Gamer Subculture Study

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
You seem to have rather a lot of answers here, but most of them are 20-30 year old males, so as a 16 year old male I might make your census broader, so here I go:

1. I consider myself part of the gaming subculture, yes.

2. I probably do maybe 1-3 hours in during the week and sometimes up to six on the weekend. So make it eight.

3. I normally play games by myself, but only because my internet connection is not too good. Otherwise I might do it more.

4. Pretty much all my friends play games of some kind.

5. I do maybe an hour of online play if I can manage it.

6. I spend at least two hours watching/reading gameplay/review videos a week.

7. I mostly play RPG, FPS, action, or stealth games.

8. I started playing video games at about eight or nine, because the only person of my age who I ever saw was a Halo fanatic.

9. My dad plays video games as well on occasion, but believes I do it too much. I suspect my mum is slightly suspicious of them, but doesn't mind.

10. My nonvideo game filled free time is usually spent on the internet or reading. Gaining intellectual property basically.

11. I don't get too emotionally involved, no more than in movies. The only time I ever felt strongly about a video game was the Walking Dead (I cried) which can be put down to good writing and characters.

12. My grades are fairly good, pretty much all Bs and normally three As. Sometimes one C.

13. I do not have a job.

14. Playing games has probably negativly affected my school performance to a small extent. Though if I hadn't been gameing I probably would have found some other way to procrastinate.

15. I have never skipped school for games.

16. I play video games for entertainment and relaxation/stimulation (depending on my mood).

17. I don't think violent video games affect a persons aggression, purely based on the fact that most gamers I know are gentler that nongamers. The only times they cause aggression is when I'm stuck at a particularly hard part and need to concentrate.

18. Video games become an unhealthy obsession when they start to affect one's real life performance and physical health, in my opinion.

19. I could see myself not playing video games. I am starting on that path now, with an increasing need for study.

20. I own a few t-shirts and models, but most of it is music from soundtracks and fans. Nothing too fancy.

null_pointer

Mar 14, 2013
First of all, good choice on combining a love of video games with an education. I'm doing the same, and it's always nice to see someone appreciate intelligence as both a noble endeavor and a useful rpg stat for mages....

EDIT: I am a 22 year old male

1. Do you consider yourself a member of the gamer subculture?
Yes.

2. How many hours of videogames do you play a week?
Generally, at least 15. It's hard to come up with a decent average, because when I'm drawn into a game, I play it both more frequently and for a longer extent of time than a game that I would consider mediocre. And since I enjoy many types of games, it's not uncommon to have weeks where I play 45 or more hours.

3. Do you tend to play videogames by yourself or with friends?
I do participate in some online games, but for the most part, I play alone. However, it should be noted that many of the features that I find appealing about video games in general (ie: An engaging plot, character development, and an immersive environment) work best in single-player games. It's important to make this distinction, because from my experience, both the gaming industry itself and the general public that doesn't consider itself "gamers" tend to label single-player gamers as the stereotypical antisocial basement dweller.

4. How many of your friends play videogames?
All of them, in some form or fashion.

5. Do you play online? How many hours online do you play?
First of all, the question is slightly vague for one reason only: Ad Hoc Networks. I own a portable gaming console that allows me to directly connect to a different system via WIFI. Strictly speaking, since the devices are not transmitting data to an access point, this is not an "online" mode of play, but it is non-local, which is what I interpret the question to be getting at. For me, most non-local play comes from the times that I do want to play a multiplayer game. On average, I'd say I spend close to 5 hours a week.

6. How many hours a week do you spending watching videos/reading about videogames?
~4 hours

7. What kinds of videogames do you play?
I have a special place in the cavity where my heart used to be for Turn-Based Strategy games (ie: Final Fantasy VII, Fire Emblem: Awakening). I also enjoy the puzzle, action/adventure, and stealth games as well. To a lesser extent, shooters make this list, but in recent past, fewer and fewer shooters manage to hold my attention.

8. When did you start playing videogames and why?
When I was 8 years old, I was living in Germany, when my Father was reassigned to a location in the United States. As a reward for my diligence in my studies, they bought me a Nintendo Gameboy, along with the titles "Mega Man: Dr. Wiley's Revenge" and "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening", in hopes that games would also keep me entertained on the international flight. Needless to say, video games have managed to hold my attention significantly longer.

9. How do your parents feel about videogames?
Until I was 13, I was not allowed to own a video gaming console other than the Gameboy, and when they finally did grant me permission to own one, I had to save up money for close to 5 months to be able to afford a Sony PlayStation. My parents were under the impression that video games would rot my brain for most of my childhood. Since then, they have changed their mind, due to the fact that I am working toward a degree with the ultimate goal of owning my own game development company.

