Games about London, England

ArtemCl0ckwerk

Dec 6, 2015
Hi. I m very liked playing in p'n'c games about london. It was tree most beautiful games which i played.
It was Mudlarks, Date in The Park, Scratches. Please advice cool games, prefer athmospheric horros, and mystic games

ArtemCl0ckwerk

Dec 6, 2015
hoh. i found good site http://www.gameboomers.com/independentsday.html
and then i realise that me likes indie games, just idk where find them) and not only london creator so beatiful games, although london very atmospherical

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
ArtemCl0ckwerk said:
Hi. I m very liked playing in p'n'c games about london. It was tree most beautiful games which i played.
It was Mudlarks, Date in The Park, Scratches. Please advice cool games, prefer athmospheric horros, and mystic games
well, it's not point and click but hellgate london was set, obviously in london...

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
You should look up a game called 'The Dark Eye' (or here, I already did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye_%28video_game%29 )

It's a point and click that recreates several Poe stories, and has surreal stopmotion animation. Seems up your alley, OP.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Benpasko said:
You should look up a game called 'The Dark Eye' (or here, I already did https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye_%28video_game%29 )

It's a point and click that recreates several Poe stories, and has surreal stopmotion animation. Seems up your alley, OP.
Two problems is that the Dark Eye, while wonderfully atmospheric, isn't set in London and that I'm not sure how you'd find the damn thing(or run it, being rather fickle).

If it ever shows up on GOG.com it's a first day purchase.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
The Sherlock Holmes Adventures games are mostly set in London. Medievil 2 for PS1 is also set in London. Then of course there's The Getaway 1 and 2.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com It's set in a Victorian London that's been sold for the dearest of prices twisted in the worst of ways and taken underground, serving as the Fifth City to host the Bazaar.

Just play it. Let me know if you get into it and I can give you leg up (at least until you become a Person of Some Importance) by sending you a calling card and making you a protege. Not using my Free Evenings any other way.

Also, there's a few storylines that are incomplete (the game is actively in development) and one that was put in stasis -- a storyline which does nothing but punish you, and from which there can be no reward. Only obsession and self-harm in it's pursuit, all in order to know. But that's safely locked away and at this time you cannot join those on the course Northbound. Those punishments and grasping for those secrets are currently denied you, and as such just remember these words of comfort:

All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well. All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well. ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL MANNER OF THING SHALL BE WELL SHALL BE WELL. ALL SHALL BE WELL. ALL SHALL BE WELL. SHALL BE WELL. SHALL BE WELL. SHALL BE WELL. SHALL BE WELL. NOT POSTPONED. NOT IN THE END. NOT FOR LONG.[footnote]A RECKONING WILL NOT BE POSTPONED INDEFINITELY.[/footnote]

*twitch*

What were we talking about again?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Can i say AC syndicate without being killed here? It may not jump far from the script of other AC games, but it has done a rather wonderful job of recreating the place in great detail. Yes, the story may not be that original, but the attention to detail and historical information is certainly unchallenged so far. I cannot personally fault them for that work.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Schadrach said:
Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com It's set in a Victorian London that's been sold for the dearest of prices twisted in the worst of ways and taken underground, serving as the Fifth City to host the Bazaar.

Just play it. Let me know if you get into it and I can give you leg up (at least until you become a Person of Some Importance) by sending you a calling card and making you a protege. Not using my Free Evenings any other way.

Also, there's a few storylines that are incomplete (the game is actively in development) and one that was put in stasis -- a storyline which does nothing but punish you, and from which there can be no reward. Only obsession and self-harm in it's pursuit, all in order to know. But that's safely locked away and at this time you cannot join those on the course Northbound. Those punishments and grasping for those secrets are currently denied you, and as such just remember these words of comfort:

All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well. All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well. ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL SHALL BE WELL AND ALL MANNER OF THING SHALL BE WELL SHALL BE WELL. ALL SHALL BE WELL. ALL SHALL BE WELL. SHALL BE WELL. SHALL BE WELL. SHALL BE WELL. SHALL BE WELL. NOT POSTPONED. NOT IN THE END. NOT FOR LONG.
*twitch*

What were we talking about again?
I came into this thread to recommend this exact game. If any game has horror, mysticism, and atmosphere it is Fallen London, just don't let your nightmares get to 8 you wouldn't like what happens when it does.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
I actually just started playing ZombiiU, which came out on/close to release for the WiiU. It's a bit more on the budget side, but the atmosphere can be quite good at times, and makes effective use of technology to increase immersion. Things like making you look away from the TV and at your gamepad to look at your inventory (as in, temporarily losing sight of your surroundings), among other things.

