Gamers Forced To Be Choosy This Christmas

Jak The Great

Jun 24, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.73522.798677 said:
stompy post=7.73522.798403 said:
Indigo_Dingo post=7.73522.798291 said:
You might want to qualify the statement and say it will be tough for Americans.
Dingo, the US economy is linked to the global share market, and if they get hit hard, we do too. Australia is actually going to get hard by this Wall Street Crash; we're not exempt.

As for the article, it does seem to be a reasonable conclusion. Though, I will have a look at the reviews for the game before buying, but I never buy more that 3 games anyways.
Yes, but it remains to be seen if the American crash will be quite bad enough to actively trigger a global depression. The economic state is different than it was 70 years ago, and it is unlikely to actively cripple the global economy to the same degree.
Seeing as how the rest of the worlds governments are cutting their interest rates because of tightening credit for business operations, it's safe to say that everyone is going to be hurting quite badly unless something is done. The world was just beginning to globalize in 1929, I think we've become a lot more interdependent since that time.

As for the Game issue I don't think I'm going to be as affected by the crash, unless my mortgage goes up (which it had better not since it's fixed) the only games so far that are 'musts' for me are Fallout 3 and Gears 2. I'll probably get more, but need to see what's going to happen.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo post=7.73522.798778 said:
Fine, man, I just don't like the prospect of World War III because America screwed up again. Is it so bad to hope?
Hopefully, world war won't be the solution this time around...

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
L1250 post=7.73522.798491 said:
Uncompetative post=7.73522.798464 said:
One of the benefits of being an Atheist is not having to wait until Christmas...
I wasn't aware that there is a law that states that Christians cannot purchase anything at any time other than Christmas.
There isn't. I was referring to the title of this thread:

Gamers Forced To Be Choosy This Christmas.

If it wasn't in some way referring to that section of the market that gives/receives presents around the 25th December, many of whom are by the very nature of the festival reasonably expected to be Christians, then the thread should have been rephrased:

Gamers Forced To Be Choosy In The Fourth Quarter Of 2008.

If I hadn't over-generalized I wouldn't have been able to make the 'joke'.

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
BleachedBlind post=7.73522.798496 said:
Anybody else notice how extremely similar the CoD4 and CoD5 box arts are?
Call of Duty 4 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65504]
Call of Duty 5 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71812]
Oh my god! No way!
Do you think they're... somehow... made by the same people?

I think my finances are adequate to buy the games I want on top of anything I need to get for others.
I was only planning on buying three games (at the very most) anyway.

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
The Iron Ninja post=7.73522.799490 said:
BleachedBlind post=7.73522.798496 said:
Anybody else notice how extremely similar the CoD4 and CoD5 box arts are?
Call of Duty 4 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=65504]
Call of Duty 5 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71812]
Oh my god! No way!
Do you think they're... somehow... made by the same people?
They're published by the same people. I just think Treyarch is once again trying to poorly imitate the work done by Infinity Ward, and now they are going so far as to copy the box art of their predecessor. And why the hell are they going back to World War II?

COR 2000

Jun 30, 2008
Codgo post=7.73522.798178 said:
Could be a rough year for the kids
You're right. Take it from me, it is.

On a Serious note, I hope that the situation manages to improve somehow by Christmas, if possible.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
BleachedBlind post=7.73522.799513 said:
And why the hell are they going back to World War II?
"No one's done the Pacific Theatre before! We'll be hailed as revolutionaries in the World War 2 sub-genre!"

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
stompy post=7.73522.799596 said:
"No one's done the Pacific Theatre before! We'll be hailed as revolutionaries in the World War 2 sub-genre!"
It's tried-and-trueish. It's easy to make a WWII shooter. Plus, just because the guy next to you in the pie-making kitchen suddenly decides to make a cake, and it turns out great, doesn't mean you know how to make one. Stick to pies.

BleachedBlind

May 19, 2008
stompy post=7.73522.799596 said:
Nope, Medal of Honor has a couple Pacific Theater WWII games from a few years ago. Again, Treyarch sucks.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Thank Christ for my savings. I knew not getting smashed every weekend had some sort of advantage to it.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Meh, I've been forced to be choosy with the games I buy, so it's nothing new to me.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
BleachedBlind post=7.73522.799623 said:
Nope, Medal of Honor has a couple Pacific Theater WWII games from a few years ago. Again, Treyarch sucks.
Uh... I was being sarcastic... that was what I heard to be their reason to do a WW2 FPS in the Pacific, but, as you point out, it's been done before.

meatloaf231 post=7.73522.799613 said:
\It's tried-and-trueish. It's easy to make a WWII shooter. Plus, just because the guy next to you in the pie-making kitchen suddenly decides to make a cake, and it turns out great, doesn't mean you know how to make one. Stick to pies.
There's that too, though, I don't think there's anything wrong with a WW2 shooter; it's more about the gameplay, and I didn't play that many FPSs back in the hey-day, so WW2 is a turn-off in a shooter for me.

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
Just get little timmy addicted to mmos over the holiday season, with the way the media are going on about the financial crisis its not like hes gonna have any future anyway.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Khell_Sennet post=7.73522.799467 said:
ThaBenMan post=7.73522.798548 said:
Seriously? Dead Space, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Left 4 Dead, Fable 2 - none of those look any good to you?
Deadspace yes, never been a Fallout fan, never heard of Mirror's Edge, not a big fan of Valve's games so L4D isn't completely off the list, but it's not high priority. And Fable... Fable lost my interest the second they decided to yank the minimap in favor of a dog, and I've learned that what Molenieux promises versus what Molineaux delivers is separated by roughly the same distance as my Canadian ass is from the beaches of Hawaii.

The ones you failed to mention that actually do interest me... Well, ONE, not ones, but Starcraft II, pending the condition it releases this year. Don't know when FEAR2 is out either, but it's about the only other game I eagerly anticipate.
Ok, fair enough. Between you and me, Fable II doesn't look that great to me either, but a lot of people are anticipating it, so I included it. But the rest of those I will probably get at some point. And if you haven't heard of Mirror's Edge [http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/mirrorsedge/index.html], you should check it out, it looks pretty nifty.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
L.B. Jeffries post=7.73522.798727 said:
I call bulls***. Spending patterns in response to financial crisis scenarios have always been strong in the entertainment sector. People stop buying big stuff that costs too much and start spending cash on tiny things to feel less frivolous. And given the unemployment rate and tough future, people are going to be very interested in engaging entertainment.

And people are going to ditch the well known series this year. They're either going to buy the games they've always meant to buy and get at bargain, Call of Duty 4 for example, or pick up games that take a long time to beat, original IP be damned.
I think I have to agree, as my BS-meter tripped a bit on this one too, but for a different reason. The problem with spending on games is that we are talking about personal preferences, which are difficult to assign any real logic. While the high profile games are likely to do well, there are a significant number of less hyped titles that people are anticipating. People may buy fewer games, but they will definitely buy the games they are most wanting to play, whichever those may be.

IsaacDavid

Nov 18, 2008
Hopefully Obama will pull the US out of recession, it still wont keep me from buying Mirrors edge [http://xbox360.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r33008.htm] I have to wait till Christmas though....lol