10. If you have free time and aren't playing videogames what else do you do?
I am an avid computer programmer, and I do intend on using my programming knowledge to create video games. Currently though, my main project is a computer program capable of passing "The Turing Test". Projects like this, as well as general research in computer science topics in general, tend to take up most of my non-gaming free time.

11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?(online play, amazing story, etc.)
Yeah, I cried when Aerith died. I get emotionally involved when playing a particularly engaging game. On the reverse side of this, I also can get exasperated or even angry with a game. Best example I can think of is Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, where the sluggish controls, atrocious network code and absolutely worthless plot made me angry at myself for purchasing the game.

12. What grades do you get in school/college? (If Applicable)
I'm above average in my grades.

13. Do you have a job? How many hours a week do you work?
I am currently employed part time, in conjunction with my school studies. I work an average of 30 hours a week.

14. Has playing videogames ever negatively affected school/work performance?
No. While it's true that I've played many video games instead of completing assignments in a timely manner, but the point is not that video games kept me from school; boredom with the curriculum kept me away from my studies, and instead, video games were the most fun and convenient way to enrich myself.

15. Have you ever skipped work/school to play videogames? How often?
I have, but not very often. Maybe once or twice a year, The last time I skipped school to play a videogame was the release day of Skyrim.

16. Why do you play videogames?
Because of the almost uncanny ability to pull a gamer into a fantastic world, far beyond their own, if only for a little while. To quote a colleague of mine, "Video games are a wonderful reminder that this world is not a prison".

17. Do you think violent videogames affects aggression and violence in its players?
Yes, but not necessarily in a negative way. To put this into perspective: I've had days that I consider horrible, and I come home feeling enraged at the world. A few button presses and mouse clicks later, and my masked, nearly-naked avatar is running around in Saint's Row: The Third beating pedestrians to death with a giant purple sex toy. And nothing says, "Stick it to the man" like performing a move called the "Testicle Assault" on any unsuspecting DIGITAL rendition of a police officer of a FICTIONAL town. Afterwards, I feel calmer, and in no way do I feel the need to recreate the neurotic actions of my video game persona in real life. It is all a matter of self-control. And if someone is not capable of determining what is appropriate in the real world as opposed to a digital world, I would say that person is not capable of acting as a positive member of society, much less appreciating the game how it was meant to be appreciated.

18. When do videogames go from being a passionate hobby to an unhealthy obsession?
When they interfere with your growth intellectually, socially, or even (arguably) spiritually.

19. Do you ever see yourself not playing videogames?
No. But I'm also thinking about the bigger picture: I see what video games are, and what they can become, and I hope to reconcile the two into something greater. The media is ripe for some innovation and expansion, and I think the next generation of developers are realizing it.

20. What other gaming merchandise do you own? (t-shirts, figurines, posters, etc.)
I own several posters, shirts, and a strategy guide or two.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
I don't even know what that means. I think I'm what's called a "hardcore" gamer and I visit sites like this one a lot. Does that count?

Varies a lot between zero and (when my son is visiting his grandparents in Ireland) whatever 7*24 is.

By myself, always.

I don't have any friends.

Never.

6. How many hours a week do you spending watching videos/reading about videogames?
Huh, quite a lot... impossible to say really. I'm a full-time dad and always have my iphone or ipad handy, and I browse the web (including gaming sites) whenever my son isn't demanding my attention.

Mostly shooters with decent-length single-player campaigns.

When I was very young (space invaders was the first) because I was mesmerised.

When I was a kid they used to think it was unhealthy but now "everyone" does it so they're not bothered. Go figure.

Assuming time with my son doesn't count as "free time" then the answers are: surf the web / chat on the phone / masturbate.

11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?(online play, amazing story, etc.)
Not much, but the occasional gem does elicit an emotional response.

'A' grades. Graduated from Cambridge University, England.

I'm a full-time parent. My wife works a job and pays the bills.

Yes, when I used to be in full-time employment late-night gaming sessions would sometimes result in me being tired at work the following day.

No.

That's not a question, it's an essay header!

17. Do you think violent videogames affects aggression and violence in its players?
No.

18. When do videogames go from being a passionate hobby to an unhealthy obsession?
A long time ago.

Maybe some day, but not any time soon.

