Games and Bugs Come Together as... Art?

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Really, ANYTHING is art these days.

This forum post is art!
our avatars are art !

but i believe what this guy made are either some readymades like Marcel Duchamp, or they have some appeal/impact on the viewer of the exposition.

i say art is getting stupider these years... there's not much of the visual effort of the artist...

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
To an extent, I can actually understand how this could work. Only to an extent, though. It would be a bit much to call it all art just 'cause it's a picture of a buggy game, but I could see some interesting pictures and even symbolism coming from it. Just not all of it.

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
I really like that picture, because yes, it is just a game glitch, but I like that there's a road in the middle of nowhere and its not how things are meant to look and all that jazz. I think its nice :)

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

This forum post is art!
Your forum post doesn't make me question reality like the pic shown (in a Matrix-y way)

Therefore, its not art.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Well ... if you are a believer that games are art, that you must also believe that a 'bug' (whilst undesireable) is merely an extension the art that you are enjoying, right?

So I guess a 'bug' (if you so happen to belong to Gs'R'a argument) should be less of a glitch, and more an artistic flourish, or a painter's using the wrong shade ... but ultimately alloweing it to be less of a flaw and more of a individual 'touch' and anomalous extension of colour, shape, texture and form ;P

Of course most times it's just annoying so what are you going to do? XD

May 14, 2010
Redingold said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

This post is art!
That is because Art can come from anything. It is objective.
You mean subjective, right? It depends on the opinion of the viewer as to whether a particular piece is art. Otherwise, there is some universal definition for art. Which there isn't.
Untrue. Art is art because it is made by an artist, an artist is not an artist because he makes art. Fact. Otherwise it's "just" pretty. A rose might be able to affect you much more than Mona Lisa ever will, but the rose is not designed to be art, therefore it is not. The Mona Lisa was crafted with a purpose. There's a meaning behind, and most importanly - It's created by a humanbeing. If you take a picture of it however, the photograph is art if you as the photographer wants it to be art. Art is not indefinite. It's a very VERY broad term, but not indefinite. Dear people who think they know about art, art is NOT defined at the reception as many think, it is defined at the creation. Now, I know itøs a lot to handle for all you romantics out there, and I'd love to hear your poetic bullcrap about how I am soulless and doesn't understand art, but trust me I know what I am talking about. As a semi-professional musician and art nut.

Bring the shitstorm.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Some find bugs annoying. Some, art. Me, I find them hilarious. Well, as long as they're different. Walking through a wall is nothing special to me. But something that makes charactors act funny, like "Red Dead Redemption"'s bird people, I find hilarious.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
While I usually can't appreciate art so abstract, when we're at the point we are in art where the very basic tenets of what is art is being deconstructed, this kind of stuff is art. A very, very weird form of art; but if it does something for someone somewhere, then its art.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Sporky111 said:
SextusMaximus said:
Glitches are cool, and his shots are good but - I could do this. Anyone could do this, and probably do it better than this guy. I'm not saying what he does isn't good as a hobby, but by no means does it deserve an exhibition. This is astoundingly stupid.

Then again, it's probably better than anything at Modern Art museums.
Well, most art isn't about "well, I could do that". It's about the fact that this artist saw the glitches, saw the potential, and went out of his way to capture it. It's about pushing boundaries and doing new things and making people think differently.

That being said, I'm not particularly fond of these shots aside from Facade 1 and Facade 2, and Junkyard 2010. There could have been more done with it, there could have been more interesting composition and subjects.
I understand, but he didn't really push boundaries at all. I would have more enjoyment packed into 5 minutes of watching the Rooster Teeth team uncover a glitch, then I would altogether in the hour I would use to go to one of his exhibitions. It's not a new light, he's just milking something that's already been done. In my honest opinion.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Kaptajn Emil Alfred Conan Swagga Benzon said:
Redingold said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

This post is art!
That is because Art can come from anything. It is objective.
You mean subjective, right? It depends on the opinion of the viewer as to whether a particular piece is art. Otherwise, there is some universal definition for art. Which there isn't.
Untrue. Art is art because it is made by an artist, an artist is not an artist because he makes art. Fact. Otherwise it's "just" pretty. A rose might be able to affect you much more than Mona Lisa ever will, but the rose is not designed to be art, therefore it is not. The Mona Lisa was crafted with a purpose. There's a meaning behind, and most importanly - It's created by a humanbeing. If you take a picture of it however, the photograph is art if you as the photographer wants it to be art. Art is not indefinite. It's a very VERY broad term, but not indefinite. Dear people who think they know about art, art is NOT defined at the reception as many think, it is defined at the creation. Now, I know itøs a lot to handle for all you romantics out there, and I'd love to hear your poetic bullcrap about how I am soulless and doesn't understand art, but trust me I know what I am talking about. As a semi-professional musician and art nut.

Bring the shitstorm.
One small point to make.

Define "artist".

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
This certain picture has some bit of artistry in it. It's really as written, a facade. Both in-game and as a representation in this pic. Although I've managed to get pics just like this during my early mapping days when I didn't properly fence off things while testing.