Gamer "Inflation." Everyone is a "Gamer" now.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
More people gaming means more people to play games with. I don't care if they're "real" gamers or not- if they play, and they're down for multiplayer, they're okay in my book. Gaming's supposed to be fun, after all, and what game isn't more fun with more people involved?

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Calling anyone who has ever played a game a "gamer" is stupid in my opinion. I've kicked a soccer ball around with a few friends, and dabbled in sports, but I'm not an athlete by a long shot. You wouldn't put me in the same league as the guys who play for the World Cup, but yet here we gamers are claiming that the occasional angry birds player is on par with the more serious players. Screw the term "casual gamer", a gamer is someone who plays games somewhat regularly as a hobby, not someone who plays on their iPhone when in class. Has anyone who's ever owned a car and driven a racer? No. Has anyone who's ever shot a few rounds at the range and missed the target completely a marksman? No. Do you call people "casual racers" or "casual marksmen"? Probably not.

You know why no one uses the term "casual athlete"? Because most people play sports at some point in their life, and gaming is getting to the same point as well. It's an activity that most younger people dabble in at some point in their life, but "gamer" to me means they at least have some interest in the community, game design, game politics, etc. The term is used to denote a person who has a greater than average interest in the activity. Someone more devoted to it. I love that gaming is becoming more widely accepted and opening up to more people, but I dislike the abuse of the term "gamer". At this point, some people term almost everyone under the age of 40 a "gamer" if they've every played a simple mobile game once or twice. You're not a gamer doing that, you're just an average young person.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Launcelot111 said:
Also, owning game soundtracks doesn't make you a gamer. It makes you a sucker for game tie-ins.
A sucker for game tie-ins? Maybe if I bought the licensed soundtrack to Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk. I'm talking about instances where you thought to yourself 'Oh man! This game has such wonderful original music! I want to listen to it EVEN WHEN I'M NOT PLAYING THE GAME! I will go download it RIGHT NOW!' or 'Oh man! I sure am glad Atlus included a soundtrack with my new Persona game! Save me the trouble of downloading the OST! BURN MY DREAD...'

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Rednog said:
I semi agree, here's where I draw the line between gamer and non gamer. You're a gamer if you play games and they're pretty much a major form of entertainment to you and it would be difficult for you to replace it completely with another form of entertainment.
hmm..thats definetly an interesting way of looking at it

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Who would WANT to go back to the times when gaming was for geeks? That'd be like wanting to go back to when oppressing women/blacks/whoever was the norm rather than the outrage it is today.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
ElPatron said:
So most human beings living in developed countries of both sexes and all races? That's ought to narrow it down!
Yeah, pretty much.

What are you even complaining about, anyway? The only reason to make "gamer" a narrow term is to create a hierarchy of the different people who play different games, and the only reason that could possibly matter to you is if you've got some sort of problem with being in the same remote category of somebody whose favorite games are Farmville and Angry Birds. In other words, if you're prejudiced. I've seen some pretty snobby readers in my day, who don't think any reader is worth their salt unless they can quote Shakespeare, Hemingway, and Austen on command, and even they aren't looking for an actual term to separate themselves from the people who read Harry Potter or Twilight.

Lilani said:
And no, perhaps the OP didn't say those exact words, but when you start proposing that we change the number of sales a game has because you've decided some "gamers" are worth more than others and have caused "inflation" in the gaming community, you have to admit that's a pretty elitist and exclusionary mindset.
Except that the OP did not propose that, he asked an estimation.
Oh, well pardon me. So he's using an elitist and exclusionary mindset to ask for an estimate of what those other gamers are worth. My bad.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Boudica said:
Did everyone get together and vote that gaming should be a secret club or something? I'm noticing a lot of angry nerds lately, none to pleased with how popular gaming has become. Is there a 'no casuals' sign next to the 'no girls' one I missed?
I'm getting the same kind of vibe.

I'm beginning to think term 'Gamer' is evolving along the same lines as 'Hipster'.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
xDarc said:
You've seen what the mass market has been doing to hollywood movies for a long time; gaming is not immune to this.
It took you this long to realize big studios like to appeal to big audiences by making big homogenized works? You could have just started with this premise and saved us a lot of trouble.

Like with any other industry whether it be games, film, or books there are going to be the big generic successes. That's just how it is. And if that's all you ever look for, then of course that's all you're going to find.

But last I checked, the state of Hollywood hasn't prevented things like The Tree of Life, Toy Story, The Secret World of Arietty, or Slumdog Millionaire from hitting it big, and smaller films from getting made. The "State of Hollywood" and the "State of Gaming" do look pretty bleak if all you look at the most homogenized 10-15% of games that come out. It's only when you look harder that you find your Bastions, your Amnesias, your Journeys, your Binding of Issacs, and your LIMBOs.