Oh, and it's a (zombie) game taking place in London, per OP's request.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Corven said:
I came into this thread to recommend this exact game. If any game has horror, mysticism, and atmosphere it is Fallen London,
On the upside I wasn't sufficiently Northbound when I did my destiny to be up to the candles (I'm merely Marsh-Mired in Dreams of Sustenance), so my destiny is to consume Stone and bear the Light of the Mountain. At least until I need to change it to TORMENT for a candle.

I am however tattooed with my own Name.

May your experiences with Mr Candles be far less terrible than my own, by which I mean may they be non-existent except as Mr Sacks.

How far along in Fallen London are you, anyways?

Corven said:
just don't let your nightmares get to 8 you wouldn't like what happens when it does.
You mean Parabola? Or the Royal Bethlehem? Or perhaps you prefer the other names for those places used when you reach such a state? It's too bad the chapter on Parabola from the good Doctor's book is missing.

Most of this is directed to people less experienced with the game than you obviously are.

Nightmares is interesting in that regard.

Wounds, Scandal, Suspicion, a certain Popular Song, and Turncoat each have their own separate "penalty boxes" (the boat on the river, the tomb colonies, new newgate, the concert, and the traitor's feast). Irrigo and Nightmares are different.

Irrigo has penalties that get worse non-linearly, but no penalty area. The more irrigo you have the larger the penalty you pay per point to be rid of it.

Nightmares has two separate "penalty boxes", and costs you a lot to return from -- the State of Confusion and the Mirror-Marshes (you get the Marshes if you have any Memories of Light). Returning from the State of Confusion costs all of your dream qualities unless you have honeyed laudanum to spare, while the Mirror-Marshes cost only one kind of dream quality and a Memory of Light but you can't avoid that loss.

I've not had to deal with the State of Confusion since getting it (I have plenty of Memories of Light, and get a bit cautious when the cheery man comes calling), but does that particular sort of visit to the Royal Bethlehem cost Stormy Eyed as well? It's a quality gained through dreams, but it's not actually a dream quality.

Speaking of dreams, all the others feel woefully incomplete compared to What the Thunder Said (and with the Northbound path being in stasis, Death By Water is otherwise uninteresting and weirdly rare). But that could be because I'm building towards my second visit to the Mind of a Long Dead God and I've never had Is Someone There? over about 8 (it seems like those cards never come).

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Did anyone ever play Hellgate: London? The concept was bonkers cool, but its reviews weren't all that amazing, but it sounds like something just up OP's alley.

ScaredIndie

Guy who makes gamey things
Oct 21, 2014
Ihateregistering1 said:
Did anyone ever play Hellgate: London? The concept was bonkers cool, but its reviews weren't all that amazing, but it sounds like something just up OP's alley.
I really liked it and to my understanding it is free to play now days.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
sunless sea is set in london. i can't vouch for it's quality, but i've at least heard decent enough reviews about it.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Akytalusia said:
sunless sea is set in london. i can't vouch for it's quality, but i've at least heard decent enough reviews about it.
To be more exact, the Sunless Sea is set in the Unterzee, the underground ocean surrounding Fallen London, the setting of the web game I mentioned above. There are even some things you can do in the web game that unlock goodies in Sunless Sea...and you just reminded me why I bought a Longbox from Penstock's Wicket. I need to turn that in so I can use it in Sunless Sea.

In Fallen London you can visit many of the places in Sunless Sea, just as you touch base in London from time to time in Sunless Sea.