Games Critics Called Bad That You Loved Anyway

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
ddq5 said:
Alpha Protocol was really underrated. Critics wrote it off as buggy, derivative, and dumb. I still think it's a super fun game; the dialog system actually works very well, the characters are memorable and endearing, the gameplay, while easily broken and somewhat unchallenging due to idiot enemy AI, is still entertaining. Shame that it got stuck with illogically damning scores in the 70's and Sega isn't interested in a sequel. And it's really not as buggy as people say.
Yeah, AP got a bad rap, but once you got into it, it was pretty good, in an Obsidian kind of way.

Also, Bioshock 2 and Medal of Honor. Bioshock 2 wasn't original, but I actually like playing it more than the first. Medal of Honor was fun, and I still consider Belly of the Beast one of my favorite levels in modern FPSs. The end was outstanding.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
To join the wave, alpha protocol. You got rewarded for figuring out NPC's, and, yeah, they may have been a bit one-dimensional(Ice cold chick that loathes you if you flirt, but falls in love with you if you are all business-like, etc) but at least you got rewarded for figuring out NPC's mental approach, you don't get that element in many RPG's.

rutcommapat

Jul 1, 2011
Saints Row 2 comes to mind. And while it wasn't really "Bashed" by any critics, none of them really said anything beyond "It's fun", while I considered the game to be one of the best games of this generation.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Monster Hunter on the PS2, it got slammed in north america for lack of lock on and a few other things but it was amazing.

Funny how each new MH game gets better and better reviews even though they still have not changed most of the stuff the original got flack for.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
rutcommapat said:
The Virgo said:
I really enjoyed and still enjoy Driv3r. The thing is, I discovered how to play it so it's fun. My dad and I take turns playing the "quick escape" and "survival" and we have a great time! Survival is just so crazy, it's like the ending to the Blues Brothers!
I remember enjoying Driv3r mostly because it's so terrible. I have some hilarious replays saved on my PS2 memory card of some of the most ridiculous glitches ever seen in a free-roam game.

But beyond the "So bad that it's good" factor, I found Driver 3 to have fantastic driving, some creative mission design, good graphics, and regardless of attempting to shamelessly copy some aspects of GTA, did admittedly come up with some features that I wish the GTA games had started using earlier (Example: Mid-mission checkpoints). Too bad that every other aspect of it was so endlessly bad.
Yeah, it did have a lot of shortcomings, but it was fun. One great glitch is that sometimes in the "Lose the Tail #3" driving game, near the hotel, on the right hand side facing towards mainland Miami, sometimes a random car will swerve off the road near the toll-booth, fall through the ground and explode. I would always joke that the person driving it was evil and they went to hell! XD

But yeah, the best way to enjoy it is to play a driving game with other people and pass the controller around. And in games like survival, you can each time your rounds and after five (or however many you want) rounds, the person who survived the longest wins.

Also, you can actually win Survival mode. I'm serious. And the cops actually act a little more humble afterward.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Duuude... Yahtzee did his review on Ghostbusters, citing several problems with the game that never happened. Defects and such which my playthroughs (all of them) failed to turn up at all. So, I had to conclude that his copy was defective, because it sounds like he was miserable and I had real fun with it.

AnthonTheSkabot

Jun 22, 2010
Marc Ecko's Getting Up, the story wasn't bad and the gameplay was fun.
Reservoir Dogs, the driving was horrid, but the rest of the game was pretty good.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
DNF. I don't care what people say, I had more fun with this than any Halo of CoD game released in the last decade.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Nicolairigel said:
Bioshock 2, I loved running around drilling splicers and using the electrocute plasmid as a flamethrower :D The ending, especially the sad neutral ending, was very touching, and I found the plot to be interesting. Honestly, while I agree the first was better, I didn't thing it was by that much *shrug*

Also, not to mention the big sisters were awesomely terrifying
Seconded.
I really was looking forward to this and I wasn't disappointed. I knew it wouldn't be as great as the first, but I had a lot of fun, enjoyed the story and just that it was something different set in the always intriguing Rapture.

Ridrith

Aug 17, 2009
I actually really liked all of the Onimusha games, I don't know... I thought they were damn fun. I played through, and beat all of them.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Well, I remember enjoying Goldeneye: Rogue Agent quite a bit, but I was young and stupid back then.
Don't worry, I liked it too.

I still maintain that your powers drained too much energy though. It gives you a bitchin' energy blast type thing, but it takes like all of your energy, and takes fucking forever to recharge.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
GameInformer gave God Hand a 6.5b and they said nothing about it outside of the 2 gay bosses. I stopped reading them about 2 issues later where they heralded some GTA (I forget which one) as one of the best games ever made.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mirror's Edge is my favorite game of all time. Yahtzee described it as an "eight hour fecal waterslide" and cited several problems the game doesn't have.

So... yeah.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
This sounds like a good place to be in further denial about the lack of quality of the things one likes.