Gamers have terrible taste in music.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I resent that. >.>
What about all the awesome game-related music? And all the spectacular ingame music? The heroic soundtrack of Bionic Commando (2009); the western-feel tunes in Call of Juarez; the sweet library of songs in Saints Row 2...
In fact, I'm now going to go and listen to Coulton's indie music at the end of the Portal games, just to disprove that statement.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Never in my life before now have I heard that to be a stereotype associated with "gamers".

Then again, the only stereotype that I feel is appropriate for "gamers" is that they play games. Gaming isn't that hardcore niche activity that it used to be in the 80s or even early 90s. Gaming is everywhere now. Everybody games. From people who can appreciate good music to people who think Biebr or... whatever "autotune based pseudo-artist attempting to further a modeling career" du jour is any good.

I've met gamers whom I've debated the qualities of Mozart's and Verdi's interpretations of Dias Irae, and gamers who wouldn't even know those names to begin with. People who love Dream Theater and people who considered Avril Lavigne to be any good.

Really, there's all kinds of gamers. Especially as "gamers" have become... everybody. At which point stereotypes tend to stop making any sense.

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
Not really, gamers as a whole don't usually love music that is otherwise universally hated. But then again I don't really know what gamers listen to, I've never seen a pattern among us when it comes to music.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
Too much of a generalisation. I have been gaming since at the very least 1986. I can play 8 instruments to a professional standard. I have an awsome record collection. Not blowing my own my own trumpet (Even though I blatently just did) All I am trying to say is that you can't pigeonhole that. Just the same as you can't pigeonhole a whole sub-culture or anybody else who posts on these boards. It's all subjective. All that we have in common is that we love gaming. Everything else is just conjecture.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Nautical Honors Society said:
Atmos Duality said:
I have not once heard of this stereotype until now.
Remember kids: It isn't a stereotype unless it's well-known by the public; until then, it's just a plain old gross-generalization.
A stereotype is a gross-generalization.

And just because it isn't popular amongst the gaming community/you haven't heard of it before, doesn't mean it is any less of a stereotype.
It kinda does, because if it was such a stereotype, you'd think people in the group being stereotyped would know about it, especially such a populous group as gamers.

Can you provide examples? Say, a Jay Leno joke about it (Jay Leno of course being the leading expert on terrible stereotype driven humor).

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Muzza-Maaate said:
Tell that to my playlist of Dio, Heaven & Hell, Iced Earth, Metallica, Ensiferum, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath etc.

Anyone who thinks that is bad music is a fag.
I've always thought that was a little strong to say. Don't you think it's too impairing to another's freedom of expresion to insist upon such a subjective statement?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That is a stereotype I had honestly never heard of until now, but as you said it's entirely subjective so it really doesn't mean anything.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Muzza-Maaate said:
Tell that to my playlist of Dio, Heaven & Hell, Iced Earth, Metallica, Ensiferum, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath etc.
Your playlist is eerily similar to my own.

OT: Never knew that was a stereotype.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Not true unless they're the ones overusing literally a handful of songs (count them on one hand, that is) whenever they YouTube themselves playing games "pwning" people.

There's "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" and that one that starts with an obnoxious synthesizer.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
TU4AR said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Yeah, and even when I show them some New Wave to try and broaden their horizons they just laugh at me and go listen to Skrillex. It's quite frustrating.
I'd laught at you and go listen to Skrillex too if you tried to push New Wave crap on me bro.
Wash your mouth out and go listen to some Gary Numan, man.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Sure, i listen to "Screemo", "J-metal" and "Indie" music.
But what a lot of people dont know, is that i enjoy the occasional Opera too :D

Gamers have music choice just as good as anyone else, because its all subjective.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I didn't even know it was a stereotype to be honst with you and this is the first I've heard of it. I will say they do seem to like their metal, but other than that, I don't get it. I will say quirky, but not terrible.

For what it's worth, my personal music tastes are all over the place....so yeah.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I love classical music, Jazz, Latin and old school rock. I also really dig some techno from time to time and I have nostalgia ears for Game music/remixes. Do I have bad taste? Cause I consider myself a gamer.

THE M3RCENARY

May 23, 2010
Muzza-Maaate said:
>Anyone who thinks that is bad music is a fag.
So much stupidity in that statement it is almost pathetic.

All I got out of your post was, "I LISTEN TO A VARIETY OF METAL SO I AM PERFECT ANYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS A FAG."

I thought this forum was supposed to be mature.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Nautical Honors Society said:
You said that you here this stereotype on music blogs? Are these the same arrogant snobs who like to brand all game music as cookie cutter crap due to the medium in which it is presented?

No, I do not think that this stereotype is true. Gamers have as wide a range of music tastes as the music that is present in the games they play. Hell, games can even introduce us to new music genres. I was never much of a techno fan until I listened to Portal 2's soundtrack.

Take that anecdote and shove it up those pretentious snobs rectums.