GamersGate CEO Thinks Buying Impulse Could Be the Wrong Move for GameStop

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
hah nice publicity stunt. more ppl will know wtf is GamersGate after this. Like for example when i notice their existence with the doubling their user base off steam article.

smart move ;)

Seriously i had no idea GG (o hah i see what you did there) was even a DDP XD

Impulses UI is crap. having used it and being completely turned off by it compared to steam.

Quick question tho, is GG like D2D when you DL the game and install? or does it come with some kind of UI that isn't their website?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Gnoupi said:
Some of the arguments from Gamersgate on this article really sound like basic jealousy.

"She picked a really stupid guy anyway"
"For sure he was desperate, to go with her"
"I don't care anyway, I wasn't interested at all"

While the library on Impulse never took off as much as Steam, the client itself is really pleasant, with the advantage of Steam (easy to have up to date games) without having to run it, to play the game. You only need it to install and update.
did not know that. It was always running in the background when i still played Demigod. Now that i don't i didn't even felt it was worth wile to install impulse to get Demigod back on my computer. >.<

chiatt

Oct 10, 2009
unacomn said:
And yes, Impulse has yet unreleased technology, namely Impulse::Reactor, that does just about everything Steam does, but without a cumbersome client.
Impulse::Reactor would be nice, IF we have had any news about it within the last year. There simply haven't been any updates, and Brad is a man who likes post about what he's up to. I'd hate to say it, but I can't help but wonder if the botched Elemental release forced him to shift assets away from Impulse and towards the gaming division.

kamos

Nov 21, 2008
I use both Steam and Impulse. Yes, Steam's community features are way, way better and the game selection is much bigger. Also, Steam does not have Impulse's *atrocious* "region locks".

But calling Impulse a "less talented stepchild" is ridiculous.

Impulse does many things well. The client has a cleaner interface, launches faster, feels more responsive, allows you to play your game without launching the client, allows you to play one game while downloading another, and so on. It just gets out of your way in situations where Steam would keep lagging.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
chiatt said:
Impulse::Reactor would be nice, IF we have had any news about it within the last year. There simply haven't been any updates, and Brad is a man who likes post about what he's up to. I'd hate to say it, but I can't help but wonder if the botched Elemental release forced him to shift assets away from Impulse and towards the gaming division.
In a sense, yes, he stated that up until the release of Elemental, the company treated game making like a hobby, but after the crash and burn, it geared up and actually hired people like Paxton and Shafer. Last time I heard, Reactor was supposed to be available to other companies in some form before summer. Can't find a link to that, but I know it was in this general period.

Gnoupi

Mar 14, 2011
kamos said:
Also, Steam does not have Impulse's *atrocious* "region locks".
Of course it has. Many games are not available in some regions, or delayed according to the region. It's a decision made by the publisher, not by Impulse or Steam. As is the price by region.