Gamers Ready to "Graduate" From Wii, Says Take-Two CEO

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gamers Ready to "Graduate" From Wii, Says Take-Two CEO

Take-Two [http://www.take2games.com/] CEO Ben Feder predicts that an entire generation of gamers is on the cusp of "graduating" from the Wii to the more advanced Move and Kinect-based systems.

The PlayStation 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Nintendo/dp/B0009VXBAQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284570250&sr=8-4] in the latest round of the console wars but that doesn't change the fact that it's a distant third technologically. So what will happen when Microsoft and Sony finally get around to unleashing their own motion-control systems? Both companies are late to the party but in Feder's opinion, there's a potentially huge audience waiting for them to show up.

The Take-Two CEO told an audience at the Kaufman Brothers L.P. Investor Conference that his son, who was given a Wii when he was nine years old, refuses to invite his friends over for gaming sessions now that he's in his early teens because he's "too embarrassed" about not having an HD console. How it is that the son of the chief executive of a major videogame publisher doesn't have an Xbox 360 and a PlayStation 3 is a good question, but it's not the point; the point is that Feder thinks there are a lot of people in the same situation and that they're ready to move on.

"What Sony and Microsoft have really done with Kinect and Move, especially Move, is provide a bridge for guys that are used to playing the Wii system with the wand and bringing them over to a HD system," he said. "The PS3 with Move, in my view, is the Wii HD system. I think maybe Mom isn't playing, but the kids are 'graduating,' and Microsoft and Sony have both provided a bridge to bring them over."

"I do believe Nintendo did widen the audience," he continued. "I can't tell you how many people are going to 'graduate,' but I do believe they raised a generation of kids to play videogames that are now growing up and wanting a true HD experience."

PlayStation Move hits North American shelves in just two days; Kinect comes out on November 4.

Source: IGN [http://uk.wireless.ign.com/articles/112/1120624p1.html]

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Playstation 3 is still $400 (if you want the "advanced" motion controls; twice the cost of the Wii) while Kinect still comes off as a joke.

I doubt very much that an "entire generation" is interested in 'graduating' to either of those options.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
there's ALSO potentially a huge number of shovelware titles waiting for the people waiting for kinect and move to come out XD

seriously, i DON'T want to see ANY shovelware on my 360... i DON'T want my console to turn into a hub for fucking "xbox sports" and "xbox petting zoo".... i DON'T want to see big-name and GOOD releases like Mass Effect 3 or Fable 3 be overshadowed by "Xbox Golfing 2011".

but if it makes the consoles last longer and improves the videogame market... then i don't mind.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
This would imply that we learned anything from the Wii other than "Random Stick-Waving Fu" for us to graduate from.

Motion controls are a joke and a gimmick. Good games are what matters and there really are no good games with motion controls.

Ciran

Feb 7, 2009
Wow...yeah, I don't think they're going to get the amount of people migrating as they think they do. HD is honestly not that motivating a factor, at least for me (and most people I know) so I think they should probably work on another angle to draw people in.

dannymc18

Dec 15, 2009
I'm not listening to a word this guy is saying - if the boss of arguably the best games publisher right now will only buy his son a Wii, how can he be taken seriously as an authority on gaming?!

Anyway, our Wii hasn't been switched on in over 2 years, and I'm picking up Move tomorrow, so I guess he has a point.

Still, though. You've obviously got more money than you'll ever need. Buy your kid a damn PS3!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
"I'm sick and tired of my Wii, with games like Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Zelda Twilight Princess, No More Heroes, Super Smash Bros., and EVERY old-school game I downloaded! I'm going to get the Move and Kinect, with their extremely expansive gaming library of... Kinectimals and... Sports Champions and... other games!"

This is why Wii is going to win the motion controls battle: They've had 4 years to get an expansive software library. Most of the games I mentioned are of no use to the new gamer, but in time, they may move up to it. Give the Kinect and Move a few months to actually get games, and then there will be a chance to make statements like that. Besides, the claim say that someone who spent $200 on a Wii and more money on the games will be willing to get rid of it to spend $400 plus on getting a PS3/360, the controllers/Kinect, and all appropriate software/hardware. Software is what people want, not hardware!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
JaredXE said:
This would imply that we learned anything from the Wii other than "Random Stick-Waving Fu" for us to graduate from.

