Gamers Ready to "Graduate" From Wii, Says Take-Two CEO

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Thorvan said:
I am Omega said:
JaredXE said:
This would imply that we learned anything from the Wii other than "Random Stick-Waving Fu" for us to graduate from.

Motion controls are a joke and a gimmick. Good games are what matters and there really are no good games with motion controls.
Oh, yeah, this is also my veiw on motion controls. There are some good games on the Wii, but they would have been better WITHOUT the motion controls.
De Blob was fun. Red Steel 2 was fun. Bit Trip. Beat was fun.

I can't be the only person who actually enjoys well implemented motion controls, can I?
Oh thank goodness I thought I was the only one
Yeah, anyone who says no good games with motion controls exist aren't playing them. There's been plenty of games I've played that were much smoother once you added the IR pointer (Conduit, Sin & Punishment, Trauma Team), and then there are games that are just silly to play without some form of motion control (WiiSports Resort, the aforementioned Red Steel 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour).

Something I forgot in my first post: Take-Two's statements are more directed towards their investors than anyone else. In a way, they're trying to justify why they're ignoring a very large portion of the market (Carnival Games aside) in favor of a higher-risk environment. "Well, the PS3 with Move is pretty much the Wii HD, so why bother with the classic Wii?"

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Looks like his soon isn't really 'graduating' from the wii, he is just being peer pressured into having a controller with a more popular feature. I doubt anyone who didn't get a Wii four years ago when he was nine would want to 'graduate' out of it.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
dannymc18 said:
JaredXE said:
Motion controls are a joke and a gimmick. Good games are what matters and there really are no good games with motion controls.
Colour is such a gimmick.

3D is such a gimmick.

Analogue sticks are such a gimmick.

Rumble is such a gimmick.

1080p is such a gimmick.

Need I go on?

Actually, 3D (not REAL 3D, but the shit they're trying to pass off) and Rumble ARE gimmicks, as they bring nothing to the party and can be missed. I'd even say that about 1080p, simply because 'Hi-Def' isn't necessarily needed. A good game is good regardless of resolution (to a point, no bringing up 320x280 or some such shit). It's pretty, but that's all.

Colour is rather necessary in most things because it's pretty difficult to determine shades of grey and analog sticks provided easier range of movement over the cross-shaped directional pads.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
BULL...(wait for it)...SHIT!!

Move and Kinetic are a joke and financial catastophies before they've even launched. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I'm not going to pay for this shit, other hardcore gamers arn't going to pay for this shit, why the hell would casual gamers on top of the price of the console itself?

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
No no no. When you 'graduate' from the Wii you move onto a proper controller...or for the advanced placement students, keyboard and mouse.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
The Random One said:
Looks like his soon isn't really 'graduating' from the wii, he is just being peer pressured into having a controller with a more popular feature. I doubt anyone who didn't get a Wii four years ago when he was nine would want to 'graduate' out of it.
Nope! Got a Wii at launch, couldn't imagine getting rid of it! I love my 360, but really, I have never once ever regretted getting a Wii.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Space Jawa said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Sad thing about the Wii is that most of it's own First party games don't really utilize the motion controls it advertised to people.
Would you rather those controls be forced in or tacked on?
I'd rather they work as well as they did in No More Heroes and Twilight Princess. The Wii was made with motion controllers in mind.Why most of the 1st party games don't use that most promoted feature of the console is beyond me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Yo forgot that DLC is a gimmick.

Online play is a gimmick.

Great point though man. People just don't like change. Anything new is called a "gimmick" until it's universally implemented.
Since it remains a gimmick until the novelty wears off, it's going to remain that way.

Doesn't mean gimmicks can't pan out, but those were gimmicks. Gimmicks that were successful, mind....

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
dannymc18 said:
JaredXE said:
Colour is such a gimmick.

3D is such a gimmick.

Analogue sticks are such a gimmick.

Rumble is such a gimmick.

1080p is such a gimmick.

Need I go on?
Yo forgot that DLC is a gimmick.

Online play is a gimmick.

Great point though man. People just don't like change. Anything new is called a "gimmick" until it's universally implemented.
The real kicker to that is simple; it's a gimmick to those for whom it IS new. The kids who grew up on color? That's the standard. Grew up on 3D? That's the standard.

That's the core of what this guy said; there's a whole generation of gamers for whom this IS how they know how to game. They didn't come up the trenches with joysticks and controllers with two actionable buttons and a d-pad only. THIS is their gaming world, and we can decry that till the cows come home, but it's not going to change a damn thing. What CAN happen, however- and is happening -is for the other dogs in the fight to recognize this and adapt to draw in that glut of new gamers.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Not only will his son be embarrassed because he just has a Wii, but now because his dad told everyone that he's insecure over his waggle-cramp arm-flail console of choice. Or maybe he's just embarrassed of his dad and using the Wii as an excuse...

I have a PS3 and 360, but if I even wanted motion control, I'd just buy a Wii. At least then I could play exclusives like Mario and Zelda. Move might have some potential because it is not so restricted, but Kinect would be like like being kept back a year.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
tbh I can't care less about motion controls. When I game it is with a keyboard, mouse, or gamepad, and its going to stay that way. Yahtzee is right: motion controls break immersion.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
More corporate PR non news designed change our opinions. I say that we should just wait for the games and see if they are any good and if they sell as much as the Wii. I imagine that Kinect will sell a lot since Microsoft are spending a huge amount marketing it although I wouldn't be surprised if insecure 13 year old boys were just as embarrassed to show kinectimals to their CoD and GTA playing friends.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Zeithri said:
Here is my letter to this particular CEO;
They just refuse to accept that Wii won outstandingly.
I totally agree with you on there.
I think no one is graduating to anywhere. The Wii has total domination and really there is no point to buy Kinect or Move. I am a big time gamer and I love my Wii the way it is. Even more than my 360.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I really can't believe he used a buzzword like "True HD Experience". Take-Two, there is a reason you're hurting right now.