No, gaming is not immune to big AAA companies making big games that appeal to big markets for the sole purpose of making a profit. It's already happening, and we've been aware of it for quite a while. Welcome to 2012. But if you're going to sit here and argue that the whole of games can only be ruined by it, or can only be ruined by a broader audience and broader types of games being made, then it's clear you are incredibly blind to simple market changes. AAA games have existed for a long time, and if nothing else these days with Steam and digital distribution it is easier for the little guy to get a leg up than it ever has been before. Hell, same with film. Loads of careers are getting started on YouTube. You really need to stop being such a downer and accept that games have gotten bigger, but that was pretty inevitable, and it is definitely not a bad thing on the whole.

What would be bad is if we decide we're going to be as closed and exclusionary as we were in the past. Hanging up even more keep out signs on our door, telling people to not create certain kinds of games or not appeal to certain audiences because they are somehow a threat to us. What a crock of shit. The only thing that can ruin games is stagnation, and the fastest way to cause stagnation is to become too afraid of what is new and different and bigger because we've this irrational fear that it will undo whatever has been done in the past.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
If you play games and want to identify as a gamer, you're a gamer. This is a good thing. If you feel like you need to distinguish yourself further based on your particular interests and intensity, you can distinguish yourself based on expression and merit, not based on a label.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Lilani said:
xDarc said:
You've seen what the mass market has been doing to hollywood movies for a long time; gaming is not immune to this.
It took you this long to realize big studios like to appeal to big audiences by making big homogenized works?
A quick check of my post history would have revealed it's a frequent complaint of mine. So are discussion prompts. The discussion was much more interesting to leave it open ended. It seems people care more about the term than who's pulling the strings.

Then there's this other guy who appears to be trying to convince himself that gamging is a generational thing...

You know what else was supposed to be a generational thing? Hippies. Hippies were fully behind a movement intended to bring peace and love to the world. Instead they became yuppies and brought forth junk bonds and wall street scandals... you know, passing on their values.

Are gamers better than boomer hippies? Maybe slightly, but they are most certainly not above selling out the passion of their younger years for profit in the most hypocritical ways possible. If there is any generational effect in play; it's going to be along the same lines that hippies turned into yuppies and sold out. If you take a look around today at the state of the industry, I'd say that's a fair analogy.

Then he goes on to talk about the economy influencing game sales. So how are CoD sales growing in a recession while Nintendo languished during one of the biggest economic expansions in US history?

There is nothing generational or passive about it- the exponential increase in revenues the games industry brings in is a direct result of something sinister. You say it's great, I say you're paying a price.

l0ckd0wn

Jul 17, 2012
xDarc said:
Then there's this other guy who appears to be trying to convince himself that gamging is a generational thing...
Oh please spare us. You've yet to say anything worthwhile since your OP. Even your original 'inflation' question was so abstract no one would be able to answer it accurately because you're the only one who decides if the criteria is right or wrong. I really don't know what you were trying to say, prove, ask or whatever you started with this thread, but you've yet to actually contribute anything more than some sales numbers from Nintendo and some bullshit about there being some deep ulterior motive of the gaming industry.

I bring real considerations to why sales numbers fluctuate while you rage on about conspiracy theories. Keep on jokin, Joker.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
l0ckd0wn said:
I bring real considerations to why sales numbers fluctuate while you rage on about conspiracy theories. Keep on jokin, Joker.
Are you kidding me? Real consideratons? This is what the first thing that popped into my head when you gave your explanation the first two times:

It's computers... *shrug*

l0ckd0wn

Jul 17, 2012
xDarc said:
I gave solid reasoning and all you did was just brush it aside. You still continue to contribute nothing and ask pointless questions to what end I do not know. Again, keep up the charade of attempting to ask questions in an attempt to appear profound or higher level or something. How bout those industry sales numbers bud, have we moved past Nintendo yet?

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
l0ckd0wn said:
xDarc said:
How bout those industry sales numbers bud, have we moved past Nintendo yet?
Because there is no need to. Because you do not understand your own argument. According to you, you should be able to look at any cross-section of gaming data and see a gradual increase in players and sales across the board to get us to where we are today. If it's due to gamers having children, they didn't have them all at once, there is a gradual increase- and the same is true with technological capaiblity.

The fact that Nintendo shows a decline in it's top sellers during the largest economic expansions in US history tells me your assumptions do not add up.

I think it's got more to dowith human nature. Those first waves of gamers aren't just the ones making the games anymore, they're the ones running the companies. Like the boomers, they are having their sell-out period that comes about 20-25 years after the "movement." Middle-age, about the same time people are at their peak of power and influence, burned out and bitter.

