gamers equal serial killers?

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
I remember my share of not-so-bright teachers in high school. As the years go by, I look back and realize....they really were stupid. And for some reason, it's always the dumb ones who take it upon themselves to pontificate about what they know nothing about. I think it's "captive audience syndrome".

As an aside, I know some really great teachers, too. But they're the ones who use class time to, you know, teach the assigned subject.

The Night Shade

Oct 15, 2009
aegix drakan said:
First off, what grade are you in? I you're in anything past year 3 of high school, he has no right to try and tell you how to live your life.

Second, I would have raised my hand and said "But sir, according to recent studies, we've found that the majority of gamers are now middle aged women playing browser games! Are you saying most of our moms are fat serial killers waiting to happen?"

And then rejoice in the lols that would ensue form the class. XD
This for the win also your history teacher sounds like an ignorant

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
yes of course that makes sense; playing video game is the reason every serial killer kills. no it not because they have a mentally disbalanced or they were abused as a kid.(sarcasm)

as for the cyber stalker i got sarcastic response to that and fail to see the connection as well.

ok can see it being a part of obesity but if it is not the main cause in any way at all. diet and exercise are the main reason. also your Thyroid could not be working properly or being genetically predispositioned in a way that would make weight loss much harder to achieve.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Mad Hamish said:
If playing video games leads to people becoming serial killers, then shouldn't there be a lot more murders each year? I mean, according to wikipedia the total console sales of the current generation is about 60 million in the United States alone, and by definition a serial killer has to have killed more than one person.
I think you just found the solution to over-population. Cigarettes only TEND to kill the user, and MIGHT kill a few other people. If we gamers are consuming a product that will kill us (in a blaze of glory, one might hope) and make us murder several other people, then humans could be extinct by the end of the year!

Lybs

Nov 8, 2010
I'm surprised your teacher didn't wrote rock'n'roll on the negative side too..........

In the 80's Heavy Metal was blamed from the segregation of todays youth and now video games are the main scapegoat and that's just a load of bull.
Tell your teacher it's our exposer from the media that nullifies the violence in todays society so we don't care anymore about cruelty.
Watch the news, see how much time it takes the reporter to go from a crises in a u-country and something that happens within your own borders, how time the reporter takes to talk about them and what the impact of the news have from how the reporter presented it.

Ask your teacher this, would playing a educational game like Math Heroes make you a homicidal maniac or that guitar hero actually teaches real music theory like reading/writing notes?

Games can be stress releasing for somebody, others it could be socially, others it could just be a way to pass time and for some it could even be what gives them food on the table.

Hate to break it to you but that teacher of your don't know what his talking about.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Murder rates for most of the US has gone down since games were first created. Must mean gamers are going out killing people! Oh wait.

captcha made me lol: orkeres teachers

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
proj said:
He's just upset that his "high school-> higher education-> job-> good life= happiness" idea failed him... I mean, he is a teacher.

also, first post :)
YOU KNOW HOW TO SQUEAL DON'T YA? WELL GO ON SQUEAL FOR ME! WREEEEEEEEE!WREEEEEEEE!

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
Radeonx said:
Because people like to find scapegoats to blame, and violent videogames are one of the easiest things out there.
This.

OT: The professor is a simpleton and an asshole. He's probably a hardcore liberal too. The kind that drive the aussies apeshit. If you want to do the statistics, how many major serial killers (i.e. John Wayne Gacy) were known gamers and how many people are gamers? Now, how many of those gamers are serial killers? Maybe one? In millions. Okay. Now let's assume John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dalmer, and Ted Bundy were not gamers. How many people are not gamers? Now how many people who are not gamers are serial killers? Just these three are more then the gamer serial killers. I win.

Ukasuy

Oct 20, 2010
There are lots of studies out there showing that video games do not make children any more violent. You could use a number of those to counter the serial killer claim. Video games can also help develop problem solving skills, so there's something for education. My mom plays a lot of browser puzzle games and last I checked she wasn't obese, a cyberstalker or serial killer.
I of course play video games too (much more violent ones) and I'm not obese or even overweight, I'm not a cyberstalker nor a serial killer. Heck I don't even kill spiders or flies, I just capture them and release them outside (or swat at them for 15 minutes until they find the window).

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
Elvoret said:
Tch.
Gamers can't be killers- we fear social interaction, our bones are brittle and muscles atrophied.

Which is why we kill through mean internet comments.
This right here. Why the other day I got into an argument with a guy in town, I thought, I'd eat heaps, stalk and then murder him if only overeating wasn't the most distributing thing I could think of, going outside wasn't too much effort and I didn't mind dealing with blood.

So instead I something far worse, I wrote an angry e-mail that surly(if he ended up reading it) would have made him wish I was a fat stalking murderer.

/is made up, just in case someone misses that

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
jbchillin said:
My question is why is there such a bad rep about video games? do people honesty believe that games lead to people being serial killers or cyber stalkers?
I'm disturbed by the fact that a history teacher doesnt have an open mind, but i do have the feeling as though he was more likely generalising. Such as: the more you play games the more likely you are to become obese.

Plus it wouldnt suprise me if many serial killers do play violent games. Doesnt mean the games turned them into that, its just playing a game can keep you isolated from society (if you don't judge your time right and way over-play).

But if your history teacher is believing that games can only be a negative thing then he's a twat, who clearly doesn't play games. It's one of those 'I don't do it, so it must be an evil of society'.

I (one day) would like to become a history teacher and I hope to never be close minded towards anything, but unfortunately it happens!

(BTW its late and I dont know if what im writing makes sense... I think it does..)

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
All gay men are flamboyant pansies want to have sex with every male on the planet. Lesbians however are all beautiful, sexy women who want to have a threesome with you
All black people are uneducated criminals
All mexicans are lazy job stealers
All gamers are violent psycopathic loners who have no ability to function in society

See how it fits in nicely alongside a bunch of other equally stupid, ignorant statements?

I hope that answers your question ;).

godfist88

Dec 17, 2010
Games are an easy target, and people aren't smart, bad mouth games as a chance to look smart.

but that's just my opinion.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
So you didn't stand up for what you believe in, in front of people who matter.

Instead you chose to stand up for it here, where everybody already games.

On topic: What our teacher said was fucked up, obviously gaming =! killing.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
proj said:
He's just upset that his "high school-> higher education-> job-> good life= happiness" idea failed him... I mean, he is a teacher.

also, first post :)
Seriously, this.

Good first post dude, welcome.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
jbchillin said:
So I was in history today and my professor was explaining what in life leads to happiness. He was drawing some life diagram on the board and put down what most people do. it went high school-> higher education-> job-> good life= happiness shit economy->shit job=Thoughts of suicide. He then started talking bout bad lives and under high school he wrote ->video games = obesity, cyber stalker, serial killer!
Ok I have to edit a small part of his math.

As to his math on videogames did he even read the first page of the book? He fails at videogame math. I fear his study is biased and should be dismissed.