20. What other gaming merchandise do you own? (t-shirts, figurines, posters, etc.)
Nothing. I don't buy that stuff.

Orthus

Mar 16, 2011
male,21

1. Do you consider yourself a member of the gamer subculture? yes
2. How many hours of videogames do you play a week? ~30
3. Do you tend to play videogames by yourself or with friends? alone
4. How many of your friends play videogames? 8
5. Do you play online? How many hours online do you play? ~20
6. How many hours a week do you spending watching videos/reading about videogames? 8
7. What kinds of videogames do you play? RPGs ,Side-scroller, shooters, simulators,puzzle games, sandboxs, stealth games
8. When did you start playing videogames and why? 5, escapism
9. How do your parents feel about videogames? great baby sitter
10. If you have free time and aren't playing videogames what else do you do? 3d models, wood working
11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?(online play, amazing story, etc.) 1-10 I would say 7
12. What grades do you get in school/college? (If Applicable) A-
13. Do you have a job? How many hours a week do you work? 20+
14. Has playing videogames ever negatively affected school/work performance? yes
15. Have you ever skipped work/school to play videogames? How often? yes once or twice
16. Why do you play videogames? escapism, fun, killing time
17. Do you think violent videogames affects aggression and violence in its players? depends on the persons mental stability
18. When do videogames go from being a passionate hobby to an unhealthy obsession? when you start letting other areas in your life go unattended to play more games
19. Do you ever see yourself not playing videogames? yes
20. What other gaming merchandise do you own? (t-shirts, figurines, posters, etc.) t-shirts, promotional stands, hoodies

Aetherlblade

Mar 1, 2010
24, male.

Yes, although by this point your can ask the question on if it is still to be considered a sub-culture.

About 30 hours now I have a job. Can vary quite a lot though.

Both, it varies depending on the game I'm playing.

All, and like me most have ended up in the game industry.

Depending on the game, all to none of the hours. Also, would you consider SimCity to be online for that matter, even if you play alone?

Lots. Almost the whole day, tho mostly in the background while working.. so eh. 78 hours a week or something?

All but sports and I don't like most MMO's.

Can't remember.. I think it was a series by Jesse Cox, but I can't remember.

My parents have been playing board and computer games since before I was born. So they are perfectly fine with it.

Designing boardgames with a friend, or playing them with friends.

Pretty heavily. It's why I loved Mass Effect. That said tho, I can't do it at all with online play. I can like it, but not get emotianally attached, I need a believable world for that to work.

7+'s mostly. Higher in most, lower in most foreign languages and algebra. (My English is okay :p)

Games Industry, 78 hours a week. Can vary a bit, but mostly upwards.

Not as far as I know, maybe. Though it helped me get my job, so I don't really consider it negative XD.

Skipped school a couple of times, but only if I would have skipped the class anyway.

It's my life. I love almost everything about them, but mostly I play them for the story and to figure out the game mechanics. Game mechanics are really important in any game, and its amazing to see them in action while people don't even notice most of them.

Yes, it releases stress and violence that might otherwise have been released in a less harmless way. If you mean "does it make people aggresive" then, also yes. But it only makes people violent if they would have had the trigger anyway.

Just as with any other obsession. It again depends on the point of view, but imo when you start to eat and drink more unhealthy than before the obsession and when your social interaction get worse than before the obsession. However, if you didn't really have those to begin with, it isn't really unhealthy imho, it might even help you get some.

No.

T-shirts, boardgames (of Doom & civilization)and books.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Icyshadow said:
1) Yes
2) Hilariously not at all for the past few months, but then my laptop is being repaired and I;m working on my final year of university so it's not exactly typical.
3) Both
4) about 80% of them
5) yes, some, maybe 6 hours a week usually
6) about 2 hours a day minimum
7) good ones... and bad ones, I really don't have much of a type
8) When I was like 5/6 and I got a sega megadrive, but really started getting into it with my friend playing goldenaxe
9) they do not play them, they understand lots of people my age play them, they would like me to play less
10) read/watch videos about them, lol, I also have a guitar which I like to fool around with, and I like to go out with friends, and I watch shitloads of crap telly
11) really depends, if the game is good though I get very emotionally invested
12) straight A student here, looks like I'll get a 2:1... hopefully
13) I have a job at an engineering firm lined up for when I graduate, I do not intend to stop gaming
14) no doubt, but no more than any of the other procrastination I do has (this survey for example...)
15) no, I'm not THAT keen
16) fun... escapism... the usual
17) I think any competitive game makes you stressed and therefore maybe a bit more likely to act violently, I don't think there's a difference between say a hotly contested match of FIFA versus a game of CoD.
18) When you can't stop even when you know you have to.
19) no
20) weirdly none, though I'm keeping my eye out for stuff.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Jedi-Hunter4 said:
There's a few things I've learned from reading people's reply's here:

1. There are quite a few people who are not great at math replying, 3 examples of people with jobs who list allot of game hours without naming names, allocating 30mins for work travel, 30mins for toilet breaks and washing, and 30mins eating and drinking a day (so fairly conservative). One person had 13 hours a day fully booked with work/gaming/net videos, another on 13 and another a massive 15 hours a day booked up I find that very very hard to believe.
Well, you can log a lot of game hours on weekends? OP asked for weekly averages, and my comparatively miniscule gaming number comes almost exclusively on Saturday. As well, some people may have factored gaming videos like I do - not so much actively watching, but it's what's playing in the background while doing other things.