Motion controls are a joke and a gimmick. Good games are what matters and there really are no good games with motion controls.
Oh, yeah, this is also my veiw on motion controls. There are some good games on the Wii, but they would have been better WITHOUT the motion controls.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Not an unreasonable argument. Certainly can see that scenario happening. But this line: "How it is that the son of the chief executive of a major videogame publisher doesn't have an Xbox 360 and a PlayStation 3 is a good question, but it's not the point" cracks me up XD

Console gaming is getting pretty dull for me at this point. Other than the fighting games, my consoles are just gathering dust. :(

dannymc18

Dec 15, 2009
JaredXE said:
Colour is such a gimmick.

3D is such a gimmick.

Analogue sticks are such a gimmick.

Rumble is such a gimmick.

1080p is such a gimmick.

Need I go on?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
An FPS with pointer (wiimote or move I guess) aiming is infinitely superior to thumbstick aiming.

Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Raving Rabids, Metroid Prime 3 all demonstrated perfect motion control usage. Red Steel 2 showed how advanced the extra axis was.

Maybe kids are embarrassed about the Wii but the 24-35 central gaming demographic seems to like it just fine.

This dude is talking out of his bum, he is pissed off he bet on the wrong horse in this console gen. And I bet it stings extra hard knowing there is no "next gen" console in the near future. The ps3 and xbox have nowhere else to go.

All Ninty needs to do if they want another shipment of money is to release a new 1080p Wii with a hard disk, an online service that doesn't rely on stupid friend codes, and HDMI out. What can ps3 or xbox possibly do to compete with that?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
dannymc18 said:
JaredXE said:
Colour is such a gimmick.

3D is such a gimmick.

Analogue sticks are such a gimmick.

Rumble is such a gimmick.

1080p is such a gimmick.

Need I go on?
Yo forgot that DLC is a gimmick.

Online play is a gimmick.

Great point though man. People just don't like change. Anything new is called a "gimmick" until it's universally implemented.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
It seems like a huge assumption that people are only so attached to the Nintendo Wii because of its motion control technology, despite what flaws it may have in other areas. Personally, I bought a classic controller as soon as possible and look for games that are either compatible with it, or don't need it because they don't require that much movement. Don't get me wrong, the motion aspect of gaming is fun when you want to exercise, or have a house full of friends that don't mind making fools of themselves. But I enjoy games more when I can just stare at a screen and mash buttons.

I've... never heard anyone say they refuse to play a Nintendo Wii because it isn't an "HD System." What does that even mean? All my friends just want to play something where they can compete against each other. It doesn't matter what console it's from. The only thing I know for sure is that when it comes to motion-based games, it's still hit or miss as to whether anyone in my social circle won't feel too embarassed to wield a piece of plastic like it's a sword.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
JaredXE said:

I wouldn't go that far. The shooting games on Wii are better than on the console. And you are a unfortunate individual if you cannot find any fun in Wario Ware.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Sad thing about the Wii is that most of it's own First party games don't really utilize the motion controls it advertised to people.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
Sad thing about the Wii is that most of it's own First party games don't really utilize the motion controls it advertised to people.
Would you rather those controls be forced in or tacked on?

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
"What Sony and Microsoft have really done with Kinect and Move, especially Move, is provide a bridge for guys that are used to playing the Wii system with the wand and bringing them over to a HD system," he said. "The PS3 with Move, in my view, is the Wii HD system. I think maybe Mom isn't playing, but the kids are 'graduating,' and Microsoft and Sony have both provided a bridge to bring them over."
Or, you know, they could stop being bitches and use a real controller for responsiveness and/or get on a PC for mouse accuracy.

Anyway, he might have a point. I'm sure the wand-erers are a bit frustrated with the shovelware. Or maybe not, all they seem to play on Wii is Wii Fit and Sports.