Games and their soundtracks

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I'm currently listening to the Saints Row The Third and Saints Row 4 soundtracks, not my normal but both are great for waking me up on a morning.

Other favs include: Mass Effect (all three but the 3rd is my fav) InFamous 1 & 2, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed (Again love them all but Revelations is epic)

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Vegosiux said:
You, sir, deserve a cookie (Or a sixpack of Sarajevsko or whichever beer you prefer).
Sledeći put kada svrnem u Bosnu mo?da se pozovem na tvoju ponudu :p

Anyway, I also loved music from SNK games. Every singe game had at least one song that was just pure awesomeness

PilgrimScott_III

Sep 28, 2011
I absolutely love the soundtrack from 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. An amazing soundtrack from an amazing game. It's one of the things that hooked me from the get-go; specifically, this track from the very first puzzle room:

And tracks like this from the higher tension moments:

And from some of the more emotional moments:

Seriously, if you haven't already, play this game :)

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
No Hotline Miami? I am disappointed.

I still listen to this, even though its the music theme for the weeboo space elves its good.

A newer song, suits the pseudo-Victorian world the game is set in.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm replaying Final Fantasy Adventure on the Game Boy (Or Sword of Mana on the GBA) and the entire soundtrack up to Medusa's Cave is basically a great chunk of my childhood. Aside from Final Fantasy Adventure I remember games on the Game Boy having surprisingly good soundtracks despite the simplicity of those games. Kirby's Dreamland, Super Mario/Wario Land, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Pokemon in general, all really good stuff. Aside from those I really like the Donkey Kong Country soundtracks...and Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, IX &, Mystic Quest...ESPECIALLY Mystic Quest.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Transistor has an awesome OST.
I'll see your transistor and raise you a bastion.

To the moon had an awesome ost as well in my opinion. It really set the tone of the story well:

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
There are many games that I like the music of, but the ones that I have bothered getting the soundtracks for are Bravely Default, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X, XI, and XIV (as well as the Black Mages, Nanaa Mihgo's, and Distant Worlds albums and various piano collections), Bastion, and Portal 2. I'm sure there are a few more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The Digital Devil Saga has the best soundtrack of any games I've played, screw Persona, this is Shoji Meguro's best work.

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
No mention of Silent Hill 3's soundtrack? It's pretty amazing, and I still listen to it today. Silent Hill 4's 'Room of Angel' is also a great song.

Milten

Oct 4, 2013
I have to go with Mass Effect and the Gothic series. Especially the Gothic 2 soundtrack creates an amazing atmosphere. Shame the original composer (Kai Rosenkranz) left Pyranha Bytes.

Ah, and To the Moon of course.

SteveTR

May 4, 2012
There are three soundtracks that I really love.

The first soundtrack is the Super Metroid soundtrack. When I heard the music in-game, it sounded really awesome and I immediately loved it. Then I listened to it on its own and started noticing the little bits I've missed before. The OST is part of the reason Super Metroid has become my favorite game of all time. My favorite song from the soundtrack is the Crateria Theme. When I first heard it, I had to stop and listen to it. Also, even though it's triumphant and all, I get vibes of desperation and fear from it. It does it for me.

The second soundtrack is the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack. It just fits the atmosphere perfectly. Dancing Mad is one of the best final boss themes I've ever heard. Oh, the days when I would play Mount & Blade Warband while listening to this one song.

Last but not least, the Civilization IV soundtrack. Baba Yetu was already mentioned a couple times in this thread, but I just feel the need to praise the entire soundtrack. Yes, most of the songs are well established arrangements from history, but that's what makes it so special for me. Conquering other civilizations while listening to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Dvorak etc. is an amazing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e0Qelqp-Cc&list=PLE590090E8AEE130A

Shoutout to Civilization V for doing the exact same thing and also kicking ass at it, although it's not just European music anymore. Unfortunately, it's impossible to find even a playlist of the songs, since there's just so many of them.
So, here's one of the songs I like the most.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Damn I got ninja'd hard for most of mine lol.

But right now my current favorite OST has to be from Fire Emblem: Awakening. My god I can't seem to shut up about this game :/

If this song doesn't feel like marching into a climactic battle of the ages then I don't know what does.

Then this one plays during a level after a very sad moment in the game's story-line, and is just a fantastic piece of music.

One of the main characters sees their older sister killed and is powerless to stop it from happening.

Full OST playlist link for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1XVfcR2cvA&list=PL58D398750F1219D8&channel=GilvaSunner

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
The Silent Hill games have become progressively worse since Konami abandoning them, but every once in a while, the soundtrack sports a gem...

Silent Hill, pre-'Murrica, has some of the best soundtracks in any video game series. Ever.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
visiblenoise said:
I like Garry Schyman a lot. He's the only game music composer who has done work I genuinely love listening to without having played the game (Dante's Inferno). I can appreciate his stuff on its own, whereas with other soundtracks I also really enjoy, I'm not so sure I'd be as into them if I hadn't enjoyed the full presentation with the game.
He also did Bioshock 1,2, and Infinite's soundtracks and dear lord do they work really well with the games.

Other noteable ones I like are Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, Beyond Good and Evil (though sometimes it annoys the shit out of me), Metal Gear Solid series, and the Silent Hill series....or at least the first 3.....