2. There's an even greater number of people a little deluded about their intelligence, I saw one person claiming a staggering amount of gaming hours as well as being in the " 99th percentile" in a subject area..... yer because with standardized testing these days geniuses just go slipping through the cracks. I got flagged up at 15 to be encouraged to go into further education for scoring in the top 10% (not sure about the precise percentage that's all they tell you) but year, mensa level student's commonly go unnoticed. Also I don't know what kind of university's allot of people are going to, but again either things are being exaggerated or I don't know whats happening as at that level of education on any course worth it's salt your not meant to get 80%+ scores (bar like a math test where there are only right and wrong answers), unless your work is being published

But yer Icyshadow I'd take some of the results with a pinch of salt, maybe exclude some of the more extreme one's as Anomalous results.
The more replies there are, the more the statistics will balance out. Statistics are pretty baller like that.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
22, Male.

1. I suppose so, though sometimes I'd prefer not to be.
2. I'm going to say around 5-10 hours a week on average.
3. At the moment it'd probably be around 50/50- I've been playing a lot of Mario Kart 7 recently...
4. I'd say at least a dozen.
5. Barring the very rare exception, I don't play online at all.
6. Probably an hour or two, depending on if it's a busy news week.
7. It's probably easier to say I play 'Nintendo games' than try to list any genres...
8. I'm not sure exactly, sometime in the early to mid 90's.
9. Mum has no problem with them, and can enjoy them under the right circumstances. Dad often thinks they're a waste of time, but can also be coaxed into playing occasionally.
10. Build/play with LEGO, go to work, study.
11. I tend to bond with characters pretty quickly, and get easily invested in their worlds.
12. I didn't do so well in school (I'm not academically minded) but I'm doing a lot better in college, doing things I'm interested in doing helps my motivation a lot.
13. I do have a job, I work around 8 or so hours a week. Kind of wish I worked more.
14. I can imagine it probably has in some respects, but I don't regret it for a second.
15. No, never. I was once late to class because I wanted to buy a game as soon as I could get it, but that's as 'bad' as that's gotten.
16. To relax, to challenge myself, to take my mind off any problems I might be experiencing.
17. I think that if gaming does trigger violence in some people, those people were most likely already unbalanced, and that's not the fault of the game developers.
18. When you neglect the real world and your real responsibilities, and when games are your sole form of interest.
19. Not in the foreseeable future. As long as there are fun games to play, I'll play them.
20. I own plenty of gaming merchandise (a lot of it being Mario related): figurines, shirts, pins/badges, statues mostly. I keep most of the stuff in display cabinets alongside my other, not-game-themed collectables.

mushroomqueen4

Mar 2, 2013
Oooh yes.

I would say about 4-6 hours a week. 6 is rare though.

Mostly by myself but I really like playing them with my boyfriend every now and then.

Mmm...only like 2.

Only very casually. Like picking up Team Fortress 2 every month and playing a round.

A ton of time!!! I listen to podcasts, have apps that keep me posted and I check the Escapist Mag everyday. I couldn't give you a number but it is definitely takes part of my daily life.

I like experimenting and trying new things, but I always tend to go to simulation and RPG.

When I was 10 I really wanted a Gamecube and since then I've been playing video games but its a great way to feel like you are engaging yourself in a fantasy world and having a break from real life.

My parents at first didn't let me play video games until I was 10. Once they saw that I was able to multitask gaming with other aspects of life, they didn't care.

I go out with friends, I'm big on movies,I'll go to a party once a week maybe or biweekly, I run, listen to music, learning how to program java.

It depends on the game, but what I really get into is if I identify with the character or there is an amazing story. Online play doesn't do it for me.

I took the hardest classes and got good but not excellent grades.

Not right at the moment!

I have had urges to skip studying or homework to play a videogame..but that's normal. No addiction or anything.

Never. Though, I have skipped school before and ended up playing videogames.

It is a fantastic escape from real life. Its like getting absorbed in a great movie but you are fully engaged in it.