You won't find any numbers to back up that claim; but all the numbers I see don't support any kind of a trend or nice upward slope that shows how we got to where we are, slow and steady. It happened suddenly, and sudden jumps in a trend, up or down, is the result of a focused effort on the part of power and influence. Microsoft fits that definition pretty well.

l0ckd0wn

Jul 17, 2012
xDarc said:
l0ckd0wn said:
xDarc said:
How bout those industry sales numbers bud, have we moved past Nintendo yet?
Because there is no need to. Because you do not understand your own argument. According to you, you should be able to look at any cross-section of gaming data and see a gradual increase in players and sales across the board to get us to where we are today. If it's due to gamers having children, they didn't have them all at once, there is a gradual increase- and the same is true with technological capaiblity.

The fact that Nintendo shows a decline in it's top sellers during the largest economic expansions in US history tells me your assumptions do not add up.

I think it's got more to dowith human nature. Those first waves of gamers aren't just the ones making the games anymore, they're the ones running the companies. Like the boomers, they are having their sell-out period that comes about 20-25 years after the "movement." Middle-age, about the same time people are at their peak of power and influence, burned out and bitter.

You won't find any numbers to back up that claim; but all the numbers I see don't support any kind of a trend or nice upward slope that shows how we got to where we are, slow and steady. It happened suddenly, and sudden jumps in a trend, up or down, is the result of a focused effort on the part of power and influence. Microsoft fits that definition pretty well.

Ahh, you do possess the ability to actually say something worth while.

To start, you are the one demanding a slow steady progression and I never claimed there was one. I used three distinct factors to make my claim as the reasons for the huge positive flux in gamers; 1.) The original generations of gamers did reproduce, but it was their far reaching social impact coupled with, 2.) technology and it's 3.) rise in availability and proliferation into everyday life.

10 years ago the only option we had for mobile email was RIM and dial up was still a very real thing for people accessing the net. With technology comes the embrace of technology, and thus why smart phones are the largest selling commodity next to oil right now. It's why we have 30 different BRAND NEW smart phones at any given time on the market. As technology gets CHEAPER and SMALLER the availability and proliferation of use tags along. The reason we have so many options for games and thus that many more people playing them is because of it's acceptance within society.

You latched on to what I said about gamers having gamers far to litteraly and focused entirely on the direct reproduction, which I wasn't focusing on. Yes gamers reproduce and gamers do grow out of some games, but whose to say they stop playing after a certain point? You focus on a finite period of time that you haven't defined to anyone else and no matter where in the historical life of games you focus, there is an increase in popularity over time. It's not consistant but it is there.

Also, the part where I mentioned tough economic times I was using as an example, and it actually could be a BOOST in sales because it is an entertainment item and during times of recession people go out less and find more entertainment at home; the same trend follows alcohol sales as well, with increases happening during times where the average person has LESS money.

If we step away from "gamers having gamers" like you are trying to pigeonhole what I first said, we are left with technology's impact on our lives, and it's been enormous during my/our lifetime. The more everything becomes just an optional application or cloud service or download away, the more integrated our gadgets and mobile entertainment vehicles become into our lives. What did people do on the train before we had iPhones, iPads and smart devices? They used manual, analog items like books and magazines. Many who would have brought a book with them now bring a tablet.

So in short; stop clinging to the "gamers having gamers" reasoning because you can't grasp what I'm trying to say with it and just consider how prolific technology has become into our lives and how accepted and made necessary it has become. With the advancement in processing power and the cheapening of technology it becomes more available, and more people have technology now than anywhere in history (duh), so with the increase of all things digital, games that are applications running on OSs that we now carry in our pockets are that much easier and available to use/play/etc.

Now if you have an alternative reasoning to technology, I'd love to hear it. Showing just the sales numbers for a single company over their own lifetime, again, doesn't take into account any other system/company/competitor during that period and is just looking at data and pointing in a random direction and saying it's useful information and, at best, guessing what is happening with only partial facts.

For instance, in the years that the Xbox and Playstation were released, was there an impact on the sales of Nintendo and/or vice versa? This would be good to know, but only looking at Nintendo doesn't tell us that.

I asked about sales numbers for Sony & MS for their respective systems but you haven't given any. If we want to know real facts and figures, we have to consider the total units of consoles and games sold, then we can start parsing the data by company to show if there were net gains or losses in "gamers." Just looking at Nintendo only gives us an idea of how successful the products were compared to prior sales, which may not reflect an accurate representation of the data.

Or there could just be more gamers because more and more people keep realizing that there is something fun in these games, and its feeds off it's self.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I've been given the impression that you actually prefer that gaming be a niche and something to be ostracized for. That you have a problem with gaming finally being seen as normal after some 20-or-30-odd years of being seen as friendless geeks who gawk at a screen all day.

Anyway, to answer your very, very lame question: The growth of the gaming population does not necessarily mean that any given game would have had higher sales had this population been present at the time of release. You can't do some math and figure out how many Call of Duty copies Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz is worth. It just doesn't work like that. You can find out what the money made from Zork II would be worth now, however. If you can find out how much money that game made.