Gamers less likely to study at uni. *article*

Maclennan

Jul 11, 2010
Hell, im in university right now and love video games. I'm in a friggen professional program not sliding through on a worthless arts degree. I haven't meet any guys at the university that don't have at least one counsel that they use regularly.

Don't take too much offense if your in an arts degree, here its worthless 16+ thousand dollars a year and it only qualifies you for more education to teach art, making a whopping 40 thousand a year before taxes, or to serve food which you can do without the 64+ thousand dollar education.

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
googleback said:
Evil Tim said:
Jmurray21 said:
What I'm getting from the Article is
A) If you involve yourself in a leisure activity, games, you will not go to college or University.
B) is actually "You need to go to university for some reason." I recall an old Times article saying the average salary for a new graduate is £14,000 at a time when a trainee manager at McDonald's got a package worth £18,000 and someone without any degree at all could pull down £80,000 a year as an air traffic controller.

We put way too much emphasis on going to university just being the thing you do after going to school rather than something you do for some actual reason.
EVERYONE i know is going only because they don't know what they want to do. I'm trying to become an actor and i'm good enough without needing to study the history of drama in some uni course that'll put me in debt coming out with nothing but useless knowledge.

I dont know what to say to anyone who goes without a reason, itll be fun i guess but VERY expensive.
Some degrees you do need. Take law for example. Studying the subject and taking a course is going to make you a lot more important in the field and an makes it easier for an employee to decide who to hire. Many other areas, such as acting, shouldn't require a piece of paper. It should take talent.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Load of crap, I know tons of people that play video games rather regularly and we are all going to post secondary education, either because A.) We are smart enough for it or B.) Because our parents forced us.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I'm in Uni studying Film, just registered for next years classes.

I also read and play video games, I'm amazing I know!

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
Jmurray21 said:
Some degrees you do need. Take law for example. Studying the subject and taking a course is going to make you a lot more important in the field and an makes it easier for an employee to decide who to hire.
That's not quite true, you can qualify as a solicitor from being a legal executive (a paralegal, in US terms) without ever actually needing a degree; it just takes longer. Then again, some people learn better by doing than by studying.

InLikeFlynn

Dec 15, 2010
Hm. Graduate students are just above slave on the paid work scale. Also, many individuals pursue degrees because they sheepishly believe that degree=success, a formula which leaves many in debt, unfulfilled, and pursuing feverishly, in a (no doubt) tight job market, a career about which they are not passionate.

Case in point, I am a very successful... plumber, and my A gas ticket lets me pick jobs where I work on fires the size of elephants. Awesome.

Meanwhile, my B.Sc. in Molecular genetics has done squat for me. Oh, except ruin my dreams of gen-enging a flying snake. Yeah...

I guess my point is, even if this were a study proving causation (which I doubt), it hardly seems relevant, or important. Success isn't defined by others, and it's something you can get started on at anytime.

Success makes people successful. Be happy

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
EzraPound said:
Doing anything not related to school curricula--and the refinement of reading skills always is--will detract from your ability to achieve high grades.

Also, a lot of kids who play games a lot come from families where parents are divorced, not affluent enough to enroll their kids in programs, busied with work, or any combination of these. So the issue has as much to do with demography as anything else.
Agreed.

The two phenomena (frequent gaming, not attending a university) may share a root cause, rather than one causing the other. The flu will give me a fever and a cough, but the cough isn't causing the fever.

Children who are gaming all that much are likely doing so without supervision, for whatever reason (Parents are disinterested, parents are too busy, parents don't know what the hell to do, take your pick). In all likelihood, those parents show the same lack of interest in the child's schooling. If the parents aren't interested in school, the kid won't be.

(We're not programmed, as a species, to challenge ourselves unnecessarily... and if no one makes us believe academic achievement is necessary, we're not going to bother with it.)

So gaming isn't causing a problem. It's taking advantage of an empty spot, a void in the schedule. If gaming wasn't available, some other leisure activity would fill that void. TV is probably the most likely culprit... and wasn't TV the kid-killing boogeyman of years ago?

Sep 14, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
My nephews reading has gone up 6 levels since I bought him his DS, just saying. Funny how kids minds work. You give them a book and they are bored silly, if they have to read how to get to the next pokemon gym they are all for it ;)

this is 100% true, my little brother is ridiculously good at games but could care less for books mostly and my mom refused to let me get him a DS (but i did anyways, saved up a weeks worth of pay) got him that, plus pokemon red, and a few younger educational games, and he refuses to put that thing down, he learned the whole alphabet/most numbers up to 50 within a couple weeks, just so he could understand the game and how to beat it.

gamification anyone?

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
I play games, and I read.
Does that balance me out?

Granted I didn't go to Uni this time round, but that's cos I didn't really want to.
Also, lazy.

hem dazon 90

Aug 12, 2008
Vault101 said:
hem dazon 90 said:
INb4 Manchildren try and defend their childish obsession
gaming a childish obsession? people who play games man children? what are you doing on this site?

haha anyway well Im not going to cry "thats crap!" I actually saw this on the news a few nights ago, anyway like any study its not like you can make sweeping conclusions based on this study alone it just takes a little common sense

if you have a kid who reads alot then thats sign (and just a sign not a clear cut fact) that that kid is a little more acedemically/intulectualy focused

video games I guess....well that could be the trait of a "slacker" but not in every case, no you still get big reader intulectual types who also play games (they are called nerds)

anyway we are all induviduals and even gamers know that playing games for too long is harmful

anyway I also find it a little insulting in your assuptions in regaards to gender...women can be gaming manchildren too!....womanchildren?...girl child?, I dont know, eather way I shoud know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAUTXrF5_jQ

And playing games for more then 4 hours at a time is an obsession

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Been playing video games since I was 4 years old, have an bachelor with honours in computer science.

But then again, PC games back in the day required a lot of reading :p

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I find it funny because I can play games all day everyday and then pass tests with little to no studying the night before and do papers in a night and get A's/B's on them.