No I don't. The only argument I can agree to are for crime games like Gran Theft Auto. The swearing and random acts of cruelty are crossing a dangerous line. Other games like shooters though I think are absolutely fine.

When the person starts missing or passing out on other important aspects of life. (examples-social life, school/work, health, doing chores).

I think if I have kids I would inevitably slow down but I don't think I'll ever stop.

I have a poster in my room with a bunch of images like "Keep calm and game on" or "Keep calm and shoot zombies" etc. And I also have these little yoshi figurines.

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
EDIT: Male, 23

Yes.

Anywhere between 10-15 hours per week usually, though I dial that back a bit if I have an assignment looming.

Usually alone, though I do get together at least once a week with a friend for local multiplayer.

About half of them. Only a couple of my lifelong friends do, and they only play sports sims (FIFA, basically). The vast majority of the people I've met at uni identify as gamers.

If it's one of the rare weeks where I decide to brave LoL or DoTA, pretty much all my playtime will be online. If not, 2 or 3 at most.

Specifically searching for such material, about 4 or 5. But I'm also subscribed to the main gaming subreddits, so the actual figure is most likely much higher, though I couldn't possibly estimate it.

I play a lot of strategy games (mainly Starcraft and Civilization 5) alone. For co-op, normally shooters (Halo, L4D2, Payday). For competitive multiplayer, MOBAs exclusively (usually LoL, but DoTA too). A lot of Indie games, too.

I started when I was 4, when my uncle gave my brother and I his Amiga 1200.

My mother takes an interest in what I'm playing. She made sure to always know what I was playing as a kid, and occasionally asks about it now. I never lived with my dad, or spoken to him about games, so I couldn't tell you his opinion, but he bought most of the consoles I've owned. Couldn't tell you if he likes gaming, but he certainly isn't opposed.

Uni work, usually. Even outside of term time, I spend a lot of time going over what we've already done/looking ahead to what's to come. I also enjoy a drink. Socially, you know.

Not very. Only the best stories truly grip me, and multiplayer doesn't get me worked up. I'm a pretty chilled gamer, all in all.

I maintain a high B average at uni. I sneak the occasional A, usually in mathematics.

Just hit 3 years with the same employer. Do anywhere from 18-35 hours a week, depending on how much I've got to do at uni.

Not ever. I've always been pretty at good putting my studies first.
I clean to procrastinate, not game.

Not ever. First part of answer to number 14 applies here. I credit my mother for this attitude. She should write a book on how to parent. Seriously.

To unwind. It's the best way to just relax for a couple of hours.

Different people are affected differently. I'm not really moved to anger by games, neither are most people I know, but some are. I know a guy who can't buy expensive mice because he WILL break it playing LoL (and sometimes cause injuries to himself and others in the process), and another who's girlfriend broke up with him because of how aggressive he gets during and after gaming sessions.

When real life gets relegated to second place by them. You can't use video games as a way to escape your responsibilities.

I can't. It's part of who I amn to play video games. I'll always game, but I might not always identify as a 'core' gamer. My gaming habits changed drastically over the past 2 years, I just don't play as much. Once I graduate, get a grown-up job where I don't wear a namebadge, maybe have a family, I'll probably play even less often. I'll always find a little time.

I have a few figurines on my desk, and my wardrobe is nearly exclusively geeky t-shirts (there's a few gaming ones in there). I also have a few collectors editions, and have a couple of limited edition consoles.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Edit: 29, Female

Of course.

Depends, but usually 10+. If I'm really into one it could be 30+.

I live with my sister and we pretty muchonly play while each other is watching.

Not too many - being female and 30ish.

Not currently, but will be with FFXIV's re-release, and that will probably be the 10-30+ hours weekly.

I hate my job, so a good 15+ hours.

Mostly RPGs, but sims and city-builders, too.

When I was akid - we had a Pong or something similar, then we got an NES and such is the story everyone tells.

My dad doesn't get it, my mom plays more than me.

Watch movies, usually. Or do chores/grocery shopping.

When I was younger, incredibly involved. Now? Not so much. I kinda wish I could get more invested, actually.

80's or low A's/high B's... graduated library school with a 3.86 GPA (was 4.0 for 3 terms, had one class that I nearly failed that killed it), I think.

Government librarian, 37.5 hours a week.

I would say negatively... considering I'm doing this survey at work.

Yup. Not much when I was younger as my family has a strong work ethic, but that's disappeared now that I'm an adult and I hate my job. Probably a few days a year.

Escapism - plain and simple. I prefer the lives the characters live to my own.

