Games about a resistance/revolution

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Last night I watched Che Part 1, great film about an interesting topic. Most of the film is about Che and Castro's revolution in Cuba and how it went from being a group of people meeting up at a dinner party, through jungle warfare, gaining recruits, dealing with treachery and disorder in the ranks, to a paramilitary organisation taking down the cities.

All I could think about through the film was how great it would be if there was a game detailing an experience like this. I'd envisage it as some kind of grand strategy/X-Com type game with a big map and lots of micromanagement, going into an urban-battle mode in between planning out rallies and meetings and moving your troops. Over time you could work up from recruiting in lower class areas and conducting small scale jungle warfare to moving to more technlogically advanced urban areas with joint arms warfare using tanks and planes you had amassed and stuff. Your revolution having its own ideology and starting point would be cool as well as randomly generated countries with different demographics and economics affecting the revolution, as well as the type of government you were rebelling against.

So are there any games out there like this...and if not, then why not?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
This sounds like Jagged Alliance with extra features.

I'd like to see an past-times espionage (so, different to Invisible Inc.) TBS, certainly.

But implementing all that as two or three different massive systems seems like quite the ambitious project.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Fable 3, I don't care what anyone else says I love that game.

It doesn't have most, or any of the things your looking for but still revolves around putting an army together to fight off you evil(ish) brother. Gets even better during the second part of the game and you get to be the king/queen.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
You can literally do this in Liberal Crime Squad.

You start off a a disillusioned youth in an extremely conservative American landscape and then go on to bribe, threaten, and seduce your way towards political power. The game is a lot more complex than I could describe since it involves creating terrorist cells, chain of command, and sleeper agents but it does handle that whole "revolution" feel quite well. Unfortunately for some, it's made by the same guy who's working on Dwarf Fortress so you can imagine what it must look like. Still, you can't go wrong with a free game that lets you restructure society through one part terrorism and one part t-shirt vending.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker. You get to build an offshore base, recruit soldiers, manage them, play as them on missions, build tanks, build helicopters, capture enemies, capture enemy vehicles, and even create your own Metal Gear. There's also a co-op mode. You can get it for PSP, but I'd recommend the PS3 version from the HD collection. Also the game takes place in Cuba, mostly.

I'm hoping the army building returns in Phantom Pain.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Republic: The Revolution. You have to lead a revolution against a post-Soviet dictator using either politicking, bribery, or paramilitary force. Great soundtrack, although I remember it being poorly optimized and impossible to learn.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Homefront and Assassin's Creed 3 both feature resistance movements. Homefront: The Revolution which is currently in development looks pretty damn good.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Dead Century said:
Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker. You get to build an offshore base, recruit soldiers, manage them, play as them on missions, build tanks, build helicopters, capture enemies, capture enemy vehicles, and even create your own Metal Gear. There's also a co-op mode. You can get it for PSP, but I'd recommend the PS3 version from the HD collection. Also the game takes place in Cuba, mostly.

Takes place in Costa Rica actually.

OT: Uhhhhhh..... the only ones i can think of are not actually about the management of a resistance, just being part of it withing a larger story. If they even last through the whole story.

Like the Retruners of Final Fantasy VI, or Avalance of FFVII, or whatever the name of Rinoa's group in FFVIII.

hmm... The only ones I remembered were Final Fantasy games.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
Dead Century said:

Takes place in Costa Rica actually.

OT: Uhhhhhh..... the only ones i can think of are not actually about the management of a resistance, just being part of it withing a larger story. If they even last through the whole story.

Like the Retruners of Final Fantasy VI, or Avalance of FFVII, or whatever the name of Rinoa's group in FFVIII.

hmm... The only ones I remembered were Final Fantasy games.
Rinoa's group was badly named "The Forest Owls" almost like they had a single teenage girl and a dog as their marketing department.

I picked up FF8 again today on that train mission after like 2 months without touching it. The PC controls are so bad still, we input time limited randomised 4 digit 1-4 number codes with SXVC when we have two sets of number keys on the fuckin' keyboard. Omega good job Sqeenix 10/10 emulation.

Revolution stuff isn't really my thing, it's one of the things that can be plucked out of the safe story setting/conflict bucket and sometimes I would like a game where you play the government putting down the rebels because all everything is fine forever once a government is overthrown with little plans to put yours in place effectively right?

'S why I liked FTL, you were the government and you got totally dunked by some huge rebel army before the game starts. When the bad guys have a legit Doom Fortress as a flagship you know something went terribly wrong.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Revolution stuff isn't really my thing, it's one of the things that can be plucked out of the safe story setting/conflict bucket and sometimes I would like a game where you play the government putting down the rebels because all everything is fine forever once a government is overthrown with little plans to put yours in place effectively right?
yeah, It seems a very easy right/wrong conflict to set up, too simplistic.....when IRL a lot of revolutions have been anything but clear cut, it also taps into how "cool" it is to be a rebel and not be like all those lame government squares....dude

its funny in red faction guerrilla I questioned if the "rebels" were justified in most of the things they did, considering how many people on earth relied on Mars for resources and crap

this is one thing I liked about Bioshock Infinite, the Vox are somewhat justified...they are also angry and out for blood

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Don't forget that Dishonored was also a take on revolution and how it could go wrong once the dirty deeds have been done and all of the revolutionaries turn into the very establishment they previously took down.

In Red Faction 2, once you took down the dictator, the guys whom helped you then attempted to kill you off.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Operation Flashpoint: Resistance is one of the better games that does this sort of thing. It's all about making actions on the field; you don't get to recruit members or plan missions (though what you can do to complete those operations is typically pretty damn broad), but there are a few key missions where you need to 'acquire' extra equipment and vehicles and the more successful those missions are the more stuff you can use later in the campaign. On top of that any weapons or gear you or your squad scavenges from the enemy in-game is also added to your group's inventory at the end of the mission, and your guys earn experience with each mission which will make you really want to keep em alive.

Damn, now I gotta re-install it.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
This game is one of my all time favorites with that theme:

Bonus: Has awesome soundtrack by Jesper Kyd.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Vault101 said:
The Wykydtron said:
yeah, It seems a very easy right/wrong conflict to set up, too simplistic.....when IRL a lot of revolutions have been anything but clear cut, it also taps into how "cool" it is to be a rebel and not be like all those lame government squares....dude

its funny in red faction guerrilla I questioned if the "rebels" were justified in most of the things they did, considering how many people on earth relied on Mars for resources and crap

this is one thing I liked about Bioshock Infinite, the Vox are somewhat justified...they are also angry and out for blood
I definitely agree that it's a very easy plot device to use. However I'd just love a strategy game focusing on the bigger picture of a revolution rather than just using it as plot dressing for a typical story.