condition and the low temperatures of his surroundings. These two factors, along with Mr. Rong-yu's lack of movement while playing and fatigue, may have created a blood clot, and subsequent heart attack.

While most would use this opportunity to warn gamers against the dangers of remaining stationary for extended periods of time, I think the real crux of this issue is that dozens of people failed to notice a deceased person in their midst for hours. Yeah, I get that clicking on your dudes is important, but man, where's the spatial awareness people? Would any of these gamers have batted an eye if a fire broke out? Would they have moved aside if a car crashed through the wall?

I'm not going to jump on the "videogames are dangerously addictive" bandwagon, but I'm suddenly a bit worried about our species. There are completely immobile thorn bushes in Kenya that have better survival instincts than LAN gamers. In the event of a puma attack, we're little more than squishy meat sacks, but at least previous generations would have thrown something heavy at the snarling beast. Now I wonder if we'd even grumble as our arms are torn off by oversized feline claws.

Source: Kotaku [http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16162406]

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
I couldn't help but laugh. This is genuinely funny because i can imagine the community screaming "omg gtfo noob he dun fukin no how to moov".

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Are you kidding?

Whos going to get up and risk reducing their APM rating?

And inb4 - No death does not excuse your miserable gameplay. Get better nOOb

EDIT: DAMMIT!!!! NINJA'D

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
"Now I wonder if we'd even grumble as our arms are torn off by oversized feline claws."

Of course we would, we wouldn't be able to click anything then.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Actually, I have to wonder about any major urban environment causing this kind of desensitization to your surroundings. Does anybody notice if a homeless person dies on the street? No, they just think they're sleeping and walk right on by. Granted, this is more extreme, but the idea is the same. It's background noise. You're not paying attention to it, so you've tuned it out.

slackbheep

Sep 10, 2008
It's not uncommon for folk to sleep at some of these cafes, silly submitter. That said, nine hours is quite a long time for no one to notice the "sleeping dude" isn't breathing.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Man Asia countries don't stop gaming for shit do they? There's been more than a few cases of someone dieing in a web cafe and no one noticing.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
only in Asia .....

nice to see all the laws they have to stop this kinda thing aren't working.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
Nine hours is a lot, but there's many things contributing to the "not noticing":
- Were the computers isolated? That is, one can only see someone by actively looking at the person.
- How was the body positioned? The description the article gives makes it look like the body was in a believable position.
- Did anyone care about this person?

Maybe people did look at the dead body, but all they saw was a person sitting in front of a computer using it. And nobody cares about a random stranger to check if he's actually playing...

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
While most would use this opportunity to warn gamers against the dangers of remaining stationary for extended periods of time, I think the real crux of this issue is that dozens of people failed to notice a deceased person in their midst for hours. Yeah, I get that clicking on your dudes is important, but man, where's the spatial awareness people? Would any of these gamers have batted an eye if a fire broke out? Would they have moved aside if a car crashed through the wall?
Well, those things tend to be slightly more noticeable than a man sitting at a desk.

(Skims previous replies, notices several belittling lack of empathy from Asians)
Balls to that. What do I care what's happening to other people in an internet café? These people aren't me, and unless I'm scamming them and they intend to have at me with a potentially-fatal instrument, why should I pay them the slightest heed?

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Earnest Cavalli said:
The body of 23-year-old Chen Rong-yu sat in a crowded Taipei gaming center for nine hours before anyone noticed that something was amiss.
Looks like he was in the wrong place...
*sunglasses*
at the Rong time.

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
'When one plays with death at the tips of his fingers, it might snatch from him those that he loves'

Or something. I don't know.

This is probably why you're told to take regular 15-minutes breaks every hour or so.

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Well it depends, in asia the computer labs are partitioned and many computer players sleep in the chair. So if he was face down on a key board in a partition no one would really care. Also if they were al wearing headphones and focused who knows.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Micalas said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Looks like he was in the wrong place...
*sunglasses*
at the Rong time.

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
Oh shit I feel bad for laughing at that.
Dammit man don't do that.

balberoy

Aug 19, 2011
Man this is just like dieing while having sex!

but to be honest, its always sad when someone dies. But those "internet cafes" tend to have rather isolated littele cubibiles and sleeping there (breaking down after a night of gaming) isn't something out of the ordinary.

But man, in every "sport" or activity people die, this was just a coincidence is my guess.

standokan

May 28, 2009
At least he died a happy man I guess, creepy though how this kind of thing is normal now.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
What I find hypocritical is that the article pays very little attention to the deceased, but bemoans the fact that other people paid no attention to the deceased.

That's sad for his family and friends. Hopefully for those who need closure, an answer can be found. I'd imagine that at least the act of dying was relatively painless since he didn't cry out or spasm.

To the meat of the article: is the moral, then, that I should poke anyone taking a nap in a cafe? Just to be sure?

Also, this was an internet cafe, where everyone is predominantly motionless aside from their fingers. They attributed low movement as a contributing factor to cause of death, didn't they?

A smell wouldn't develop until after about 24 hours, unless it was particularly hot or humid; but the article says the cold may have been a factor in his death.

Anyway, a sad affair all around.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
and this surprises you? from a country where a baby gets hit multiple times by passing cars at plain day and nobody wanted to stop cause they would be held responsible for funeral charges, this is nothing