I think it does - it makes you less aggressive as you can blow off steam and games do show you repricussions to violence sometimes, too.

Ask me in a few months when I'm playing FFXIV again. ... But when you start neglecting things in the real world in order to play. Be it friends, family, woork, school, food or chores.

Nope. They're part of who I am now. I can't give it up.

Books, movies, figurines, clothing, soundtracks etc. Not a whole lot, but a few things. I'm pretty cheap, so I want a lot of things but can't really afford them.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
32 year old male

No, not into the whole belonging to a club. gaming is just one of the many aspects that make up me (as pretentious as that may sound).

Around 10-20 hours.

Mostly by myself due to a lack of gaming friends and a distaste of playing with strangers. I have semi-regular get-togethers with some friends to spend the evening on the couch gaming.

Only three.

I rarely play online.

One or two hours.

Anything except most simulation and sports games.

When I was 6 and got a NES as a surprise gift for christmas. I wasn't really aware of gaming before that and thus not interested either, but after getting the NES I took to it quite well.

They're ok with it, although they don't have a say in it anymore.

Reading, playing bass guitar, painting & mountainbiking.

Not in school anymore. I had decent to great grades depending on subject.

Yes. 40 hours or more (depending on overtime) for my main job and a variable number of hours for the freelancing I do on the side.

Nope, I draw a clear line between work and play.

No, see question 14

For fun, to pass the time and when playing with friends, for the social interaction

They might in people who already have a proclivity towards aggression and violence. I believe that in these cases they don't cause the behavior, but rather may act as a catalyst, increasing the intensity of the behavior. Note that I don't believe this possibility is unique to videogames and that until I see hard evidence from a reliable source I consider it merely a possibility.

When you start neglecting friend, family, work, school and/or yourself just to get that one item, get in another round or finish that one boss.

I suppose so if at some point the more pressing priorities in life leave me with no time to play.

Nothing beyond the goodies I occasionally get at press events: keychains, small toys, some posters, ...

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
No, I don't get to know other gamers as gamers. So I'm a gamer currently adrift from subcultures of gamers.
Varies greatly from week to week, even month to month.
By myself.
Not actually sure, doesn't come up in conversation.
Used to play online a lot, but not any more for technical reasons. Did not record time.
Probably more than I spend playing them, but again, no idea about hours.
Shoot-em-ups, action-adventure, stealth.
Introduced by parent while somewhen between 3 and 9, it appealed on multiple levels, eg. pretending to be a racer, creative expression by making new cars, challenge and progress of mastering the mechanics, sense-pleasure of the exotic locations.
One seems fine about it and also plays them, the other doesn't say much.
Watching TV shows and films, discussing things in forums, reading about various stuff such as science, technology, culture, and philosophy, participating in tabletop RPGs, LARPing, Foam Dart Live Action Gaming (multiplayer). Have recently started practising mysticism.
11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?
Haven't compared emotional involvement with anyone elses. But about the same as TV and movies.
Medium.
Too personal
Technically yes, but without them I'd probably get sidetracked by other distractions instead.
Never.
The aesthetics (see MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research, Hunicke et al.2004) which I most engage with in video games tend to be sensation, fantasy, challenge, discovery, and expression.
I consider them to reduce inhibitions against violence, but not make them any more interested harming other people, and can even reduce stress, thus decreasing likelihood of adopting violent or aggressive behaviour.
When ability to continue purchasing and playing them is put at risk by lack of other actions, in other words, when amount of play becomes unsustainable.
Depends how unlucky I get, but I doubt I'll ever stop being a gamer.
Have not bought any video-game based merchandise.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
Here we go Mr Man hope this helps

I Suppose so, But "gamer" is so broad of a description its useless

I'm going to guess, cus i dont really keep track, i finished Heart of the Swarm in about 15hours in 2 days so extrapolating from that 50+ per week

Both, i play on PC so even if i'm playing single player ill often have skype on talking to people, but i also play at lot of MMO and Competitive games like StarCraft, LoL, Dota ect

Almost all of them in varying levels, some play alot some very little

As i play PC games alot have always on DRM, and i also play MMO's quite often, so of the 50+ maby half to 2/3rs is either online 'cus of DRM or MMO. if you count being on steam as online in order to play its basically 100% though

About as much if not more then i spend playing, i like watching things like let's plays and reviews, and first impressions and other such videos, hell i've even watched my share of parody music videos (TGS is best GS)

All sorts really, from MMO's to platformers, to runner and sims, the only genre i don't play is the genre called Spunkgargleweewee by Yhatzee

b> 8. When did you start playing videogames and why?[/B]
Since i was a kid, i dont recall why, i suppose 'cus it was fun, Mega Bomberman is still one my favorite games ever and its very old now and the first one i can remember

I get the feeling they feel there a waste of time. but other then that they dont care. (i buy my own stuff so they don't bother me)

Watching YouTube, writing a DnD Campaign, or occasionaly watching TV.

