Gamers Against Bigotry

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Hazy992 said:
So your answer to speaking out against bigotry is to simply become the No-Cussing Club? Yeah, no fuck that shit, that's ridiculous.

If someone calls me a 'cheese-jockey' online then I reserve the right to call them an asshole.
Same. Swearing is not the same as being racist, sexist, or homophobic. I can call someone a dumbass ************ and not be a bigot, I'd just be pissed.

Ryotknife said:
I mean, dear lord your solution sounds like it was ripped straight from the Demolition Man script. going from one extreme to another extreme is not a solution. Punishing those who blatantly cross a line for purely malicious reasons would be a better course.
As for that, yes, it does. The Seashell Scene was pretty epic too, with Stallone just rattling off swears so he has toilet paper. And since that isn't actually at all key to Demolition Mans plot, I'll live dangerously and not worry about spoilering that.

Now, going against bigotry is great. I love the general idea, after all, each and every human on this Earth is fundamentally the same, at least biologically, so the only way we should treat them differently is on a case-to-case basis on how they act. Sexism, Racism, and whatever -ism happens to be against those of 'alternative sexual preference' to use a technical term... All of it needs to stop.

... Just let us keep our creative, all-encompassing swears while we stop it.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
bullet_sandw1ch said:
well let me ask you this:
what do you do once you have the cheese?
mount the cheese.
Did you really have to use the word 'mount'? Such terrible images!

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
The Plunk said:
Americans need to stop using bigoted go-to insults like "Fag" (homophobic), "******" (racist) and "*****" (sexist)

Use British/Australian ones instead! "****", "Wanker", "Tosser" "Bastard" and "Dickhead" are all fine to use because they aren't aimed at one group in particular, they're just general insults to use on undesirable people.

But if these twats think that we shouldn't be allowed to swear at all, they can go fuck themselves.
I dunno, I think that the bastards would be offended, and women, and wankers.

that covers just about everyone.

So yeah, even the proper English swears are super offensive.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Interesting, too bad it would never work in a million years and would at best serve as a hub for people who want to avoid this stuff.

See I have a friend like this who uses this language, one of my best actually. The thing is he throws around ******, ******, ****, Retard, or whatever else you can think of regardless of what the other person looks or sounds like. Doesn't matter what race or ethnicity or gender or sexuality they are he uses them all, even where they'd be mutually exclusive. It's never in hate, he's never angry. He's always got this fat grin on his face when people get mad or uncomfortable like "Can you believe this guy a million miles away actually cares what I say?" It's schaudenfreude plain and simple. He doesn't care about what you are he just wants to make you mad and using words that are instantly deemed evil and sanctioned off is the perfect ammo, guaranteeing a response.

Most people don't call each other slurs while gaming online because they're bigoted, they do it because it creates and guarantees the biggest response possible.

Evan Waters

Dec 12, 2007
him over there said:
Interesting, too bad it would never work in a million years and would at best serve as a hub for people who want to avoid this stuff.

See I have a friend like this who uses this language, one of my best actually. The thing is he throws around ******, ******, ****, Retard, or whatever else you can think of regardless of what the other person looks or sounds like. Doesn't matter what race or ethnicity or gender or sexuality they are he uses them all, even where they'd be mutually exclusive. It's never in hate, he's never angry. He's always got this fat grin on his face when people get mad or uncomfortable like "Can you believe this guy a million miles away actually cares what I say?" It's schaudenfreude plain and simple. He doesn't care about what you are he just wants to make you mad and using words that are instantly deemed evil and sanctioned off is the perfect ammo, guaranteeing a response.

Most people don't call each other slurs while gaming online because they're bigoted, they do it because it creates and guarantees the biggest response possible.
That's still bigotry. It's not okay because you don't mean it.

Your friend is an asshole.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Evan Waters said:
him over there said:

That's still bigotry. It's not okay because you don't mean it.

Your friend is an asshole.
Being a bigot and doing bigoted things are different. If he had feelings that minorities were inferior and immoral that would be being a bigot, while merely saying words that are deemed bigoted outside of a bigoted context is saying bigoted things without embracing the ideals. It's a dick thing to do but honestly the mentality comes down to "I want to offend this person and this word offends them most however I don't want to offend them based on their race/culture/sexuality/gender."

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I don't really have a strong enough opinion to choose one side or another in this issue, but I find it funny that you invoke Godwin's law in the very first post.

Threeseventyfive

Feb 25, 2012
Not this again...

I support equal rights for everyone, but this is just ridiculous.

Why not try fighting against people who cause actual harm? Y'know, people who make unjust laws to unbalance society in their favor, or those who advocate the killing of people who were born different to them. God forbid you actually make a difference instead of just trying to make people censor themselves.