I play games for their story, and if the game is immersing enough i will get deeply involved. RPG's are best PG's :p

15 GCSE's above C, 19 in total, 2 A2's (Politics and English language) 2 AS's (Film and Philosophy)
(These are English qualifications GCSE are basic A-levels are advanced, and i'm currently doing a diploma which will end in a degree)

Im a full time student so no, though i am looking for one to do when i'm not studying

Probably, though ive never really struggled in school or at work (when ive had it) so its hard to say

Rarely, and not to recant memory

Story, Fun, and fun

No, ignoring the countless studies, i am no more or less aggressive then i was when i was small. multiplayer gamer like all competitive thing illicit adrenaline, its a natural response.

Depends, time while important isn't the most important thing imo, its weather or not it becomes a grossly negative detriment to other things such as health, work and school. (i left social out 'cus some people just don't care or don't want to be social)

Maby if i got married and had kids, i might be too busy to play as passionately as i do now, but i'd honestly want to introduce this hobby to my future kids, so when i'm dead maby :p

I have a few collectors editions, a few figures (Red Faction Walker and a Ezio) a few free posters (also game maps) and finally Magic The Gathering Cards o god the cards, these are fucking expensive.

Also 21/Male

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
19/M/Canada.

1. Do you consider yourself a member of the gamer subculture? Yes, always have.
2. How many hours of videogames do you play a week? It varies on my mood, 12 when I'm not depressed as shit, 0-4ish when I am.
3. Do you tend to play videogames by yourself or with friends? I am a single player fan, I mostly walk around and do illegal narcotics with my friends.
4. How many of your friends play videogames? All of them. Except this one guy, who hasn't played since Fire Emblem on the GBA.
5. Do you play online? How many hours online do you play? I played WoW to 85, but I rarely play online. Maybe 20 minutes a week lifetime average?
6. How many hours a week do you spending watching videos/reading about videogames? Pretty much any time I'm not sleeping, eating or with friends walking around and doing illegal narcotics.
7. What kinds of videogames do you play? Role-Playing Games like Final Fantasy and The Elder Scrolls.
8. When did you start playing videogames and why? I was 7 or 8, had loved the Pokemon TV show for a long time (well, 4 years is a long time at that age) and so it just came naturally that when Pokemon Silver came out I had to get it.
9. How do your parents feel about videogames? Indifferent at best.
10. If you have free time and aren't playing videogames what else do you do? I enjoy reading, rowing/kayaking and the afformentioned buddy time with drugds (or is that drug time with buddies?)
11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?(online play, amazing story, etc.) Final Fantasy VI, FFTactics, Crisis Core: FFVII, Dragon Quest V and Persona 3 FES all made me feel very feely things. More than any movie ever has.
12. What grades do you get in school/college? (If Applicable) Pretty shite ones, I'm a lazy bastard. Never have to do anything to ace English, though. History is also a strong-suit.
13. Do you have a job? How many hours a week do you work? I wish. *grumble grumble*fuck maritime employment*grumble grumble.*
14. Has playing videogames ever negatively affected school/work performance? Yes.
15. Have you ever skipped work/school to play videogames? How often? Haven't we all been "sick" for our favourites a few times? Yes, but frankly if you want to know why I skipped half of my Junior year, it ain't anything man-made.
16. Why do you play videogames? Because I'm lucky enough to live in a society where I can.
17. Do you think violent videogames affects aggression and violence in its players? In the same way that clenching one's fist might. That is to say, on a subconscious level to no drastic effect.
18. When do videogames go from being a passionate hobby to an unhealthy obsession? Probably two, maybe three hundred extra pounds in.
19. Do you ever see yourself not playing videogames? Every time I look in the mirror while not playing.
20. What other gaming merchandise do you own? (t-shirts, figurines, posters, etc.) A plush doll of Raihou from Devil Summoner 2 that came with my pre-order, an apposable figurine of Balthier from Final Fantasy XII, and players guides for Final Fantasy I, II, III and Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
33, M

1. Do you consider yourself a member of the gamer subculture? Peripherally (Yes). I consider myself more drawn to board, war, and role-playing games, which is also "gamer subculture," but I'm also somewhat displeased by the idea of a gamer subculture. Video games are far too expansive to be neatly encapsulated into a subculture. They are so mainstream identifying it as a subculture sounds almost silly. In short, I think there's a begged question here. Is there a notable counter-culture trend to gamers which deserves the label subculture? I say, "No. Games are mainstream culture in the industrialized West, most of Latin America, Japan, Korea, and a host of other nations. Gamer culture is part of mainstream subculture nowadays, which a few hardcore elements which are fringe."
2. How many hours of videogames do you play a week? 4-6 hrs
3. Do you tend to play videogames by yourself or with friends? Equal split
4. How many of your friends play videogames? I'd estimate 70%, including casual gamers.
5. Do you play online? How many hours online do you play? Yes. 2-3.
6. How many hours a week do you spending watching videos/reading about videogames? 1 hr.
7. What kinds of videogames do you play? Strategy, shooters, RPGs, puzzle.
8. When did you start playing videogames and why? Age 4-5, because there was an arcade next to my parent's business.
9. How do your parents feel about videogames? Recognize video games as an art form and media. Father enjoys watching but not playing. Mother is a casual gamer. Ages: 71
10. If you have free time and aren't playing videogames what else do you do? Fence, exercise, socialize, table top war games and role playing games, read, craft models
11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?(online play, amazing story, etc.) Plot elements can be fairly emotional. Friendly online play is fun. Hostile atmosphere or aggressive out of game behavior turn me off to a community.
12. What grades do you get in school/college? (If Applicable) About a 3.6.
13. Do you have a job? How many hours a week do you work? Senior medical student. About 80.
14. Has playing videogames ever negatively affected school/work performance? Possibly, but no more than any other non-work-related hobby.
15. Have you ever skipped work/school to play videogames? How often? No.
16. Why do you play videogames? Entertainment.
17. Do you think violent videogames affects aggression and violence in its players? Possibly. The evidence is still pretty weak tea but not negligible, as much as no one on this site wants to admit it. Then again, the evidence for any media influencing violence is problematic at best, subject to a myriad of confounding factors, and...I'll stop here. And I am messing up your survey because I am not expressing an opinion but awaiting evidence. See answer #13.
18. When do videogames go from being a passionate hobby to an unhealthy obsession? I'll borrow from a common thought in psychiatry: when it begins to negatively impact quality of life, including social life, academic/work performance, familial/intimate relationships, or other aspects.
19. Do you ever see yourself not playing videogames? By choice? Unlikely. By necessity? Have done so.
20. What other gaming merchandise do you own? (t-shirts, figurines, posters, etc.) None aside a few feelies and goodies from Collector's editions of games.

Icyshadow

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks to everyone for all of your responses! This will be extremely helpful for my 'look into the depths of gaming subculture.' Sorry that I have responded at all since I posted this, I didn't have internet for over a week, so that was fun. The point of this study for my essay is to debunk a lot of the stereotypes that follow gamers around. Granted there are always going to be people who fit the mould, but what matters is that it isn't what makes up our subculture. Thanks again to everyone who posted!

Nadia Gezichtboek

Mar 29, 2011
1. Do you consider yourself a member of the gamer subculture? No
2. How many hours of videogames do you play a week? 14 hours?
3. Do you tend to play videogames by yourself or with friends? Alone
4. How many of your friends play videogames? 2
5. Do you play online? How many hours online do you play? Not online
6. How many hours a week do you spending watching videos/reading about videogames? 2 hours (Animal Crossing related)
7. What kinds of videogames do you play? (W/J)RPG, Turn based strategy, simulation, puzzle
8. When did you start playing videogames and why? A friend introduced me to the Elder Scrolls Arena, since then I alway's liked Rpgs
9. How do your parents feel about videogames? Mother is a casual gamer
10. If you have free time and aren't playing videogames what else do you do? Dancing, boardgames, Star Trek, reading SF
11. How emotionally involved do you while playing videogames?(online play, amazing story, etc.) Like in movies I like a good story
12. What grades do you get in school/college? (If Applicable)-
13. Do you have a job? How many hours a week do you work? 38 hours
14. Has playing videogames ever negatively affected school/work performance? No
15. Have you ever skipped work/school to play videogames? How often? No
16. Why do you play videogames? I like to be in another world, entertainment
17. Do you think violent videogames affects aggression and violence in its players? I don't know, Myself don't get angry when I get a Game Over screen.
18. When do videogames go from being a passionate hobby to an unhealthy obsession? If you skip your job for it? Not eating?
19. Do you ever see yourself not playing videogames? No, Games are everywhere even on smartphones.
20. What other gaming merchandise do you own? (t-shirts, figurines, posters, etc.) some t-shirts, plush dolls